“4 Reasons to Indulge Yourself at Stan's” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stan's Corner Donut Shoppe

Stan's Corner Donut Shoppe
10948 Weyburn Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024-2809 (Westside)
(310) 208-8660
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #549 of 8,578 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Dessert, Donuts
Neighborhood: Westside
Neighborhood: Westside
“4 Reasons to Indulge Yourself at Stan's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

It took me a while to warm to Stan's, as I grew up loyal to another local donut shop icon, Randy's. But the more I tried Stan's, particularly their unique donut varieties, the more I began to like it. Now I almost exclusively go there when craving a donut, despite the 7-mile freeway drive into the heart of traffic-laden Westwood, due to the following:

1. Their raspberry jelly donuts are WONDERFUL! I'm not sure how they make the jelly, but they're unlike any other jelly donut I've had. The jelly is light, tastes fresh, and is almost liquid-like (compared to other jellies that can be heavy, glob-like, and taste like artificial flavoring). They also come in various sizes. If you just want a bite or two, their little mini 'Hannukah' jellies are amazing (though I think those are seasonal) and come in various styles - coated with granulated sugar, powdered sugar, glazed, and chocolate. There is also a regular sized jelly donut that is equally delicious, and as far as I know, the larger size just comes in glazed, but it's possible I just haven't gotten there early enough to get the other kinds. I crave these now like I can't believe, warranting many a late night trip into Westwood.

2. Their blueberry fritter is great. I've never had anything like it anywhere else. It's much like an apple fritter that other places have, but with blueberries. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside - amazing. You will not regret trying one.

3. The Huell - a peanut butter & chocolate favorite of the late great Huell Houser, who loved this donut and sang its praises on shows like California's Gold (on PBS), resulting in its now carrying his name. Lovers of peanut butter and chocolate rejoice! My husband is addicted to this one.

4. Freshness - I often get these donuts later in the afternoon/evening, and I'm honestly not sure if they constantly bake new batches, but it tastes like it. I've gotten a jelly donut at 8pm and it tasted just as good as I imagine it would at 6am.

If you try Stan's, be sure to sample one of these, or any of the other 'special' variety donuts. You can get a devil's food donut anywhere, but these are unique, and the most delicious of what's on offer there.

Enjoy!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Tempe, Arizona
“Incredible doughnuts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Peanut butter filled confection! Holy moley this place has incredible stuff. The service left something to be desired and is the only reason I didn't grant a full 5 on the rating. We later joked that the woman behind the counter must have just been told she could never eat any of the doughnuts. That is about the only thing that would have made her in such a 'mood'. Also, there weren't any signs or titles for the options and no pricing posted. That would have been nice to know what we were getting. Aside from those minor things, it was worth the stop to enjoy these little beauties.

Visited January 2013
Manhattan
“Fresh and pure. Consistently good for the last 50 years.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This little place is where to go for a good quality donut made by hand. The other franchise place may have a machine and make a warm donut but one that lacks character and soul. And that other place may have an enormous donut on the roof and great for photos but the donuts are nothing special.
Go to Stan's. Meet the grateful owner. Know you are tasting a bit of history and it will be good.

I hope this review has been helpful to you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, IL
“Yummo doughnuts, and Stan is a sweetie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We went to Stan's for donuts on a Saturday morning. We were visiting from Chicago. He offers about 30 different kinds, all fresh and delicious. He was there, we introduced ourselves, told him where we were from and how we heard about him (from a friend who used to live in Westwood) and he took a picture with my sister and chatted about having come to CA in 1951 from Philadelphia. He also gave us 2 jelly doughnut holes as samples! His orange doughnuts are superb - light, bright, flavorful, sweet, with plenty of authentic orange taste. It is more of a doughnut stand than a shop - the only seating is 2 bistro tables outside, but the doughnuts are well worth it. Friendly guy, great doughnuts - the kind of little independent shop everyone should want to patronize and keep in business. Two thumbs up.

Visited August 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Best Donuts In L.A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

If you want a gourmet donut this is the place. I love the peanut butter pockets and peanut butter banana donuts but all of their various selections are incredible. I have been coming here for forty years and I have never tasted a better donut. This little shop is a landmark and in the heart of Westwood across the street from the Bruin and Village theaters. There is metered parking and public parking lots nearby.

• Visited December 2011