“Great Front Desk!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Middletown, Maryland, United States
“Great Front Desk!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with very helpful front desk.....always a plus for the weary traveler checking in! The upper level rooms have a beautiful view which overlooks a courtyard with fire pits. There are beautiful white lights strung between the balconies. Very pretty. Bathrooms are immaculate and stocked with high end shampoos, conditioners, etc. I did not eat on the premises but the restaurant looked very nice and lively in the evening. The only con was that I was told upon check-in that 50 dollars per night would be charged to my credit card to cover any amenities I might use in the room. For two nights, this was an added 100 dollars up front, even though I am one that never utilizes room services, or eats or drinks from the stocked refrigerator when I stay in hotels. I felt that this is a very high amount to be added to the room rate, and it should have been clarified when booking.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Will F, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Christina W.,

Thank you very much for your great review. We are very happy that you loved the rooms, views, and bathroom. And we are thrilled with your opinion of our "Great Front Desk!" Our wonderful employees really do make the difference, throughout the hotel.

Thank you also for the feedback on our CC authorization policy. While it is now standard industry practice to authorize an additional amount at check-in which allows guests to charge meals or other items to their room account, your review is a helpful reminder that not all guests are expecting this. When no charges are added to the room account, this additional authorization is released at check-out. We hope this did not inconvenience you greatly.

Warm regards,
Will Farrow
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Newport Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great small hotel near shops and restaurants. The room we got had an updated bathroom/vanity. Soap and shampoo are in a dispenser, so for someone like me with long hair, quantity was not an issue (though the pumps do not work well - I must have had to push on it twenty times to get a sufficient amount of product). The room was not heated prior to our arrival, so it was freezing, and the heating unit is a bit loud. No gym...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jim G, General Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear trylmnke:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback of our hotel. Your comments are valuable as we are currently looking at options to improve the dispensers. They have been well received, and I understand that there is area for improvement. We have also been replacing the heater units throughout the hotel. As part of the final phase of renovation, we are almost complete with our new fitness room. I expect it to be completed in the next 45 days.

Thank you again for your feedback. We continually look to improve on the experience of our guests, and these comments help us do so. I trust when you return your will be pleasantly surprised that your comments went directly to our actions. Thanks again!

Jim Gerney
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I held an offsite sales meeting for about twelve (12) people at the Toll House. The service was fantastic and the space was perfect for our event. I would definitely recommend the Toll House to anyone looking for an outstanding meeting venue. They really are small town charm with modern sophistication!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'm in the San Jose area about one night a week for business and have tried various hotels in the last few months. Toll House has become my personal favorite. Rooms are spacious and clean. Suites are magnificent and include a fireplace. Rooms are very quiet and private. The hotel staff are very helpful and courteous. They are always ready to do the right thing for the customer. AnnaLee in particular has been very helpful to me. And they will give me very nice chocolate chip cookies any time for no charge - even late at night.
So the hotel is very nice. The bonus is the neighborhood. I love hotels where I can walk out the front door and quietly explore, finding quality restaurants, coffee shops, etc. within a couple of blocks. This is Los Gatos - a quiet gem at the edge of a noisy Silicon Valley. And if you have daytime to explore head over to Santa Cruz - just 15 minutes away.
Finally the room rates are very reasonable. In addition I can often get a very inexpensive upgrade to a suite (maybe they know me by now ?).
If you want a hotel with a lot of flash and many different restaurants this may not be for you. But everyone else should love this place.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It all started when we checked in. A warm greeting and both deskmen were very attentive with all our needs. Had a beautiful room that was recently decoratived and made us feel like king and queens. We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar and had a delightful conversation with the bartender. The bedding was so comfortable we slept like babies through the night. Had breakfast in the Hotel and our waiter was very friendly and the food was delicious. Had a great time walking down the main strip shopping and spending a carefree day. Will return the next time we stay in los gatos and maybe even if we wanted to go to Santa Cruz. This is a hidden resort that everyone should consider spending some relaxing time.

Room Tip: Room 303 good size and looked over the fountain and outdoor patio. It is also pet friendly so we pl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at the Toll House for a weekend for a friend's wedding and was completely blown away by their attentiveness and willing to go above and beyond what any other hotel has ever done.
On our first day there they gave my friends and I handfuls of these yummy, soft, freshy baked chocolate chip cookies. This of course made all of us very happy:)
A few hours after we checked in, the porter named Doug (who by the way has got to be one of the most courteous and cheerful person I've met) knocked on our door with A BOX OF CUPCAKES. He told me they were compliments of the hotel and carefully lined enough cupcakes for all of us, even making sure to alternate between the pretty dark and light pink frosting. It was so adorable and I was just speechless at their surprise.
They continued to go above and beyond my expectations when I called to see if I could stay in a double even though I had booked a queen for the next day and they immediately granted my wish for no additional cost, even though the double was slightly more expensive than the queen I had originally booked.
All of the hotel employees I encountered (especially Doug) were so friendly that it obvious that they care about and put hard work into their job everyday. Absolutely LOVE this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Will F, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you blagunas! We love to hear great stories about our staff members providing excellent service. It sounds like Doug really went above and beyond for you. Our genuine warm and friendly employees like him make the difference. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hope you return soon.

Best regards,

Will Farrow
Director of Rooms Operations
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Made a mistake in the booking date for our reservation and didn't realize it until the day we were supposed to check in. We called the hotel and asked if they could move It to another date. Abel, the agent who took the call, did so willingly and politely even though the hotel didn't have to so do.

Thanks Abel, for giving us great customer service!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Will F, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you stringman101 for taking the time to share your experience. Abel is our Front Office Manager who clearly leads by example. I am glad that you were happy with the service he provided. We look forward to providing more great service during you next visit to Los Gatos.

Best regards,

Will Farrow, Director of Rooms

Been to Toll House Hotel? Share your experiences!