“Great location, great service, okay pub, mid-level hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #12 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Fort Langley, Canada
“Great location, great service, okay pub, mid-level hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

It would be the best hotel in a small town. It is not five star so, if you are looking for amenities and luxury furnishings in a hotel that has no flaws, this is not it. But, if you want a funky hotel with a historic feel that is above average in comfort and service, this might be the right place.

Personally, I loved it. Unpretentious and clean, it is in one of the most interesting neighborhoods in LA. The staff were casually informal and very helpful. Every night, I walked in and they would call out hello and ask me how my day went. It was really nice. I didn't care that the furniture was a little shabby and the shower head sprayed me in the eye when I turned it on, but you might.

The Orlando is in a great up and coming, rejuvenated area. A family feeling place, close to so much stuff. Cool shops. You can easily walk up to Sunset or even Hollywood Blvd if you are energetic and healthy. Melrose is close. If you are a foodie, you only have to walk a block to find several excellent, small, creative kitchens. Joan's is a block away. All of LA is, of course, a taco lovers paradise and this area is home to many. Try Frida's for a quickie bite. The gigantic Beverly Center with Macy's etc, is just a couple blocks away, as is Restaurant Row on La Cienega. Dozens of restaurants within a short walking distance.

The hotel has a pub/restaurant (The Churchill) that is hit and miss; a great concept but not always well executed. It has some nice tables outside and an interesting industrial feel to the decor. The wait staff are hipsterish like the neighborhood: young, smart and friendly. The food can be great but it is inconsistent. I had a crispy fresh pizza one night and a soggy over-salted one the next night. The menu is funky fresh with lots of beers.

Probably the worst and most amateurish thing I had served to me (which I did not eat) was a breakfast burrito. You know how, if you dump wet veggies in with eggs and try to cook them up, the eggs can separate and, when the colors mix, you end up with a separated, mucky, grey mush? That was it. Covered with an over-garlic-ed ranchero sauce that tasted like it came from a bottle. There were "home fries" but they were those deep fried cubes I am not much a fan of. If they had been warm, I coulda poured some salt on them and not been too disappointed but they were cold and soft. The coffee was excellent. But right across the street, you can get great pastries and excellent espresso from Magnolia Bakery and there are many, many breakfasts in either direction along Third. Or, walk up to the giant pancakes at Griddle on Sunset just outside the DGA building. The hotel is close to so many choices. I will stay there again as I go to that area for business.

Room Tip: First two floors can be noisy. The pub is very popular and loud.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

If you're looking for fun in LA, it doesn't get better than The Orlando. Located above The Churchill, a hip and modern bar/restaurant, walking distance from the expansive Beverly center shopping mall, and tons of other unique restaurants full of character and high quality cuisine.

The room was perfect, with modern European-style amenities that made us feel like we were far from home. We had a couch, queen bed, fresh Starbucks coffee in the room, a large closet, great bathroom, and our door led directly to both the beautiful 2nd floor pool and the well stocked gym. Actually a very surprisingly equipped gym/spa which I generally don't see in boutique hotels. The stay was an overall joy, and the staff was incredibly friendly.

The Orlando Hotel is the perfect spot if you're looking for an authentic, unique, and convenient experience that's right outside your hotel room.

Room Tip: Second Floor for Pool / Gym / Spa Access
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Canaveral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Excellent hotel that was soooo convenient for walking to all kinds of great restaurants, shops and activities, as well as super easy for driving to locations via the highway or surface streets. This hotel almost makes me want to plan a trip to LA just to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was my second stay at the Orlando. The location is great. On our first night we went to dine at The Churchill, attached to the hotel. We were seated, and that is where the service ended. I took about half an hour for our drink order to be taken. During this time, the tables either side of us were getting full attention, receiving food and drink. We felt totally ignored, as if we did not fit into their 20 something demographic. I was visiting from Australia from my daughters 19th birthday, so it was a special time for us but we were made to feel less then special. When our order was finally taken, one dish was forgotten. When asked "would we like dessert" I replied "not just now, but maybe later". We were promptly given our bill. I would have like to have stayed for another drink, being our first night in LA. Very disappointing to be made to feel invisible. The hotel room itself was ok. I reported the fridge not working and also the phone, but neither of these were fixed. On the Saturday night the noise coming from the room above was terrible. It sounded like they were moving furniture and stomping all over the room. I put in ear plugs, but still no sleep. I could not phone reception as the phone was still not working. I was informed the next morning it was a wedding party. The saving grace of this hotel is the staff. The concierge and reception staff were very friendly and helpful, even though the faults reported were never attended to. Special thanks to Michael who helped us with our shuttle reservation. Would I stay again? The jury is out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Hotel Orlando is right in the heart of everything. It's reasonably priced and newly renovated - gorgeous modern decor.
You don't need a car, walk to The Grove & Farmer's Market in 12 minutes, less than that for amazing shopping at The Beverly Centre.
It's also in the middle of the best restaurants in West Hollywood. Must go-to restaurants right next door are Son Of A Gun on one side and Izakaya on the other.
Beverly & Melrose streets are 1 and 2 blocks away respectively.
Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The staff is at best indifferent to your needs. The quality of service is average. The room we stayed in was crampy. The toilet was in bad shape. The sliding doors to the bathroom didn't close all the way. The thermostat was loose hanging from the wall. Free wifi? Sure! But you might as well be connected to 14K modem from 1998! Morning continental breakfast service ? Nope! Though I have to give credit where credit's due: The beds are really comfy. That's the only upside for me from a one night stay experience... nothing else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were staying in this hotel 8th to 12th of May, the location of hotel is very good, its very close to Beverly Center (5 min walk) and also Target store. The point which is really remarkable about this hotel is friendly manner of its staff, they are really caring about you and all your question and needs, they really help me for renting the car, buying mobile sim card, finding good restaurant in city and even they guide me about what should I visit first and what should I do last in my Universal Studio tour to save time and avoid long lines inside Universal Studio, I especially thanks Erik Cook, this gentleman is really friendly and professional, he really support us during our staying.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!