“Great hotel with average restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advanced Purchase Rates
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Stonington, Connecticut
“Great hotel with average restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff at the front desk were remarkable; they and all the other staff we dealt with on the hotel side of things were extraordinary. They were the most competent the most friendly that we hever dealt with.. Unfortunately they were in quite a contrast with the waitstaff the restaurant. Getting the attention of a waiter was almost an ordeal. They were either understaffed and overworked or simply indifferent to what they were supposed to be doing. The food was quite good; it did not live up to the level of the hotel staff; but it was certainly better than most hotels have to offer. So our recommendation is to go there to stay in the hotel and do your best to eat somewhere else.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jim G, General Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Hank7503
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your visit to the Toll House Hotel. While I am very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel service, I am disappointed that your restaurant experience was below your expectations. We have had some really positive reviews regarding the restaurant recently, but I will also share your specific feedback. It is important we look where our opportunities are and continuously improve. Your feedback is valuable.

Thank you again. I hope that you return to the Toll House soon and have a perfect experience throughout your stay.

Best Regards,
Jim Gerney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I’ve stayed here three times now over the last few months, and I just made a reservation for later this month. As others have mentioned, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I was impressed that the front desk people even remembered my name and said hi when I was walking through the lobby, but I can never remember anyone’s name so that always impresses me. Ha! And you can’t beat the location a few steps off the main drag downtown.

The rooms are well kept, clean, the beds are comfortable enough, they have a video library where you can check out free movies and play then on the DVD player in your room, and I’ve never had any noise issues from other guests or in the halls. There are only a couple of things I might mention for improvement.

(1) I found the internet connection to be spotty, slow and unreliable, and it was a problem on my first stay because I usually have to do some work when I’m there (even on weekends), my work depends on a solid internet connection. Fortunately, I have a mobile hotspot that is not all that fast, but gets me by with a reliable connection. Otherwise, I might have had to cross this hotel off my list entirely, but I read a note from the manager on here that they are upgrading their internet and it should be completed by this month, so I’ll have to test that out on my stay at the end of the month.

(2) There is only one ice machine on each floor – which can be a long walk from your room, and I think they are on their last leg. Every time I’ve tried to use them (doesn’t matter which floor) I can barely get anything out of them. I keep having to push the button over and over to get a few half frozen cubes with each push. Time to replace, I think (hint, hint). :-)

Still gets 5 stars from me though. Overall, I really like this unique hotel and feel very comfortable and at home here.

Room Tip: I think the courtyard rooms are what they consider their preferred rooms, but I personally like the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Excellent hotel, excellent staff. Stayed there 6 days. Wonderfully helpful desk clerk Amanda, and extremely helpful person on their engineering/maintenance staff named Tony, are just two of the many staff people who went out of their way to make it a comfortable experience.

Tony (who went out of his way, with skill and creativity, to devise a fix for a problem I was experiencing with my car) confided that he was leaving for a different position in another hotel in two days, but he added that he was leaving only because of a higher position opening up elsewhere, and that he would really miss his co-workers and management at the Toll House because "it has been a wonderful place to work at." That the staff apparently is treated well shows in how they in turn treat guests. Tony also shared that after he becomes experienced at the higher position at the other hotel, he hopes in a few years to be able to return to the Toll House to head their engineering/maintenance department. If he does, I know the Toll House will be getting a top rate manager.

I recommend this hotel most highly, because of its people.

Green Features: they are very into sustainability, low impact, recycling
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Abel V, Front Office Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Rob S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this invigorating feedback and recognizing some of our amazing staff that we are so lucky to have with us. Your absolute comfort is our main goal and I am pleased to hear that during your 6 days with us, we were successul. Thank you again for recommending our hotel and we would love to welcome you back on your next visit.

Best Regards,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights while we attended a wedding. We loved it so much we changed our other hotel reservation and returned the night before we were flying out of the area. The service was wonderful, the staff were very helpful. We enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel. Around the area there are several good restaurants and lots of little shops. On Sundays there is an amazing farmers market outside the hotel that has just about anything you could want. We went and ate there twice! Our stay was extremely memorable and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently for our one year anniversary, and we had an amazing time! I highly recommend staying here as everything was perfect. The staff is amazing and as attentive as any luxury hotel where you would pay three or four times the price. Special thanks goes out to Abel and Emily (and Pam in the hotel restaurant). They all helped to make our anniversary such a special time. The room was very comfortable, and the view of the mountains was amazing from our balcony. Excellent location: My wife and I took a day trip to Santa Cruz, and it only took us about 25 minutes to arrive at the beach. The shops around the hotel are upscale and nice, and we indulged in a massage at the spa affiliated with the hotel, pricey, but VERY NICE. We take trips to Santa Cruz often, and we are going to make this our regular hotel for our trips. We can't wait until our next luxurious stay at the beautiful Toll House!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd floor with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Abel V, Front Office Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Rod W,

It was such a pleasure to meet you and your wife personally, and I am absolutley thrilled to know that everything was perfect during your visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor, it means a lot to us. We all anticipate your next visit to the area so that we can provide you and your wife another special stay. Have a wonderful summer!

Yours in hospitality,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Toll House for 5 nights in late March and we have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. Upon arrival we were met by very warm and helpful staff, making check-in very easy and pleasant. All of the other staff we encountered during our five days were equally nice! What a pleasure!
The rooms were nice, and the bathrooms were beautifully updated and clean.
The location could not have been better - walking distance to the beautiful 'downtown' area.
When we come back to the Los Gatos area, we will definitely stay at the Toll House again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

A great place to stay if you are a road warrior. The front desk is great. Carlos & Annleigh are was there to help you out. 3 degrees is a great place to eat. Pam is always there to great you with a smile. When you need a drink ask for Jen, mike or Austin. Caitlyn the manager will go out of her way to get you whatever you need.

• Stayed March 2013
Abel V, Front Office Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Coltbarnett,

Thank you for such an encouraging review. It sounds like you have made many wonderful connections with our team. We want to say thank you for being our guest and the outstanding recognition that you have shared. You are like family when you stay with us, and we wish you nothing less than a memorable stay. We truley are energized by feedback like this. Have a great day!

Yours in hospitality,

Abel Veloz

Been to Toll House Hotel? Share your experiences!