“Second stay -- just as wonderful as the first” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advanced Purchase Rates
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
New York
“Second stay -- just as wonderful as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Last year, booked 30 rooms and had a two day conference at the Toll House, to rave reviews by all attendees. Every detail of our meetings, breaks, breakfasts, lunches, all were perfectly executed. Came back for 3 nights this May with Mom, two aunts, 2 cousins -- in town for a wedding at Testarossa Winery. We had such a wonderful stay. The management at the Toll House welcomed us and treated us like family. Rooms comfortable, love the coffee & tea, front desk responded efficiently and pleasantly to our requests, every meal at the restaurant was wonderful (although I did sorely miss the macaroni and cheese that used to be on the menu!). Will definitely be staying here anytime my travels bring me back! Kudos to all of the staff at the Toll House!

• Liked — The personal touches, the small town feel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

After reading the reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about staying in the Toll House, which was booked for me for a business trip in nearby Saratoga. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to encounter none of the negatives mentioned in previous reviews, and that I enjoyed my stay.

My only real complaints about the property were that the whirlpool/hot tub was broken for the entire (3 night) length of my stay, and that it was a LONG walk from the elevator to my room on the third floor. I know there was another elevator, because I used it to go up from the lobby, but the signage was so poor that I could never find it to go down!

The room was very comfortable, and it had a true rarity for a hotel: a window that opened! The Featherborne bed was very comfortable, although it was a little warm, even with the window open at night. I loved the clock-radio that actually had excellent sound quality and was already on when I arrived in the room. The DVD/CD player was also very useful since the TV channel selection was somewhat limited. The amenities in the room were very helpful: decent shampoo/lotion, and a jar of cotton balls and swabs.

I didn't get the chance to eat in the Three Degrees restaurant/bar, but it was evidently very popular in the evenings. I'm glad that the noise was not noticeable in my room!

• Liked — Comfortable, cozy room
  • Disliked — LONG walk with my luggage from the elevator!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

A group of moms and I stayed at the Toll House over the weekend as our first get away from our babies. My expectations were pretty low based on the previous reviews I read about the hotel therefore I wasn't disappointed (nor impressed). The rooms were nice (we stayed in a suite) and the bed was very comfortable. The walls were paper thin therefore you could hear your neighbor clearly as well as the street traffic and in our case, the freeway. Not sure if the rooms in the back of the hotel have the same issue w/street noise but worth asking for a room at the back of the hotel. Our only other issues were waiting for 35 minutes for a hamburger at the hotel restaurant (we were one of four tables eating lunch) and when we called for late check-out (1pm) the gal at the front desk was quite rude about the request. Overall, I would have to say that the Toll House is a very average hotel w/mediocre service. If I were to return to LG, I would probably try another hotel.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Salinas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

We just got back from a quick over night to Los Gatos, Ca at the Toll House Hotel. We had tickets to see Lewis Black at the Mountain Winery and the Toll House was recommended to us.
The main entrance to the hotel is not well marked but this was not a problem once we found it. The front desk staff was polite and efficient. Our room ($169.00) was on the 3rd floor and was very nice but it was a long walk from the elevator to our room (#310). There is more then ample parking either outside the main entrance or in the downstairs garage. There were also plenty of handicapped parking spaces. We had a large room with all the accouterments, including great coffee and tea.The balcony was also very large but only had 2 plastic chairs and no table. The bath and shower were standard and the robes provided were yummy to wear! The air conditioner worked great if a little loudly. The bed was wonderful with 3 different kinds of pillows for each of us...a down pillow, a foam pillow and a cotton pillow. The turn down service was a great touch. We slept like babies.
There was no pool but a large hot tub, the hours wher not posted and the front desk was not sure of the hours either.
The restaurant and bar are conveniently located in an large, airy room off the main lobby. We met our friends at the bar and ordered Martini's and the waitress dumped the whole tray of 4 drinks onto our table and vodka, olives and broken glass went everywhere. Everyone seemed more concerned about the waitress and not how drenched our clothing got. They did not comp the drink order and I felt they could have handled the whole episode more professionally. Later in the bar for a night cap, the bartender, a young woman, was very uptight and unfriendly. She measured my Courvoisier in a shot glass rather then free pouring it and then dumped it into the snifter without heating it first. It was a very stingy shot and pricey.
We ordered breakfast in our room, scrambled eggs, Yukon gold potatoes and bacon for my husband and lox and bagel with a side of Yukon gold potatoes for me ($32.00 plus tip). A huge pot of coffee finished the meal. The coffee was outstanding and the breakfast arrived right on time.The lox and bagel were okay but the presentation was pitiful and I have had better. The potatoes were cooked using some kind of unpleasant cooking oil and gave them a funny flavor. The free morning paper was a welcome extra. It would h ave been helpful if there had been a table on the deck as there was just a small desk in trhe room and no chair. We made do with using the provided plaid throw blanket as a picinic cloth and ate on the bed.
Los Gatos is a wonderful little town in the middle of the busy bay area. It was very convenient to the Mountain Winery and only took us 10 minutes to get tour our concert. There are plenty of shops and restaurants downtown on the same street at the hotel. We had a great meal, if a little pricey, for 4 adults at Steamers...a dozen fresh oysters on the half shell, calamari and 4 entrees without salad, a bottle of very reasonably priced wine all for $208.00 plus tip.
I would definitely stay here again, especially for a one night splurge like this one was. ....almost forgot to mention the "Toll House" cookies available in a basket at the front desk...they were great!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Bar staff and service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oakland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stay in hotels often and know that we are in for trouble when a hotel thinks it is better than it actually is.

First the positives: good location (though watch out that you don't hop on the 17 south as the north entrance is blocks away), free business center (though only 2 computers), free wifi/ethernet, good initial general feel to the place.

Negatives: awkward check-in as the driveway is not easy to find. Most park in the basement garage and take the one elevator up to the lobby mainly because they could not find the entrance to the parking lot leading to lobby.
The one elevator that is extremely slow. Luckily only 4 floors, but still, you have to wait a long time for it.
Service is varied: mainly young college, maybe high school kids working there, seems like for a summer job. Because they are young, and inexperienced, they try to make up for it by being authoritative and knowledgeable, where they talk a lot but "ain't saying nothing" I asked if there was a convenience store of some type, and after talking for a while, the front desk guy said there might be a Walgreens down to street, past the one light. (there is more than one light downtown). To be fair, there were a couple of very pleasant and helpful persons (Brandon and ??) that went out of their way to serve us, and who were not so authoritative and official.
No late check-out: what's the deal with this? When I asked if we could have a late check-out, they said probably not, but their "policy" was that they don't even consider it till the morning of, so to call, but to not expect much because they were "full". When I called in the morning, before I even finished my sentence, the gal up at the front, said very officially, "No late-check out...we are full" I've been to plenty of hotels and NEVER have I been denied a late check-out. It's always, "no-problem".....now, I am not staying to 4 or 5, but 1p or 2p. (noon is checkout). They do not have that many service-people to clean all of the rooms at noon so again, I was annoyed at their lack of understanding, in their quest to be so official and knowledgeable.
NOT family friendly: restaurant/bar, lobby, no fridge, and lack of swimming pool all make it hard for a family to stay here. If I were single, and in my twenties, it might be appealing, but having a baby and being in thirties, it just seemed like a big frat-house.

Overall, it is barely a 3-star place that acts like it is a 4-star place.
This place could choose to be classy, but the management will have to learn how treat people. Right now, I think they are happy with the college feel to the place.

• Liked — free business center
  • Disliked — management's business model
  • Tips/Secrets — not worth the price
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

A great alternative to the cookie-cutter big brand hotels. The Toll House is just off Main Street in the heart of very quaint downtown Los Gatos. The rooms are spacious, clean, and even include a personal entertainment system - DVD, CD and radio. The network connection was solid, the desk comfortable, and the bed dreamy. If you are headed this way for business, you couldn't pick a better place to stay.

A word of warning... downtown Los Gatos is not condusive to late night dining. If you're getting back from the office late, grab a bite to eat on the way in.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

I had a a fantastic 4 night stay here this past weekend. The beds were very comfortable and the staff very friendly and fantastic. The rooms were nice and ours had a balcony. The starbucks coffee in the room was very welcome. The food in the restaurant was very good though the service was a bit uneven. I highly recommend the sourdough stuffed french toast - really amazing. The bar has a good selection of wines and beer. The location is centrally located for Los Gatos and not far from San Jose. I really, really appreciated internet access and use of the business center was free! That's reason in itself to go back! As far as Los Gatos the little sushi place with just a counter is very good as well as the mexican food at Pedros. I would avoid the Los Gatos Brewing Company though.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Toll House Hotel? Share your experiences!