“Budgetminded” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Los Gatos
Chicago, IL
“Budgetminded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Average motel in heart of Los Gatos. Affordable pricing. Small gym, pool, free wifi. If you get a room facing the field there will be matching band practice on Sunday mornings. Entertaining to say the least!

• Stayed August 2013
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! It sounds as though you were satisfied with your stay. I hope you'll think of staying with us again in the future!

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I found the Los Gatos Lodge to be excellent value for money. The rooms were basic but they were clean and comfortable. Although I spent most of my time out and about any time I was in the room was fine. The complementary Continental breakfast was more than adequate to get you started in the morning. I have no complaints about anything. The Los Gatos Lodge was definitely better than I expected.

Room Tip: The upper floor room had less noise from the car park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, Alex! We really appreciate your positive feedback! I'm so happy to hear you were so pleased with your accommodations. Providing our customers with the best possible rate and value for the Los Gatos area is what we pride ourselves on. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations on all counts! Hope you'll think of staying with us again in the future.

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After booking my stay I saw some very negative reviews regarding this particular lodge BUT having stayed there 2 nights this past week, it truely EXCEEDED my EXPECTATIONS:
From the lobby.front desk personel, cleanliness, Bar & Grill, customer service, grounds I was more than pleasantly surprised. It is not the Hampton but it more than met my needs and what a wonderful setting - grounds were beautiful.
I can see that they are up grading their furniture in the rooms as needed and decor but I WILL BE BACK - It was just a few miles from the Oakridge Mall which was where I was doing business on this stay.
I felt completely safe and enjoyed the atmosphere of a quiet gettaway at the end of a work day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Kevin! We sincerely appreciate it! We could not be happier to hear your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing our guests the best possible experience at an affordable rate. It's wonderful to know that's exactly what you received! Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Gatos.

Salinas, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The best thing about staying here was the amusement it provided, laughing at how utterly inadequate it is. The couch in our room had visible stains, as did our bed cover. The couch upholstery had also been chewed to threads in 2 places by a dog. We stayed in a suite, and the door to our bedroom was so warped it was impossible to close. Ordered the chinese chicken salad at the bar and grill and after an interminable wait found that they'd forgotten the chicken. Had 4 guests checked into our room and had to call the front desk to ask for enough towels, soap, etc.

The grounds are nice enough, but the rooms are disgusting. Your dog might like it, but you won't.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We take a lot of pride in our property, it's disheartening to know you found it to be inadequate for your needs.

As you know, we do allow our guests to bring their dogs. This accounts for the damage to some of our furniture, I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. We are in the process of purchasing new couches for our suites and will take your feedback into account and make sure they get taken care of them properly. We also offer the most affordable price in the Los Gatos area. To do so we have to sacrifice some luxury. Although, we are in the process of updating several of our rooms in hopes of offering a better experience to our guests.

On another note, I'll be sure to share your concerns with the grill. It's never our intention to have you wait so long for your meal. I apologize with the mix-up with your order. I too would have been disappointed and will speak to my staff to make sure they orders are taken and made properly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Our rooms are prepared for 2 guests at a time, which accounts for the lack of towels and soap in your room. As you mentioned, if more are necessary, we are always more than happy to provide them for you. If you have any further concerns, feel free to contact me at creyes@losgatoslodge.com.

Take care,

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place gets 3 "stars," simply because of the staff. Otherwise, I would have given it 2 at most.

I stayed here for 2 nights while attending a wedding in the area. As far as Los Gatos hotels go, the Lodge is certainly one of the most affordable and is also quite conveniently located -- just off the freeway ramp and a quick drive from the quaint downtown Los Gatos.

The hotel reminded me more of a nicer motel with an outdoorsy feel (units surround a small putting green). I didn't mind this context, since I knew it was a cheaper place to stay, but our experience over the following night made the stay overall underwhelming.

We had a queen room that was a bit musty and in need of spiffing up. First thing I noticed was that the room did not have enough lighting -- only a bedside lamp to illuminate the entire room. The windows were missing solid curtains -- VERY uncomfortable. The wifi connection was also very weak, despite our room being right next to the unit's router. The clincher: our night's sleep was disturbed for hours by very loud conversation next door, and our bathroom smelled like smoke in the morning (assuming smoke had come up through the outdoor vents). The front desk staff did try to address the noise by calling the neighbors and then going over, but it was only after many attempts that the noise finally quieted down in the wee hours of the morning.

The next day, the staff handled our complaint well and moved us to another room. After moving once again, we finally had a new room in a quieter area. This one seemed more recently renovated and also had curtains, but still only a bedside lamp for lighting. The wifi also did not connect here, but was well functioning in the front desk area. This 2nd night, we slept well.

While I very much appreciate the staff's efforts and courtesy, I still would not recommend this place -- which is unfortunate, given the great locale.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Emily. While I'm glad our warm and attentive staff made your experience more enjoyable, I'm sad our accommodations didn't live up to expectations. It sounds like your first room was one of our older rooms, as we're currently in the process of making updates and upgrades.

As you noted, we tried our best to quiet down your neighbors, but it seems we were unsuccessful. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience they caused you. However, I'm glad we were able to move you into one of our updated rooms the second night, your comfort and satisfaction are top priorities of ours.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to our lighting, we'll definitely take it into consideration as we continue to update our property. I hope you'll give us another chance should you ever return. I know we can provide you with the delightful and relaxing stay you deserve.

Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

WARNING! DO NOT STAY HERE. This hotel absolutely DISGUSTING. The overall amount of filth in the room was unacceptable. The bathrooms were not clean, the floors were dirty with old smelly indoor/outdoor carpeting, the bed looked like a thin mattress from summer camp. The worst part of the room was the overwhelming stench of mold, old cigarette smoke and delousing powder or bug spray. We checked in before a wedding the room smelled right away due to the fact we were hours away from home we thought we could try and make it work. When we came back to the room after the wedding and were actually able to look at the room we were appalled. When we checked out at 10:00pm to drive 3 hours back home the hotel staff would not accommodate us in any way shape or form. I called the "Manager" the next day and was offered 15% off my stay....even though I didn't stay. The Manager said they were sold out and could have used my room, which if this were true I would understand, but the hotel was not even close to being sold out. There were maybe a dozen cars in the parking lot and nobody around. Even if the hotel was sold out, I would have expected better customer service and accommodation for the price I paid.The lack of professionalism and customer service by the entire hotel staff as well as the hotel "Manager" was THE WORST I have experienced at any hotel. Let me be clear, we were NOT expecting the four seasons for the price we were getting. We were expecting a clean, functional non smelly room. Our expectations were not high. The fact that this hotel is even in business surprises me. I don't care how cheap this hotel is compared to other hotels in Los Gatos, but you couldn't pay me to stay here. It wouldn't matter if this hotel was $20 a night, I wouldn't stay here. The fact they charge up to $200 a night for this dump is shocking to me. I don't know what I would have done if that was the rate I was originally booked at.
I would have expected our room to be credited back to us in full after how poor our experience was and how disgusting the rooms were, as well as the fact that we didn't stay and checked out the same night. I would have been SATISFIED with 50% off our room, but that wasn't even offered.
If you read this and still decide to stay at the Hotel expect to wake up smelling like cigarettes, mold, sleeping on a 30 year old mattress in dirty sheets, and by the look of the room I wouldn't have been surprised if there were bugs.
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this hotel.

Room Tip: Any hotel in Los Gatos would be better than staying at this dump.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
As I stated in the response to your Yelp review, it's upsetting to know you had such a poor experience with us. I am sorry that you felt our rooms were not to your standard. While we are an older hotel, it is our goal to ensure that our facility is maintained and cleaned to meet the highest standards. We also offer some of the best prices in the area. Rest assured, your comments have been discussed with my housekeeping staff so that we can be more thorough and attentive in the future.

Unfortunately, as we previously discussed, we were unable to offer you a full refund due to you using and keeping the room for more than 8 hours. Due to your late night departure we were unable to re-clean the room and offer it to another traveler on a weekend when the Los Gatos area was sold out. However, we did offer you a discount as a courtesy in an effort to provide you with the best service possible. Thank you for voicing your concerns. It will be a huge help to us moving forward.

Best,

Cecilio Reyes, General Manager
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just returned from a short stay at the Lodge during the week of June 23. The GOOD: If you value great outdoor settings, this is the place. The grounds are very spacious and very nicely appointed - little oasis in the middle of Los Gatos. Also, it is one of the few hotels in the area to accept pets, albeit at a daily cost. It is party central if that appeals to you...with lots of activities like Happy Hour, weddings, and a pool. It sports an old fashioned bar/grill so food is readily available on site. So if you want to be centrally located in Los Gatos at a relatively inexpensive room rate - around $110, this is the place. The BAD: Be forewarned that the rooms are old, soiled, dated, smelly and TINY! Also, it appears that many of the rooms are rented out for long term residents. If you seek peace and tranquility, weekends and the weddings may be off-putting. A slightly better than continental breakfast is included in the room rate, but served only until 9:00 am on weekdays and doesn't start until 8:00 on weekends...not very convenient for vacationers. The UGLY: We had a confirmed reservation and checked in around 3:00 to find that while the room appeared to be cleaned, the beds were not changed. We deposited the suitcases in the room and were assured that the beds would be changed by the time we returned at 8:00 pm. Room at 8:00 looked exactly as it had at 3:00. We asked for another room since we were informed that the cleaning staff was off duty, moved everything - only to find out that the bathroom had been used in this room, with seat up, toilet paper askew, soap used and towels on counter. So onto the third room, which, while not great, appeared to have been serviced (at least I had hoped it was). With two rooms not completely serviced, I had doubts about the quality of the cleaning. The final room had two queen beds, with the air conditioner positioned on the wall, at the head of one of the beds. We were unable to reposition the air flow because all the louvers were broken...so cold frigid air blew constantly on my head. With the room so tiny, there was no way to avoid the artic breeze freeze. We improvised with duct tape (never travel without it) and a towel to help divert the air. Did I mention that the temperature outside was running nearly 100 degrees so air conditioning was absolutely necessary. Also, while equipped with room darkening drapes, there is a large frosted window with no covering just above the "vanity" so that the outside lights shine in all night and the first light of dawn fills the room. So much for sleeping in! One night we ordered room service. While the sandwiches were good and reasonably priced, it took over an hour and half to get them, when we were told it would be around 20-25 minutes. When it arrived, part of the order was missing as well. There is a $4:00 service charge for delivery. The worst part...the tray with leftover food and utensils, which is normally picked up by the cleaning staff, was still there the next evening...even after I set it on the bed the next day so that it would be easily seen by the cleaning staff. It took two phone calls and three hours before someone came to retrieve it. Also, to our dismay, the cleaning staff failed to replenish the plastic cups one day. We didn't notice until we were getting ready for bed at midnight and trying to take our nightly meds with cupped hands full of water! So that's my story. Shame on me for not reviewing the hotel on Trip Advisor and good on you for reading Trip Advisor so you can make an informed choice. My recommendation to management - you might want to spend less time responding to the Trip Advisor comments and more time looking after the facilities. I strongly suggest instituting a quality assurance program for the cleaning staff including extensive and repeated training. Someone needs to check the rooms after they are "cleaned." Also, a little bit of training to the front office staff might avert a lot of issues, such as the room service debacle. Having just reread my comments, I am thinking twice about ever trying the Lodge again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for voicing your concerns, shiloh36. We believe responding to our customer reviews is just as important as looking after our property. It allows us to review and evaluate the feedback we're receiving from our guests, which helps us know how to move forward. I'm sad to hear you find it to be unnecessary.

I'm sorry your stay with us was so disappointing. Your room should have been thoroughly cleaned before your arrival, I'm not sure why this wasn't the case. Rest assured, I'm doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this and to ensure we're always prepared for our guests in the future. Although, we do get busier in the summer, it's no excuse for such poor maid service. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I hope you'll consider giving us another try in the future. As you mentioned, our grounds make for a beautiful and relaxing setting in the middle of Los Gatos.

Best,

Cecilio Reyes, General Manager

Been to Los Gatos Lodge? Share your experiences!