“Average for Price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #23 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Louisville, KY
“Average for Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

We selected the Orlando for its boutique style as advertised and found it to be just average. It certainly does not compare with Kimpton hotels or others I would consider in the same class.

The included breakfast was excellent and a nice way to start the day. Although be sure to ask for both the omelette & pancakes (very good!) with your breakfast if you're so inclined- we got the impression that we had to choose one, but in fact both are included.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the lobby and TV Room nearby are relaxing touches if you've been out on the town for a while. The rooms have a modern feel and are nicely decorated, however you can sense that underneath the exterior is an outdated, dusty older hotel room. The bathrooms are the most outdated with cheap lavatories and bad tub / shower fixtures. Throughout there is also a lot of dust accumulated around vents and in corners. A spider greeted us as we entered our room, although we had no further bug issues. We had a pool view that was nice, but much of the surrounding buildings look run down and dirty.

The location is the highlight of the hotel. You can walk to the Beverly Center shopping mall, the 3rd & Fairfax farmer's market, or the shops and restaurants on Robertson in about 15 minutes. If you are using Taxi's the hotel will give you a voucher book worth $10, but we found the cab drivers reluctant to accept the vouchers. We also found nearly all taxi's to be in poor condition, bad drivers with no manners, and generally undesirable to travel in.

Overall, the hotel delivers an okay experience for a very high price. I would probably recommend staying at a larger chain hotel if I were to return- somewhere where I know what I will get for the money. Until this hotel upgrades further, I just wouldn't pay the price for the experience. Like much of L.A. this one is dressed up nicely but lacking substance.

Stayed February 2007

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2007

We stayed here for four days in December having searched at length for somewhere with a bit of character and style. The Orlando has a sort of laid-back, lazy style - could be irritating if you want something more up-tempo. We loved the ambience - staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, but kept out the way unless needed. Recommendations for places to eat were excellent and the room was large, comfortable and very well equipped - the iPod was a stylish touch. Breakfast was basic but fresh and tasty. Definitely recommended as somewhere a bit different with loads of charm.

• Liked — Big beds, large rooms
  • Disliked — Noisy air con in the first room we tried - fixed by moving
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

by: a woman traveller from Manhattan

This is my new favorite place in LA.

It's a newly-refurbished boutique hotel with about 100 rooms and a very pleasant European-feeling lobby, decorated with candles and blown glass objects, and it's in the best possible location for a traveler without a car - it's as easy to walk to dozens or hundreds of restaurants and shops as it would be in downtown Manhattan. Furthermore, the shops themselves are exceptional, as 3rd Street is a prime area for fresh boutiques and top-notch LA vintage shopping.

My room was pleasant and large, with a king-size bed and a seting area with a sofa. Temperature control was excellent, service was pleasant, a view of the Hollywood Hills was agreeable, and a leaky faucet handle was repaired the instant I reported it.

The restaurant food is excellent. The cost of my room included breakfast, which was generous - a nice buffet and eggs or pancakes if you felt like ordering them; one day there were elegant French apple tarts, every day there was homemade (I think) banana and zucchini bread. (If I'd wanted to, I could have booked a room for $20 less without the breakfast and found a dozen places to eat for less outside the hotel, but I liked the convenience this time.)

From the money angle, it's worth noting that on nearby La Cienega it's easy to find nice simple chain places like Chipotle for a really fast, really cheap meal.

A small pool is set nicely with comfortable lounge chairs for sunbathing. A small exercise room adjacent to the pool has the essentials and I did not ever have to wait to use it.

• Liked — Aesthetics and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book without breakfast if you can wait and walk a block
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel because I do business with Cedars Sinai (which is within walking distance). If you like a more european experince as opposed to a typical US business experience (like staying at the Marriott), this hotel may be for you. Quite chic in it's decor, the restaurant is good (if a little expensive), and the rooms are nice (not great). I do always have a little trouble getting online at this hotel. Great shopping and restaurants are also within walking distance. Stay on the 5th floor if you want a little more service.

• Liked — Location and decor
  • Disliked — internet access problems
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on 5th floor if possible
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

This is a very pricey area, but we still expected more for the $344 for two nights we paid. The positives were the location near many museums and sights, the fitness room and small mineral pool, the linens and down duvets, the serene and modern decor, and the friendly front desk and valet. The breakfast that was included was served in the adjoining restaurant,"La Terza" and it was a nice buffet of fruits, yogurt, granola and ham and cheese.

The negatives were that the hot water in the shower was just lukewarm, the room was not immaculate (There was dust clogged in the vents and some cobwebs in upper corners.) The walls are very thin, so we could easily hear voices and TV from the next room and slamming doors.. Although the front desk was friendly, several of them were not very knowledgable of directions and nearby sights.

Stayed June 2006
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I arrived at the hotel at 2:45 pm to check in and had to wait about 10 minutes for my room. OK, 10 minutes, no big deal. The lobby was nice enough, the "lounge" was relaxing and the front desk staff was friendly. I got my room key, dropped my bags and left to go shopping. I came back around 7 pm that night only to find that I had no hot water, among other probelems. For a "luxury boutique" hotel, I was truly disappointed.

The rooms had been redone, but they forgot the bathrooms. The fixtures are outdated (think 1970s), there were burn marks on the orange countertop, and there was a significant black and rust stain in the tub. Not to mention, there was hardly any water pressure. The rickety cheap metal closet doors don't open and close properly if the safe door is open. The walls were so thin, I could hear the phone ring and the subsequent conversation in the room next door. I could also hear the people above me walking around all night. I called the front desk who immediately sent people up to try to fix the problems. Housekeeping told me there was nothing they could do about the stain. The safety lock was also loose. The maintenance man told me I would have to wait at least a night or two before he could fix, and as the housekeeper left, the entire thing came off in my hands. She just looked at me and shrugged.

The "pool" is a joke. I've seen tubs bigger than that. The restaurant is OK. The free breakfast is basically fruit and yogurt. If you want eggs, bacon or toast, you have to order it. All in all, I will NEVER go back or recommend this place to anyone. If you want something in the area, try The Parc Suites. It's MUCH better.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

We stayed at The Orlando the last weekend of March 2006 and found the hotel to be in a great location. It was our first trip to LA, so we went into the trip without any expecations. Upon arrival, we were met by the valet staff, which were by far the most help in our visit to LA. There is one arrogant staff member who appeared to be in charge of the other check-in staff as he was training someone upon our arrival. He was the only member of the staff that was rude.

The room was absolutely beautiful and provided plenty of room for our stay. The bed was very comfortable especially with the down comforter and feather pillows. The bathroom was a little small, but we weren't there to spend time in the bathroom.

I would DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again. We booked our room a couple of months before they increased the rate. They honored the rate we were given at booking, so an A+ for customer service.

The breakfast was a joke. Eggs and ONE slice of bacon. Want a great breakfast on your trip, visit the Farmer's Market for a wide variety of options.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!