“Loved this place.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved this place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I lived in San Jose 37 yrs and have always wondered how fun it would be to stay for a few days. I did, after moving to SOCAL and loved it. The close proximity to town, the weather was co-operative, as always. After checking out, I was in Santa Cruz and realized I left my cell phone & charger. It was retrieved by an employee and I was notified immediately and picked it up when I came back. Great service and a friendly staff is a great combination. Thanks, Kelly

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Got a room on the 2nd floor, building 6. Bad smell in the hallway, even stronger in the room. Is it Lysol? cat pee? or maybe both? Hard to say. TV remote has dead battery, bathroom has dirty ceiling, shower control was installed backwards so left is cold and right is hot. Overall it would be an okay budget place, a bit run down but not a dump... except for that awful smell.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Los Gatos hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The price and free wifi that worked was refreshing after a couple of nights in San Francisco.he grounds were beautiful and we enjoyed the breakfast. Rooms could use updating. Sheets did not fit the beds well. Sink and shower were tiny. We were visiting friends and family in Los Gatos and enjoyed the proximity to downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
los gatos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

we had two rooms - one of the buildings is definitely newer and nicer than the other and the second floor is also preferred (higher ceiling, better flooring). Bathrooms are small and plumbing are past prime but clean and serve the purpose. Front office and bar staff might need a bit of customer service training. Breakfast was average but good and better if you like cereal! Happy hour is a nice addition. Good location - We loved being able to walk downtown and back for dinner. Good value and for that reason, we've given it a 4. We would come again. Linens are very nice, except the older pillows and cases in one of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for building number 1
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Regretfully stayed at the Lodge to save $50/night -- should have forked them out and stayed at the Hotel Los Gatos.

My wife, 9 year old daughter and myself shared one of the suites; the room was dark, decorated in the seventies (literally), but I could have lived with that if it weren't for the bathroom, so small that in fact the shower door interfered with the entrance door; the tiny sink sat right next to the toiled, and the flusher used a pressurized pump which woke up half of the town every time it was used.

The free WiFi kept going down -- I would be happy to pay for something more reliable. On the second day the phone system was down and to get my 3rd towel (they kept on leaving us only 2 towel sets for some reason) I had to call using my cell phone.

The staff could use some additional training, but everyone's effort to be as friendly as possible was quite visible; unfortunately that could not make up for the shortcomings in the property itself, and we will certainly not be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Los Gatos Lodge 3 or 4 times, but not in a few years. What a difference a few years makes!

The only good thing was that the checkin process was quick. The room was very small, 200 sq. feet at the very most. There was a smell outside in the hallway. The temp inside was burning hot when we got in the door. Cheap paper cups for water. A bed that was a soft as jello. Internet wireless that didn't work even after the front desk was informed. Water in the shower that had a feather slim range of workable temperature--otherwise scalding or freezing. An old tube style TV. A wooden roll around office chair where an easy reading chair usually is. And on and on.

The overall impression was of a place that just didn't care anymore and was letting things go to hell.

As my wife said, "We had a great trip with wonderful moments until the second we stepped in the hotel door."

I won't stay here again. Even though this is close to my family's house, I'd rather drive an extra 5 or 6 miles than stay here again. A total and complete letdown.

As I said, I think I have only once before wrote a review that was negative in any way. And, that was mild. This is not a sour grapes review because they didn't upgrade me or some such. This was overall, thing after thing of low quality. I have stayed in Motel 6's that were better. Seriously.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I booked a room here for my daughters and mother for one night until our moving truck arrived with the beds.

The first room we were given was towards the back, the room had a horrible musty/moldy smell and one of the beds had a lean to it. The head of the bed was much lower than the foot. In general the room was shabby and rundown. Went back to the front desk to request another room, the man at the desk seemed surprised but gave us a new room. The new room was much cleaner and looked like it had been refurbished in recent history. Breakfast was provided, but everyone came back hungry. It was cheap for the one night but I wouldn't recommend staying there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Los Gatos Lodge? Share your experiences!