“Dorm Room Feel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #12 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tampa
“Dorm Room Feel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions as to things to do. Also, I really liked the location. Not too busy and plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. For the downside, the room and bath were spacious but the decor and furnishings were in poor condition. The bed was the most uncomfortable, the sheets where thin and itchy, two flat and hard pillows and the covers were thin and just didn't do the job. The bath was renovated but had no charm and there was a ton of wasted space. The carpet needs to be replaced as soon as possible. The only place to store our belongings was in a narrow ikea like self standing closet. I just felt like I was in a college dorm. Unfortunately I would not return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sirley C, Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and location. I’m sure they will appreciate the positive feedback. My apologies on the negative experience with the room. After some research, I believe you were staying in one of our handicap accessible rooms. Those rooms do have a more spacious bathroom in the case of a person with a wheelchair or other ADA related needs. Besides the armoire that was in your room, there are additional drawers on the sides of the bed, which you can use to store items. Our carpets have been replaced during the previous renovation and we have procedures in place to regularly shampoo our carpets to ensure their cleanliness. We believe that guest feedback is one of the best ways we learn how we can better improve our product and services. We would have appreciated being communicated these challenges during your stay so that we could have had an opportunity to address them and ensure you enjoy your room accommodations. We would love to discuss your feedback and suggestions in more detail if you would like to contact us at your convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We are in LA because our mother was admitted to Cedars Sinai. We use Hotel Tonight to book at a discounted price. The rooms are beautiful with lots of amenities. It is within walking distance to the hospital and local shopping. When we went downstairs to explain our situation and that we would need to stay another night or two, they let us remain at the discounted price. This was very much appreciated as we were already stressing about our mom and didn't need the stress of added hotel expenses. Thank you to the staff of the Orlando Hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Duluth, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Orlando has a great staff that is beyond helpful the hotel is very dated. It is in a great location near the malls and the farmers market down by the Grove. There are many quaint restaurants just a few steps away. We loved TOAST for our breakfast.
There is a restaurant on the first floor that makes the upstairs smell like cooked food. The pool is incredibly small for such a large hotel. If you are on the front side of the hotel it can get very noisy fortunately we brought a small sound maker. I think the parking fee is ridiculous at $30 per day.
I think the price was high for the caliber of hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are better because the front side can get very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

This is confirmed (twice) to be one of the worst hotels we had stayed so far. Nothing seems to work properly in this hotel. We booked a room with 2 queen beds for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children). After check in, we realized that the room had a faulty air conditioning and we were offered a room with King size bed and a queen sofa bed as there were no other rooms available. Without any choice, we moved. The new room is not much better. The bathroom sliding door couldn't be closed. They had to send in 2 technicians to remove the entire door in order for it to be fixed. The sofa bed was so thin that you could feel spring coils. Coupled with poor acoustics (can hear so clearly the traffics though we were on highest floor), we had no good sleep for 3 nights. We checked out after 3 nights, scheduled to return again in more than a week later. The entire family was strongly against returning to this hotel. I convinced them to give the hotel another chance, especially it has such high rating on tripadvisor. I was so wrong. On our 2nd check in, we manage to get the 2 queen bedrooms. After ensuring that the air conditioning and the bathroom door worked properly, we unpacked and made ourselves comfortable. To our horror, we received no wifi and a bank confirmation that my credit card was charged twice by the Orlando hotel. We called the front desk who then confirmed that there is faulty wifi in the room. We were offered again to move into another room. We had to pack again and move into a new room. Imagine having to change rooms, each time, we checked into this hotel which we had never encounter before. On my credit card, I was informed that their system might have a bug which resulted in my credit card being charged twice. Offer has been made to call the bank to reverse one of the 2 charges.

It is just too stressful to stay in this hotel. I believe we deserve a better hotel than this.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sirley C, Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us on two occasions. As you stated, we pride ourselves on the level of service we provide to our guests and are grateful for the reviews we receive from our guests. We are also appreciative when we receive criticism as we find out what we need to improve on. I do apologize that you experienced multiple challenges during your two stays. If challenges do come up, we always try to do our best to get those issues solved and/or offer a quick move to another room if an issue cannot be resolved right away. Given the nature of the business and the constant stream of guests coming in and out of rooms, we may have challenges with equipment from time to time which we try to maintain on a timely fashion. My apologies once again that some of those challenges occurred during both of your stays. Our Front Office Manager, Sam and myself would love to discuss any of the issues listed and your feedback further if you would like to contact us directly.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My company's travel agency booked the hotel for my business trip to LA. I walked into the lobby and found the hostess to be super accommodating. Hotel is located in a good location -- a walk away from the Beverly Center and various restaurants, including Joan's, which has amazing brunch food. Neighborhood is not loud so you can have your peace after a long day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I hated this hotel so much, I can't even express it all in words. Although the staff there was really great, everything else was awful. The wifi was the slowest I've ever used (and I started using the internet back in the dial-up days of 1994), the elevators were the slowest I've ever waited for, the room was stale and had ants, smelled like cigarette smoke, we were charged for the minibar, which we didn't use and they still won't take it off our bill. Stay away from this living stereotype of Beverly Hills phony douchiness.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sirley C, Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Matt P,

We would like to thank you for staying with us recently and we do hope that you enjoyed Los Angeles. Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We take great pride in the level of service that we provide our guests and that is what we feel brings them back to us time and time again. We are sad to hear that your stay was not up to par with what we usually like our guests to experience and wish this would have been communicated to us during your stay so that we could have taken steps to resolve those issues. We have a terrific internet service provider and they can promptly diagnose and fix any internet related issues remotely. I am guessing that since your stay occurred in January, you may have been here during the BCS championship game, during which the hotel was at capacity. During higher volume days, we may experience more activity in our guests coming in and out of the hotel and therefore guests may experience a slightly longer delay in accessing an elevator. Our Front Office Manager and I would love to discuss your stay and assist with the charge you are referring to more closely if you would be willing to contact us at your convenience.

Respectfully yours,
Sirley Cuevas
Director of Operations
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

POSITIVE: My recent stay at the Orlando was great. You cannot beat the location and the ability to come and go from room to the street is with the greatest of ease! The staff is friendly and helpful....the restaurant is fantastic.......atmosphere is just perfect. Not too small, not too big.

NEGATIVE: Prior to arrival, I received a text message that said The Orlando was looking forward to my arrival the NEXT DAY. I was actually on the plane on the way to LAX. When I called the front desk was too busy to resolve my arrival problem. When we arrived, the rooms I had reserved in advance were not available, so we were told we were receiving an upgrade for one night....but we would have to move the next day. Horrible to not be able to settle in...and it was a great inconvenience which interrupted family activities. The insult was that they manager tried to blame ME........for their mistake. When I. produced a confirmation made direct with the Reservation Manager, there was no apology....just the same "blame the customer" attitude. Not what one expects from a Summit Hotel.......and "Leading Small Hotels". Management needs to take a new course in Customer Service.

Conclusion: Of course I would stay here again but I do expect to be treated with a lot more courtesy...it was their mistake, I didn't ask for a discount or anything else for the great inconvenience......but if the manager doesn't want to stand at the front desk to discuss his error, he should be trained to move the conversation to a more professional setting.......my problem was not everyone's else's problem. I am sure by now some of you will think I was creating a scene, however, I guarantee that was not true. Being told that I made the mistake, when the manager was aware of the HOTELs error is unacceptable.

Room Tip: The front rooms on the street can be noisy, but it is just a reminder there is a great life alive ou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!