“Faded Glory” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Dayton, Nevada
“Faded Glory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I'm a native of the area, and Los Gatos Lodge was once the first choice of visitors to Los Gatos. 40 years ago. Now, it's still a beautiful site, on a piece of premium land up against the Santa Crux Mountains, but the years haven't been kind. The room was cheap by South Bay standards, office staff is very helpful, and check in was quick. The hotel filled up by the time we left for dinner, with tour buses and tradespeople mixed in with the usual travelers like us. We were assigned a second-floor room above a nail salon, and while room was comfortable and the view of the grounds was nice, the room hadn't been properly maintained. It looked like someone had made an effort, but wasn't good at what they were doing. And the balcony was covered with leaves and dirt, so housekeeping wasn't helping much. The TV was old and dim. On the bright side, the towels were high quality, and the room had excellent wifi. A passable comp breakfast is served in the bar, a surreal experience. A big, dimly-lit place, it reminded me of the ballroom at the Cal Neva lodge in North Tahoe. The Halloween decorations added to the gloominess of the scene. Pastries, hard boiled eggs, cereal. Check out was quick, and freeway access, along with proximity to the many excellent restaurants in Los Gatos, is a plus. Despite the drawbacks, a good choice for budget lodging in an expensive area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We've done our best to keep each room in tip-top shape Steve, but it's true that the years passed have taken a bit of a toll. Updates are being made as we speak so that Los Gatos Lodge will see it's glory days once again! I am surprised to hear housekeeping skipped over your balcony prior to your visit, I'll be sure to follow up with the team on this.

On another note, I'm glad the quality of our amenities shined through, and that you had an enjoyable stay overall. I hope you'll think of us again the next time you're back in your hometown!

Cecilio Reyes - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have learned the sandwich technique. State the good, then the bad, then the good. There was only one good. The lady at the front desk seems like a nice person.

Now the rest. Room 116 is having a tough time. The wall paper is peeling. There are stains on the floor. The AC unit sucks. The bathroom is dirty. The stall shower grout is shot to heck.

The only other good is that the sheets seemed clean.

Room Tip: If you are stuck going here avoid building 1A. It has the laundry and the cleaning staff office in i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Since we pride ourselves on offering our guests both an enjoyable and comfortable stay, I'm sorry to hear room 116 didn't live up to your expectations, Mark.

Our property is on the older side, and while we do our best to keep it looking like new, I think you'll agree there's not many things that can escape the effects of time! With that said, we are in the process of upgrading many of our rooms, and we'll be sure to place you in one of those should you return. I'll also follow up with the cleaning staff to ensure we're doing a thorough cleaning between guests, especially when it comes to the bathroom. Thanks for letting me know.

We do offer the best price in the area, and feel our older lodge provides our guests with charm and character! I hope you'll give it another chance to warm up to you the next time you're in Los Gatos.

sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed a Saturday night, room is what you would expect for 110 dollars so no complaints, a bit damp and could have been better cleaned. Check in service was excellent, and they even offered us umbrellas as it was raining at the time. Breakfast was very basic so we just had cup of tea. However, i was i a rush when i left the hotel and forgot to pack my brand new make up set in a case, kind of expensive so I asked a friend to pick it up as he lives in the area. When i called the hotel to ensure that my makeup set could be picked up in reception i was told that the cleaner who cleaned the room Sunday had not returned nor reported any findings.. I asked them to investigate further and called back again the following day but received the same answer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review, Tina. We pride ourselves on offering our guests cozy and comfortable accommodations for the best price around. Although, I'll be making sure we're doing a more thorough cleaning between guests from here on out. As for our breakfast, we feel we offer everything our guests need for a great start such as hot oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, variety of breads for toast, cereals, pastries, donuts, juices, coffee, water, tea and more. I'm disappointed to know you weren't impressed.

Lastly, I'm very sorry to hear your make up bag has yet to be found. All of our employees are honest and caring, so I'm confident that if you indeed left it here, it will turn up! I hope you'll think of staying with us again in the future.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Average motel in heart of Los Gatos. Affordable pricing. Small gym, pool, free wifi. If you get a room facing the field there will be matching band practice on Sunday mornings. Entertaining to say the least!

• Stayed August 2013
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! It sounds as though you were satisfied with your stay. I hope you'll think of staying with us again in the future!

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I found the Los Gatos Lodge to be excellent value for money. The rooms were basic but they were clean and comfortable. Although I spent most of my time out and about any time I was in the room was fine. The complementary Continental breakfast was more than adequate to get you started in the morning. I have no complaints about anything. The Los Gatos Lodge was definitely better than I expected.

Room Tip: The upper floor room had less noise from the car park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, Alex! We really appreciate your positive feedback! I'm so happy to hear you were so pleased with your accommodations. Providing our customers with the best possible rate and value for the Los Gatos area is what we pride ourselves on. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations on all counts! Hope you'll think of staying with us again in the future.

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After booking my stay I saw some very negative reviews regarding this particular lodge BUT having stayed there 2 nights this past week, it truely EXCEEDED my EXPECTATIONS:
From the lobby.front desk personel, cleanliness, Bar & Grill, customer service, grounds I was more than pleasantly surprised. It is not the Hampton but it more than met my needs and what a wonderful setting - grounds were beautiful.
I can see that they are up grading their furniture in the rooms as needed and decor but I WILL BE BACK - It was just a few miles from the Oakridge Mall which was where I was doing business on this stay.
I felt completely safe and enjoyed the atmosphere of a quiet gettaway at the end of a work day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Kevin! We sincerely appreciate it! We could not be happier to hear your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing our guests the best possible experience at an affordable rate. It's wonderful to know that's exactly what you received! Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Gatos.

Salinas, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The best thing about staying here was the amusement it provided, laughing at how utterly inadequate it is. The couch in our room had visible stains, as did our bed cover. The couch upholstery had also been chewed to threads in 2 places by a dog. We stayed in a suite, and the door to our bedroom was so warped it was impossible to close. Ordered the chinese chicken salad at the bar and grill and after an interminable wait found that they'd forgotten the chicken. Had 4 guests checked into our room and had to call the front desk to ask for enough towels, soap, etc.

The grounds are nice enough, but the rooms are disgusting. Your dog might like it, but you won't.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We take a lot of pride in our property, it's disheartening to know you found it to be inadequate for your needs.

As you know, we do allow our guests to bring their dogs. This accounts for the damage to some of our furniture, I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. We are in the process of purchasing new couches for our suites and will take your feedback into account and make sure they get taken care of them properly. We also offer the most affordable price in the Los Gatos area. To do so we have to sacrifice some luxury. Although, we are in the process of updating several of our rooms in hopes of offering a better experience to our guests.

On another note, I'll be sure to share your concerns with the grill. It's never our intention to have you wait so long for your meal. I apologize with the mix-up with your order. I too would have been disappointed and will speak to my staff to make sure they orders are taken and made properly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Our rooms are prepared for 2 guests at a time, which accounts for the lack of towels and soap in your room. As you mentioned, if more are necessary, we are always more than happy to provide them for you. If you have any further concerns, feel free to contact me at creyes@losgatoslodge.com.

Take care,

4.5 of 5 stars 337 reviews
Clarion Collection Bristol Hotel
Larkspur Landing Campbell
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Campbell - Pruneyard Plaza

Been to Los Gatos Lodge? Share your experiences!