“To me, everything taste strange” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
1000 Universal City Plaza, Suite 114, Los Angeles, CA 91608 (Universal City Area)
818-753-4867
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #228 of 8,555 restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Hong Kong
“To me, everything taste strange”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I just believe that some food simply cannot go well with each other - seafood soup with lots of pepper and chilli (Gumpa Combo?), fish n shrimp rice with sour lemon sauce (Accidental Fish n Shrimp), fried shrimps with coconut flakes batter - these are all the strangely mixed n matched dishes we got. Worse still, the signature garlic bread was soggy, the medium rare steak was charcoaled n way over cooked when first delivered then well done when we asked to change to another one. The spare ribs is the only normal, edible dish. The mango as well as strawberry mango smoothie were both very sour. All the above for $140.

Service is reasonably good though. The waiters were very apologetic when we have to send the steak back.

My friends also used the word "bizarre" when I asked how they find the food.

Is it us or Forrest Gump who got a unique taste?

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“One of the best on City Walk!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great restaurant, always fun, always clean and we always leave happy and glad we went there. If you love shrimp or have been to other Bubba Gump's you won't be disappointed.

The best experience we ever had here was on Halloween when we came to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights, all of the staff were dressed in costumes and many were dressed up after the movie as well. There was one waiter that was dressed as Forrest Gump running and he never, ever stopped moving he was always at least jogging in place perfectly in-tune with his character, it made the experience fun and light, something we tell friends about all the time when we take them to Universal.

Visited February 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

After a full day at Universal Studios, we were tired. We were walking through Universal Citywalk to get back to our car when we spotted Bubba Gump. We wanted food but we were not "starving." We didn't want fast food, but we also didn't want a huge expensive dinner. After looking at the menu, it looked like Bubba Gump would fit the bill.

As I mentioned, we were tired. The restaurant was less than half full. As a former waiter, I'll admit that I gave my best service when I was busy. ...That's when my brain would be clicking along and I would be on top of my game. Sadly, I would tend to forget things or be less efficient when we were NOT busy. I think this was one of those cases.

Our waiter was personable -- once he arrived. Throughout our dinner, he was rarely seen. My water cup had a leak and a large puddle appeared on the table. Thankfully, we had a roll of paper towels on the table. Finally, I had to get up and look for an employee to give my leaking cup to. It was then a LONG time before I had something to drink again. It took forever to pay the bill. All four of us in our family took turns using the bathroom and we still ended up waiting for the waiter to bring the charge card and receipt back.

Our appetizer of "hush puppies" arrived nicely presented. But there were only a few! Granted these hush puppies had little bits of shrimp inside, but still, I expected more for the price.

As a southerner, I LOVE fried fish and hush puppies. The truth is, the food was fine and actually some of it was very good. The fried shrimp that came with the kid's menu passed the "true southern cooking" test and was excellent.

While overall the food was good, it was not good enough to compensate for the poor service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Loved my waiter!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ehlo (I think that was his name) was an absolute doll, so was Cameron who appeared to be training him. The food was great and I would have loved to have spent a little bit more. But even on a budget, they had items to offer and the place was rockin and fun! they also ask you Forrest Gump trivia. So glad we went!

Visited June 2013
Glendale, Arizona, United States
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Delicious food, moderately priced. Staff is amazing, very attentive and we enjoyed our round of Gump trivia! Liked it so much we ate at Bubba Gumps in Anaheim 2 days later!!

Visited June 2013