“Good but.........” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Los Gatos
Benicia, CA
“Good but.........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I loved the Hotel Los Gatos and Spa. The property is pretty new. The Front Desk manager stated it was only ten years old. The rooms are quite nice and I will post some of the pics from my camera phone. There is a restaurant on property that was quite popular. The name is Dio Deka. Prices were quite high with one steak priced at $71. But it appears to be quite popular and those prices may be right in line in the affluent community of Los Gatos.

For those that care, the Astin Martin dealer is less than a block away.

The rooms were nicely furnished as well as laided out. NOT your typical hotel room, to be sure. But, the carpets were just plain soiled. Many spots in various locations. Management needs to hire a good professional steam cleaner and let them at these rooms. I would guess none have been shampooed in the ten years the hotel as been there.

My room was a corner room and had two (count 'em, two) balconies. One facing the main street and one facing the parking lot. One had a nice table and chair although the balcony was very narrow.

The room also featured a working gas fireplace which was nice. Great for couples.

They also have free WiFi throughout the complex with no complicated logons and passwords. NICE! Just log on and enjoy.

The printer in the business center (just an area off the front desk) was terminally slow but the Front Desk attendant was well aware. He claims they are getting ready to remodel that area and will update the printer when they do. In the meantime, it took a good five minutes to get ONE page out of the printer. Pretty frustrating.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the corner rooms. They have TWO balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

On a recent trip to California I found myself stranded in Los Gatos for an afternoon with a couple of suitcases after week at Pebble Beach. A friend told me to head over to “Hotel Los Gatos” and have a drink.. I have to say I cannot remember receiving such a welcoming and helpful attitude anywhere on my travels. I arrived at the hotel around 2pm and explained to the reception staff that I wasn’t staying at the hotel but needed help to store my cases and find somewhere for a late lunch and a few drinks before my friends picked me up at 6pm. Abel and Joe could not be more accommodating and helpful – These guys really set a very high standard for customer service – I have 100% promised to stay at the hotel on my next trip to CA and I will ! Well done to “Joe and Abel” for OUTSTANDING customer service.

Novato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very nicely appointed rooms and excellent guest service. Great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and very comfortable beds. There is an on site restaurant and bar at the hotel which can get a bit noisy, so try to get a room towards the back of the property if you plan on getting to bed early and don't want to be kept awake by the lively crowd. Will definately be staying here again!

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor room towards the back of the property
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelLG, General Manager at Hotel Los Gatos, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear John:

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share your feedback on your recent stay @Hotel Los Gatos & Spa. We know our readers value the feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Sherman Oaks, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Hotel Los Gatos and Spa is more than just a boutique destination. It’s an unadulterated sensory treat as far as luxury goes. It’s location, at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains, makes it the #1 sophisticated, upscale, peaceful respite from the world.

As you wander around the property you’ll find beautiful pillow laden nooks of every shape and size, all under the façade of stunning California Mediterranean architecture. There you can sit quietly and read, or join friends for a drink and some fantastic food from their fabulous #1 ranked Dio Deka restaurant, which I might add also has an amazing choice of premium wines.

The pool area with its beautiful fountain, luxurious seating and inviting warm water allows you to unplug, unwind and relax beneath the warm California sunshine. If you're looking for a little extra R&R you must check out their spa. They offer just about every treatment there is!

The rooms with their soothing colors and comfy furniture wrap you in their gentle fold making you feel completely at home. The fireplace makes each deluxe quarters a sensual, chill out, feel at home destination. Even the bedding will wrap you up in a softness that only a boutique hotel of this caliber can offer you.

If you’re into wandering about, hiking, shopping or dining, you’re only moments away from one of the most eclectic, beautiful small towns I’ve ever seen, where there is truly something for everyone.

For those of you visiting this area, this is a must see, must stay, must enjoy piece of heaven.

Paul & Jacqui Brown

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fair Oaks, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here this weekend (5/18&19, 2012) and was extremely disappointed with this hotel. I was with a wedding party that probably had 1/2 of the hotel and had booked those rooms last August. I was the first person to book here after receiving the announcement. When I arrived earlier than most, as my drive was shorter than others by at least 6 hours, I asked for quiet. I was put in Room #206, which is above the bar and on the driveway that bisects the hotel and across from the pool. While the pool noise was manageable, the noise from the bar until well after midnight was beyond anything that should be allowed in even a 2 star hotel, let alone this place. I could have gotten two better night's sleep at the Motel 6, and when I called the desk on night #2, it did not change anything, and that night, Saturday, it went until almost 1:30 AM. The room itself is pleasantly appointed and nice, but the breakfast should also be avoided as it is just cold eggs and hard potatoes, served in the bar.

I live in Sacramento and work in tech so I am in and out of the Bay endlessly for business and pleasure and have stayed in a lot of hotels, so I know them all from Marin to Santa Cruz and along the East Bay. So, unless you must stay in Los Gatos, I would get something in San Jose or even over Highway 17, and avoid this place at all costs unless you you want a noisy, sleepless night.

When I checked out I was prepared to tell them about my experience but the desk person didn't even bother to ask me how my stay was. How professional is that? Maybe if you are over here midweek on business, or completely off season, or you can be guaranteed a room far from the lobby, bar and restaurant I would consider other options at all cost, and certainly for the money this place charges you can do better since quiet is the main commodity of a decent hotel, including this place where it is in very short supply!

I understand it has changed hands a few times, well maybe the new owners should consider whether they want to wring every last dollar from the space or offer a real 4-5 star experience. If so, remove the outside bar for starters and consider this review a warning about the pitfalls of lax interest in your guest's well being!

Room Tip: Since there is road between buildings, a pool in the middles, a bar, restaurant and lobby to create...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
hotelLG, General Manager at Hotel Los Gatos, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear BearsLair72:
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Los Gatos & Spa. On behalf of the entire staff we certainly appreciate your feedback. I would like to request that you contact me directly to discuss your stay. We would be delighted to have you return in order to have a positive experience. Enjoy your day.
Moline, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Small boutique hotel with variety of rooms, but even the small room I stayed in was clean and comfortable with more than a touch of luxury. Hotel is about 15 minutes in no traffic from San Jose airport, about a $50 taxi ride, although the hotel has parking. Workout access is at a nice facility one block away (with outdoor pool, racquet ball courts and all the other amenities). Walking/running trails nearby. Walk to downtown Los Gatos is about 800 yards.
The hotel has a very nice Greek restaurant that someone told me has one Michelin star. Breakfast was only $10 and consisted of a small buffet, but when you can eat outside in the morning, everything seems wonderful. This was a business trip and the hotel was one of the better hotels I have stayed in on business this last year.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool was quiet enough for a good night. Hard to imagine any room would be noisy in...
Dear Tan31_11:
Thank you so much for taking time our of your busy day to share your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Los Gatos & Spa. On behalf of the entire staff we certainly appreciate our guest feedback to continue to improve our services & product. We hope to see you again in the very near future.
Enjoy our Summer!

denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

One of my favorite hotels in one of my favorite towns anywhere in the US. I always stay here when I am visiting the Bay Area even though many of my clients are an hour away in the East Bay and SF. The rooms are comfortable, beautifully decorated in California charm and the staff is always friendly and they go out of their way to make your visit special. I always look forward to my business trip to Los Gatos as the hotel feels like a home away from home!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Los Gatos? Share your experiences!