“Great staff, but quite underwhelming” 3 of 5 stars

Los Gatos Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Los Gatos-Saratoga Road, Los Gatos, CA 95032   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great staff, but quite underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place gets 3 "stars," simply because of the staff. Otherwise, I would have given it 2 at most.

I stayed here for 2 nights while attending a wedding in the area. As far as Los Gatos hotels go, the Lodge is certainly one of the most affordable and is also quite conveniently located -- just off the freeway ramp and a quick drive from the quaint downtown Los Gatos.

The hotel reminded me more of a nicer motel with an outdoorsy feel (units surround a small putting green). I didn't mind this context, since I knew it was a cheaper place to stay, but our experience over the following night made the stay overall underwhelming.

We had a queen room that was a bit musty and in need of spiffing up. First thing I noticed was that the room did not have enough lighting -- only a bedside lamp to illuminate the entire room. The windows were missing solid curtains -- VERY uncomfortable. The wifi connection was also very weak, despite our room being right next to the unit's router. The clincher: our night's sleep was disturbed for hours by very loud conversation next door, and our bathroom smelled like smoke in the morning (assuming smoke had come up through the outdoor vents). The front desk staff did try to address the noise by calling the neighbors and then going over, but it was only after many attempts that the noise finally quieted down in the wee hours of the morning.

The next day, the staff handled our complaint well and moved us to another room. After moving once again, we finally had a new room in a quieter area. This one seemed more recently renovated and also had curtains, but still only a bedside lamp for lighting. The wifi also did not connect here, but was well functioning in the front desk area. This 2nd night, we slept well.

While I very much appreciate the staff's efforts and courtesy, I still would not recommend this place -- which is unfortunate, given the great locale.

Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Emily. While I'm glad our warm and attentive staff made your experience more enjoyable, I'm sad our accommodations didn't live up to expectations. It sounds like your first room was one of our older rooms, as we're currently in the process of making updates and upgrades.

As you noted, we tried our best to quiet down your neighbors, but it seems we were unsuccessful. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience they caused you. However, I'm glad we were able to move you into one of our updated rooms the second night, your comfort and satisfaction are top priorities of ours.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to our lighting, we'll definitely take it into consideration as we continue to update our property. I hope you'll give us another chance should you ever return. I know we can provide you with the delightful and relaxing stay you deserve.

Cecilio Reyes - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

WARNING! DO NOT STAY HERE. This hotel absolutely DISGUSTING. The overall amount of filth in the room was unacceptable. The bathrooms were not clean, the floors were dirty with old smelly indoor/outdoor carpeting, the bed looked like a thin mattress from summer camp. The worst part of the room was the overwhelming stench of mold, old cigarette smoke and delousing powder or bug spray. We checked in before a wedding the room smelled right away due to the fact we were hours away from home we thought we could try and make it work. When we came back to the room after the wedding and were actually able to look at the room we were appalled. When we checked out at 10:00pm to drive 3 hours back home the hotel staff would not accommodate us in any way shape or form. I called the "Manager" the next day and was offered 15% off my stay....even though I didn't stay. The Manager said they were sold out and could have used my room, which if this were true I would understand, but the hotel was not even close to being sold out. There were maybe a dozen cars in the parking lot and nobody around. Even if the hotel was sold out, I would have expected better customer service and accommodation for the price I paid.The lack of professionalism and customer service by the entire hotel staff as well as the hotel "Manager" was THE WORST I have experienced at any hotel. Let me be clear, we were NOT expecting the four seasons for the price we were getting. We were expecting a clean, functional non smelly room. Our expectations were not high. The fact that this hotel is even in business surprises me. I don't care how cheap this hotel is compared to other hotels in Los Gatos, but you couldn't pay me to stay here. It wouldn't matter if this hotel was $20 a night, I wouldn't stay here. The fact they charge up to $200 a night for this dump is shocking to me. I don't know what I would have done if that was the rate I was originally booked at.
I would have expected our room to be credited back to us in full after how poor our experience was and how disgusting the rooms were, as well as the fact that we didn't stay and checked out the same night. I would have been SATISFIED with 50% off our room, but that wasn't even offered.
If you read this and still decide to stay at the Hotel expect to wake up smelling like cigarettes, mold, sleeping on a 30 year old mattress in dirty sheets, and by the look of the room I wouldn't have been surprised if there were bugs.
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this hotel.

Room Tip: Any hotel in Los Gatos would be better than staying at this dump.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
As I stated in the response to your Yelp review, it's upsetting to know you had such a poor experience with us. I am sorry that you felt our rooms were not to your standard. While we are an older hotel, it is our goal to ensure that our facility is maintained and cleaned to meet the highest standards. We also offer some of the best prices in the area. Rest assured, your comments have been discussed with my housekeeping staff so that we can be more thorough and attentive in the future.

Unfortunately, as we previously discussed, we were unable to offer you a full refund due to you using and keeping the room for more than 8 hours. Due to your late night departure we were unable to re-clean the room and offer it to another traveler on a weekend when the Los Gatos area was sold out. However, we did offer you a discount as a courtesy in an effort to provide you with the best service possible. Thank you for voicing your concerns. It will be a huge help to us moving forward.

Cecilio Reyes, General Manager
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just returned from a short stay at the Lodge during the week of June 23. The GOOD: If you value great outdoor settings, this is the place. The grounds are very spacious and very nicely appointed - little oasis in the middle of Los Gatos. Also, it is one of the few hotels in the area to accept pets, albeit at a daily cost. It is party central if that appeals to you...with lots of activities like Happy Hour, weddings, and a pool. It sports an old fashioned bar/grill so food is readily available on site. So if you want to be centrally located in Los Gatos at a relatively inexpensive room rate - around $110, this is the place. The BAD: Be forewarned that the rooms are old, soiled, dated, smelly and TINY! Also, it appears that many of the rooms are rented out for long term residents. If you seek peace and tranquility, weekends and the weddings may be off-putting. A slightly better than continental breakfast is included in the room rate, but served only until 9:00 am on weekdays and doesn't start until 8:00 on weekends...not very convenient for vacationers. The UGLY: We had a confirmed reservation and checked in around 3:00 to find that while the room appeared to be cleaned, the beds were not changed. We deposited the suitcases in the room and were assured that the beds would be changed by the time we returned at 8:00 pm. Room at 8:00 looked exactly as it had at 3:00. We asked for another room since we were informed that the cleaning staff was off duty, moved everything - only to find out that the bathroom had been used in this room, with seat up, toilet paper askew, soap used and towels on counter. So onto the third room, which, while not great, appeared to have been serviced (at least I had hoped it was). With two rooms not completely serviced, I had doubts about the quality of the cleaning. The final room had two queen beds, with the air conditioner positioned on the wall, at the head of one of the beds. We were unable to reposition the air flow because all the louvers were broken...so cold frigid air blew constantly on my head. With the room so tiny, there was no way to avoid the artic breeze freeze. We improvised with duct tape (never travel without it) and a towel to help divert the air. Did I mention that the temperature outside was running nearly 100 degrees so air conditioning was absolutely necessary. Also, while equipped with room darkening drapes, there is a large frosted window with no covering just above the "vanity" so that the outside lights shine in all night and the first light of dawn fills the room. So much for sleeping in! One night we ordered room service. While the sandwiches were good and reasonably priced, it took over an hour and half to get them, when we were told it would be around 20-25 minutes. When it arrived, part of the order was missing as well. There is a $4:00 service charge for delivery. The worst part...the tray with leftover food and utensils, which is normally picked up by the cleaning staff, was still there the next evening...even after I set it on the bed the next day so that it would be easily seen by the cleaning staff. It took two phone calls and three hours before someone came to retrieve it. Also, to our dismay, the cleaning staff failed to replenish the plastic cups one day. We didn't notice until we were getting ready for bed at midnight and trying to take our nightly meds with cupped hands full of water! So that's my story. Shame on me for not reviewing the hotel on Trip Advisor and good on you for reading Trip Advisor so you can make an informed choice. My recommendation to management - you might want to spend less time responding to the Trip Advisor comments and more time looking after the facilities. I strongly suggest instituting a quality assurance program for the cleaning staff including extensive and repeated training. Someone needs to check the rooms after they are "cleaned." Also, a little bit of training to the front office staff might avert a lot of issues, such as the room service debacle. Having just reread my comments, I am thinking twice about ever trying the Lodge again.

Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for voicing your concerns, shiloh36. We believe responding to our customer reviews is just as important as looking after our property. It allows us to review and evaluate the feedback we're receiving from our guests, which helps us know how to move forward. I'm sad to hear you find it to be unnecessary.

I'm sorry your stay with us was so disappointing. Your room should have been thoroughly cleaned before your arrival, I'm not sure why this wasn't the case. Rest assured, I'm doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this and to ensure we're always prepared for our guests in the future. Although, we do get busier in the summer, it's no excuse for such poor maid service. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I hope you'll consider giving us another try in the future. As you mentioned, our grounds make for a beautiful and relaxing setting in the middle of Los Gatos.

Cecilio Reyes, General Manager
Fresno, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel room stunk so bad we could not even stay. The halls smelled of heavy cigarette smoke and the room smelled like a dead cat. We actually got our money back and went across the street to the Los gatos motor inn. 20 times better if you can believe that. I will never recommend the Los gatos lodge. What a huge disappointment and a sad state for such a landmark hotel in a beautiful town. If it said horrible on here that is what I would have chosen.

• Stayed June 2013
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
I'm sad to hear this, CAgolfgirl. We do everything in our power to make sure our rooms are clean and accommodating, I'm sorry this wasn't the case during your visit. Rest assured, we've already started looking into the unpleasant smells. I hope you were still able to enjoy your time in the Los Gatos area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

If location is all you care about, no need to read reviews. If you want something inviting, a home away from home, then don't come here. Although if your idea of a home away from home is nasty stained carpets and couch, then again, look no further.

The website makes this hotel seem very nice... then you enter your room and think, "it didn't look this run down on the website." I even went back to check and they had to have used a more recently renovated room. Although the picture did show the old bulky 80's style TV.

Pros:
- spaceous room with kitchen that can be closed off from the rest of the room, thankfully since we couldn't close the blinds
- sprawling and fairly well kept grounds
- pool (with a fence so close all the chairs are outside of the fence, seemed odd to me)
- no bugs of any kind seen
Cons:
- room had a unpleasant smell even after getting an air freshner
- stained carpet
- stained couch (put the bed comforter over it before I would sit on it. Housekeeping figured out what I was doing and covered the couch with sheets, which was appreciated)
- blinds in the kitchen were missing wand preventing adjustment for privacy.
- wifi was not dependable
- the tv was outdated
- the bathroom was small, lacked counter space and the shower is perfect for someone 5'4". I'm 5'9" and the base of the shower head was level with the tip of my nose.
- customer service was lacking. On 2 separate occassions to the front desk the staff that came into the area acted as though I were invisible. The person covering the desk absent momentarily. They were the only one to acknowledge my presence and they did so politely once they came to the front desk.
- the wallpaper is either poorly done or so old its beginning to peel off the walls. Probably the latter.
- there was still masking tape on the bathroom door knob from when it was painted.
- had better breakfast at cheaper hotels. And they seemed to always be out of coffee.
- poor quality for the price, the typical excuse by everyone for it... location

We cut our time short, went to another hotel in Campbell that was 100 times nicer and a tiny bit cheaper. This hotel has potential but needs major renovations. If the charm of the 80's is what they are after, then they should advertise it as such and not use it as an excuse why it doesn't meet what people expect.

Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Randi. I'm sad to hear our accommodations didn't live up to expectation. We do not make a point of promoting ourselves as a luxury hotel, instead we offer our guests a comfortable and spacious stay conveniently located close to the Los Gatos center.

We're also in the process of making several updates, starting with the carpets. In addition, we pride ourselves on the lush and welcoming grounds that surround our lodge. While I understand your disappointment, I hope you'll consider giving us another chance in the future. I'm certain the updates we're making will come as a pleasant surprise.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff at this hotel was incredibly friendly and accommodating, which is what you want when traveling away from home ... a place that tries to meet your personal needs, and make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Traveling alone with my son, who is disabled, and his service dog, often presents itself with many problems and awkward situations, from lack of accessibility, to legal issues regarding allowing access to a service dog. Many people are still unaware of many (American Disabilities Act) ADA laws and regulations, so I also run into that as well.
Anyways, at the lodge, there was none of that ... instead, the staff went out of their way to assist me, from helping me with my luggage, and changing our room, so that it was even more accessible for us. When people go out of their way to be especially kind, no matter what the circumstances, I remember it ... so thank you for your kindness and compassion ... I will definitely stay at the Los Gatos Lodge again ....
yes, the decor is a bit out dated, but the grounds are peaceful and well maintained ...
One suggestion - this place SCREAMS for a jacuzzi ... and towels by the pool ...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
It was a pleasure having you and your son stay with us, Kelli. I'm happy to know you appreciated our staff's warm and attentive service. It's always our goal to make you feel as comfortable as possible when you're here! We will certainly take your suggestion into consideration. As for the towels, that must have been an overlook on our part. Next time, feel free to ask the concierge for some extra pool towels. They would be more than happy to accommodate your requests. Thank you again for taking the time to write a positive review that reflects how much we value customer satisfaction. I am so happy that you and your son had a great time and enjoyed the peaceful grounds. I hope to see you again the next time you're in the area!

Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Water leak at home forced the family out of the house + poodle. I don't normally get to stay in a hotel near to home so I took the advice of my Landlady and made a reservation. The room we were allocated (as dog friendly) was an end room - it was dark, dingy, had insects in it and a TV from last century. It was unacceptable for the price. The other guests seemed to be mainly construction workers and a few tourists travelling through. There was a seedy atmosphere around - when I went out to get dinner from the local Thai restaurant as the menu in the restaurant looked like fried with some more fried food - i noticed a Police car cruising the large parking area. Maybe we were put into the nastiest room at the lodge - beware. Check out other hotels in Los Gatos - one downtown right by the Post Office - same price and NO comparison.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I'm sad to hear this, Claudine. I wish you had voiced your concerns with the room we gave you, we would have happily moved you to another upon learning of your dissatisfaction. I also want to assure you we do everything in our power to maintain a safe, and welcoming environment. In order to ensure there's never anything amiss, we have the neighborhood police patrol our parking lot from time to time. I'm sorry if this made you feel at all uncomfortable, that's certainly never our intention. With that said, feedback is always appreciated, as it lets me know what we could improve upon.

Cecilio Reyes - General Manager

Been to Los Gatos Lodge? Share your experiences!