“Dazzling” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bazaar by Jose Andres

The Bazaar by Jose Andres
465 S. La Cienega Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)
+1 310-246-5555
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bazaar by Jose Andres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 8,091 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: San Vicente Blvd.
Description: Deemed "Four Stars" from the Los Angeles Time, finalist for the James Beard Awards' "Best New Restaurant," named Esquire Magazine's "Restaurant of the Year" and Zagat's "Top Newcomer," The Bazaar by Jose Andres is a vibrant mix of sophisticated cuisine and playful lounge spaces where dining transcends into fete extraordinaire. Experience a collection of magical dining experiences, entwined in a modern-day, European-inspired "indoor piazza" -- savor pioneering culinary creations, delicacies from roving carts and delicious libations by James Beard Award-Winning Chef Jose Andres. **From October to November join Jose Andres in celebration of the opulence of white truffle season with the third annual White Truffle Dinner Series at SAAM . The multi-course dinner unearths the flavors of the truffle through the playful imagination and inventive gastronomic vision.
Plano, Texas
“Dazzling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First I have to say kudos for the Phillipe Stark designed restaurant. This has to be the best of his work I've seen so far. Dark, beguiling and full of twists and turns that keep our eyes moving. This my second visit here did not disappoint. The textures and the sheer imagination in each dish is just dazzling. Zagat rates the food 27 out of 30 and I have to agree if not a little closer to 29.

Japanese taco
Jicama wrapped guacamole
Sea urchin
eggplant tempura
“Philly cheesesteak”
Sweet potato chips

• 5 of 5 stars Food

los angeles, ca
“if there is a restaurant who's tag line is "sans tambour ni trompette" it should be bazaar.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Notwithstanding a confirmed 8:45PM reservation in a city where no-one eats dinner late, our party was made to wait over an hour for a table. Management's excuse was that the chef is in town, and somehow that is my issue because? Many a times have I eaten at Jean-George and Nougatine when Jean-George is in the kitchen (quelle surprise!), I’ve been able to score tables without a wait or reservation. One of my friends (a NYker who loves this place and visits every time he is in town) went and complained 3 times. Usually I would have left after 15 minutes, but since everyone has been raving about this establishment for so long, I endured the hunger pangs; sustaining myself for 1:15 on ice tea as I didn't want to have cocktails on an empty stomach.

I've had better tapas in Spain and molecular gastronomy at Alinea in Chicago. I was not particularly impressed with the food, and certainly was not able to understand all the fanfare attributed to bazaar. It just re-enforces my believe that LA is not a high end food town. As much as I love Hatfield’s, Lucques and Providence, food in LA is good, just not mind blowing. Perhaps I visited expecting too much, but from people raving and with such pedigree, having worked under Ferran, I am entitled to come with certain expectations.

That said, management did make up for the wait, as soon as we were finally given a table, one in front of the open kitchen so we could see José socialize instead of cook, an avalanche of comp’ed food arrived. The waitress was very apologetic for the wait and very cordial and a breath of fresh air in a very affected environment, am 42 I enjoy food no the scene.

Now for the food, it was well prepared, definitely better than his Vegas shop Jaleo, but again except for the “Philly cheesesteak” (not so much the taste, but more for the surprise of the hollow bread), nothing else was mildly amusing. How many times can you have molecular olives and be impressed by it? Especially in 2013. Am I being a bit jaded? Perhaps.

I appreciate management’s initiative to make up for the tardiness in delivering a table for us, but probably that could have been done by the 2 complaint at 45 minutes passed the reservation time, a couple of appetizers at the bar to hold us over would have done the job better. Perhaps is time to call NY and find out how JGV manages to be in the kitchen and not slow down service.

Will I go back? Conceivably in 5 more years when the trendsetters and the followers are all gone and the restaurant focuses more on food and service rather than creating a scene.

Low score on service is not a reflection on the waitress, but for he hostess who promised to send the manager over to the bar where we were awaiting for a table and never happened and also for taking reservations and not delivering a table more than an hour late.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leiden
“Excellent food, extravagant atmosphere, expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I took my dear friends out for dinner and we had a great time. The restaurant where we had dinner was nice, rather noisy (a bit too noisy to have an easy conversation I'd say). The service was fine. We had to chose 3 dishes each and shared. We had some very good dishes
Dry cured ham
artichokes, chicken escabeche (very jummy although salty)
Braised Wagyu beef cheeks (super delicious and tender)
Cherry tomatoes, liquid mozzarella
Cauliflower purée, harissa, lemon, crispy quinoa
Jicama wraps super jummy

I did not so much like
Catalan style pork sausage, local beans, mushrooms
Pickled cucumbers, steamed buns (they looked cute but didn't taste special

The desserts were perfect, and served in a rather weird but funny place
Lemon Meringue with Berries Tart
Blueberry Dark Chocolate Lavender Tart
Hot Chocolate Mousse (too good to be true)

Double Chocolate Pecan (not realy special)
Raspberry Cardamom (nice)

My friends had some sparkling wine and bear.
We had tea and cappucino

It was a nice evening out where we had just enough but delicious food
I had to pay $218 (+ tip) + $14 for parking.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“bazaar by jose andres”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Quirky atmosphere as expected with place named bazaar. From nitrogen infused drinks on through the thirteen dishes, food was fantastic. Highlights: jicama wrapped guac, wagyu beef cheesesteak, caesar salad, beef cheeks, sous vide chicken. Everything so tender no knife placed on table, no change of plate though either.

Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“Creative and delicious variety of plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

As we walked in to check in for our reservation (TIP: make your reservation as far in advance as possible), we had to pass by a trendy group of 20-30 somethings, girls dressed like they're ready for their summer shoot for Glamour Magazine (heels with bathing suits?!) and their slicked-back-hair boyfriends zipping into the valet in their BMWs (it's inside the SLS Hotel). We make our way into the lobby and to the hostess station, and are finally acknowledged by our hostess from Madrid, who emitted a very "I am too cool" attitude. We gave our names and reservation time, and apparently she saw a friend/customer and about-faced and left us standing there. Fortunately the other hostess noticed and immediately took care of us and led us to our table. The waiters were all in their 20's, and could appear in a GQ magazine--I thought that we would get the same treatment as "Miss Madrid", so I started with my Mojito (which was quite good). We were very pleasantly surprised when we got Cameron as our waiter, who was very attentive and patiently explained how the dishes were prepared. We love to experiment, so there were lots of interesting options but it was hard to make a decision, so we went on Cameron's recommendations. They were excellent! I don't remember the names of the dishes, but we had thinly-sliced rolled jicama filled with mint, pickled ginger,cucumber and a coconut dressing on the side..very good! Also if you like egg, you must try the "tortilla de papa new way" which is a larger shot glass with caramelized onion on the bottom, the thickened/emulsified yolk mixed with seasonings over the onion, and then topped with a FOAM of potato--sounds strange, but we thought it was absolutely exquisite! We could have had several of those but wanted to try other dishes..There was something called a deconstructed paella or something like that, with shrimp and noodles (kind of like fideos) instead of rice. I wasn't crazy about that one, because I was looking forward to the taste of saffron, but the way the spices were mixed into the shrimp and pasta must have been cooked into a reduction, so that the flavor of salty tomato overpowered everything else..We also had sweet potato fries, and what we thought was extraordinary was the sauce that came with them, which was greek yogurt with a tamarind reduction sauce, sprinkled with star anise and drizzled with just enough olive oil--WOW..I forgot what else we had, but these are the dishes that stood out. We wanted to save room for dessert, so we were escorted told we'd be escorted to the dessert bar--sorry, the "patisserie" which looked like a night club, by who? Miss Madrid. Alright, I thought I'd try again, maybe it's just me..Tried to chat with her, but nope--it wasn't just me. She escorted us with her "catwalk" (no I didn't "follow" her..) to the "patisserie". I thought this was a great place for a night out for dessert and a drink (guys take note). There were interesting dessert choices there as well. We had the floating island (maybe a different name..) which was coconut ice cream with I think guava sauce and a thin piece of dark chocolate, which was OK--I think something needs to be mixed into the coconut ice cream because it seemed kind of bland. We took home chocolate pop rocks for the kids (tasted like chocolate hard candy, but the popping was cool), the mango-passion marshmallow was pretty good as was the red currant-rose marshmallow, we had the salted caramel with edible paper, a financier (teeny tiny, half a bite's worth), and I think the pain au raisin..All of these desserts were okay, the marshmallow was interesting because I've never seen any in those flavors. It is pricey, but it's fun to take it in like a show, and an interesting outing with your significant other!

• Visited May 2013