“Can´t even call this as ramen...yuk!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Orochon Ramen

Orochon Ramen
123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St, Ste 303, Los Angeles, CA 90012-3846 (Central L.A)
213-617-1766
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Noodle Shop
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Los Angeles, California
“Can´t even call this as ramen...yuk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

AS an oriental, I´ve tried as many ramen shop as possible and Orochon has fallen into one of the worst one I´ve ever eaten!
Miso paste??? Salt??? Shoyu??? soup base? Come one! Who in the world that makes soup base using these 3 ingredients?!
What? The Special #2? The guy from Man Vs. Food has no taste in food! Just watch his program might be fun but would anyone eat what he eats? It's just for entertainment sake! But food sake, this ramen is ZERO!!!
TOO MUCH SALT! TOO MUCH SHOYU! TOO MUCH MISO PASTE!
I ordered extra cha-shu meat that doesn't even taste anything close to real cha-shu! It tasted like a piece of well cooked pork!
The soup doesn't even taste hot enough for a ramen soup!

I think Orochon's only merit that it can cook up a spcicy mixture just to camouflage it's bland taste.

The restaurant caters to mostly westerners that doesn't know the real ramen that cooks up in Asia or in Japan itself...therefore, it might live up to the expectations of the west but if the shop is set up in Japan, I think it has already closed its door so fast that you can even say oro....

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

burbank, ca
“Orochon Comes to Burbank”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

For a ramen joint, this place is huge..and appealing. The room has a warm, cheerful look,
with large paper lanterns adding a splash of color. The space had been vacant a couple of
years, having once been a Tony Roma's. What Burbank lacked was a decent ramen restaurant. The wait was worth it. The ramen offerings come in large bowls and are very tasty. Like the Little Tokyo store, there's a heat meter...I tried number 4. Hot enough, since I didn't want it to overwhelm the flavor of the miso broth. Slightly thin on the pork, so next time I'll add the extra topping. The servers were extra friendly, adding to an overall satisfying dining experience. This newest addition is a big plus for Burbank's dining scene.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL,USA
“Big, big, bowl of noodles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I saw this resaurant on Man vs. Food on the Travel Chanel and have always want to come here for a bowl of ramen. It is located on the 3rd floor in Little Tokyo not too far from City Hall. You may miss it because its exterior is kind of nondescript with green awnings. The owner made an appearance shortly after we arrived. It was almost as exciting to see him as the timeI saw Rick Bayless come out of the kitchen when we dined at Frontera Grill in Chicago.

The bowls of ramen are huge. My older brother and I both order the nonspicy ramen in miso broth with extra char sui. My younger brother decides to take Orochon ramen challenge. Eat an entire bowl of Special #2 ramen with your choice of miso, shoyu, or salt broth in 30 minutes and you win a place on the wall of Bravery.

Well, my brother finished his bowl in 15 minutes. My complaint is that our server didn't tell him when he could start eating. He just said that he he is going to check the time. So my brother lost 5 minutes while I tried ro flag down our server to ask him if my brother could start eating. Maybe it was a language problem. I guess no Adam Richman and no cameras means no special treatment. I didn't doubt my brother could finish it even though the hot sunny weather of L.A. didn't help. So I flagged down a server who came with polarid camera and sharpie so my brother could be the next one on the Wall of Bravery.

I finished my bowl of nonspicy ramen with extra char sui, but I get no glory because I am not brave enough to take the challenge. The ramen was fresh and chewy. The broth was delicious. My only complaint was that the char sui was really fatty. It was different from chinese char sui which can be lean, fatty, or both and usually characterized by its sweet red exterior.
I may or may not come back to Orochon. To me, it was just average.

Visited January 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
“From my first mouthful, I dreamed about my next visit...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I first came here based on the recommendation of a fellow Asian-food foodie. After tucking into my noodle soup, I had some serious choices to make about my subsequent visits -- from the various broth choices and vegetable add-ons to who of my favourite friends in the whole world I would bring here! While I haven't been able to get past the mega spicy 1 (not the plus 1), I'm still a devoted fan. I even brought my kids here (a 4 and 7 yr old who have no patience for 'weird' food). Silence descended on our table as they completely murdered their bowls of noodles -- a hard task with strange eating sticks that kept falling on the ground. It's an intimate environment with creative seating and you don't come here if you're in a hurry, but I love this place!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sask
“Went there based on the reviews.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The ramen came in a huge bowl filled with broth. There were a few thin pieces of pork, some bamboo shoots, sliced green onions, and I had order the char sui as an extra. I've never seen char sui look like that! It was a colorless manufactured roll of pork, but it was tender. I didn't find great value here, and won't likely return.

Visited October 2011