“A pleasant and comfortable stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #19 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bangkok Thailand
“A pleasant and comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The location is great in West Hollywood. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and department stores around. Staff is very friendly and will advise you well if you have questions. Rooms are spacious and very clean. Internet is free which is one of my criteria when I choose a hotel. If you travel by taxi from the airport, tell the driver to choose La Cienega Blvd, it is shorter - and thus cheaper - than using the 405.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Honoraryconsul,

I’m really pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent visit to West Hollywood and The Orlando Hotel!

Thank you for your comments about our staff and our location. I feel that these are our two greatest assets! And I’m very happy to see that you enjoyed our spacious new guest room; we have some of the largest guest rooms in Los Angeles with a minimum of 350 Sq. Ft!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We’ll look forward to your future Los Angeles visits!

Paul Gardner, Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Palm Desert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I used to stay there all the time, maybe 25 times a year. Although, I hadn't been there in several years, one of the desk staff saw my name on the reservation, and remembered we didn't like the heavy quilts, and made sure we had blankets on the beds and bathrobes. The entire staff makes you feel welcome. When I left to get my car, the parking attendant gave me a big welcome, and said he'll bring up my Mercedes. I haven't had that car in 3 years, but he remembered. The beds are great,and they have great amenities and also they just
redid the bathrooms, now with a great shower. I always had a special rate, and even without
asking, they gave it to me again. I suggest it to all my friends, and would never stay anywhere else in L.A.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Stuart R,

It’s such a pleasure to read your review and share it with our team! I heard from some of our senior team members how much they enjoyed your return this week. And Nassi, our Front Office Manager, so enjoyed connecting with you again after a few years away.

As you noted, we've made some changes since your last visit! And I’m happy to see you enjoyed our bathroom upgrades. And I’m so pleased that you found the hotel to be so welcoming.

We will look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles. And thank you for taking the time to write this kind review.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a horrible drive from Santa Ana in a colossal rental car, in a weird yellowish sunset, on a multi-lane freeway, in rush hour - into downtown Los Angeles, and then to 3rd Street. But arriving - eventually - at the Orlando made it all worthwhile. The desk staff were so very friendly (we were exhausted and a little out of sorts from that drive) and the room was clean and welcoming. We spent three days here - great housekeeping, quietness, a feeling of safety and warmth. We would be glad to return. We also had no idea how well located it was - Son of a Gun restaurant down the street, Gusto restaurant down a block the other way. Beverly Center Mall a couple of blocks away as well. An excellent travel bookstore across the street. Also a pleasant pub on the premises. We were absolutely delighted with our stay here. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TheSchindells,

It’s so wonderful to see that you had a great stay at The Orlando Hotel—despite a challenging journey!

I’m delighted that you took advantage of our great neighborhood location! I think we have one of the best walk-able locations in Los Angeles. And I agree, Travelers Bookcase is a gem on West 3rd Street. So many of our guests enjoy it!

Thank you for your comments about our team. I’m so pleased to pass your comments along to our housekeeping staff as they work so hard to ensure that our guests have an effortless stay.
We will look forward to your future visits!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked this hotel on Booking.com. I was pleased with the price and location. My friend and I were going a girls touristy weekend to Hollywood, and Beverly Hills. This hotel was one mile to our morning taping of The Price is Right at CBS studios!! (and only a short drive to Bevery Hills.)
The hotel even let us keep our car parked there while we walked to the taping after we checked out that morning.
The front desk and valet are super nice!! The room was clean, modern, and fresh! Comfy bed and pillows! The price is a little high, but to be expected for the area, and come on....it's nice to splurge in a cute boutique hotel instead of a cheap chain hotel when you are traveling to L.A!! Loved it!! Will most def come back when visiting the area!!
P.S...they do have a pool, spa, and restaraunt, but we didn't utilize these services!

Room Tip: DEluxe Suite on 4th floor!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Mitchypants,

It’s terrific to hear you had a great weekend getaway at The Orlando! We do offer some terrific weekend promotions and we've just launched out Home for the Holiday’s promotion for late November and December! So we’ll try to make it easy for you to come visit L.A. more often!

kailua, hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

After staying at this hotel almost every year for the last decade plus, i've seen it through a lot of changes but the basics remain; a friendly, helpful staff, decent restaurant and now room service, great location, convenient to everything from Rodeo Dr. to the Farmer's Market and LACMA. The hotel is newly renovated and my room had a great little patio, perfect for people watching on a sunny day. The fitness room has been nicely redone and and the pool and sundeck will soon follow. The Orlando is located on a street with unusual small shops and interesting restaurants of every price and variety. It's also a great walking neighborhood and just down the street from the Beverly Center for more great shopping.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms have patios on the street side but are surprisingly not noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Fullmoonrising,

We so very much appreciate that you have been a loyal guest for over a decade! And it’s always a pleasure to welcome you back!

I’m so happy that you enjoyed our new guest rooms and I very much enjoyed speaking with you at check out last week.

I look forward to showing you all our improvements, and particularly the pool area on your next visit!

arlington, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here as it is on my favorite shopping street in Los Angeles. For me, fabulous location.

Website promises a European boutique experience. I understand the hotel has been gradually upgrading itself. There are definitely some things that still need work, but bottom line I'd probably stay again.

First, the staff was fantastic. I had several phone calls before asking for advice renting a car in the are - they were very patient and helpful. Once at the hotel every person I dealt with at the front desk and valet desk was excellent. They clearly try and that is greatly appreciated and noted.

The first impression is not great - when you get off the elevator, the corridor is somewhat dark and institutional looking. A spiff up would help greatly. The door key mechanism is old-style, reinforcing the impression that you are in a place that needs an update.

Our room was pretty good size and comfortable. It appeared to me like there were some recent updates (the bathroom looked really nice) with some legacy items left (the light switches throughout the room looked like something from the 70s). Comfortable bathrobes and nice soaps/shampoos etc.

Bed was decently comfortable and while the pillows were far too firm, housekeeping brought up much better (softer) pillows in a matter of minutes. Nice small couch and plenty of shelf and closet space. Good coffeemaker. Our room (#205) had a small balcony right over West 3rd Street - great for people watching (and they can't see you!). There is a bit of street noise (didn't bother me at all), so light sleepers might prefer a room on the Orlando Street side.

Wi-fi in the room was frustratingly weak/spotty - we were here for the weekend so it wasn't too much of an issue but I'd be annoyed if I was trying to get some serious work done.

On the 2nd floor, the hallway area near the elevator several times picked up the food odors from the restaurant. I wouldn't want to be staying in the few rooms right near the elevator. The smell did not make it through the fire doors and we didn't notice it in our room.

The fitness center is small (three piece of equipment) but they are brand new, with great TVs to boot. Room looked like it had recently been recarpeted. Very nice, though if there were a lot of people using the gym you'd be out of luck (I was the only one in there the two times I used it so this may not be an issue).

Overall the hotel worked for us and my impressions got better as time went on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Hmcust,

I’m really pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel’s location. I think we have one of the best locations in Los Angeles and I’m always so happy when I hear our guests have enjoyed it too. And thank you for your comments about the staff. We are very fortunate to have a team that is absolutely passionate about hospitality and values each guest’s experience.

I very much appreciate your comments and honest impressions of the hotel. We utilize our guest’s comments on electronic comment cards, reviews, and in-person suggestions, to make the experience better and better.

In 2011, we did a major renovation of all of our guest rooms. And while some of the furnishings were kept, a great number of new custom furniture pieces were created to replace and improve the existing decor. Additionally, we did do a complete upgrade to every guest room, including a full bathroom remodel (as you noted), new carpeting, new wall covers, new beds and linens, electrical, HD TV, and heating/cooling systems. As you noted, we also upgraded our fitness center and spa area and while it is small, it’s very rare that guests are waiting to use a piece of equipment.

I've been in discussions with our Operations Director and lead Engineer regarding your comments about the hallway, as we did re-carpet the hallways and add lighting at the beginning of this year. But we are taking a look at some ways to improve the area you noted, in addition to limiting smells that come from the pastry kitchen on the second floor. I would like to share with you that in addition to our pool upgrades, we’ve got some great lobby and elevator improvements planned for this winter.

I’m really sorry to hear that you had challenges with our free WiFi connection. We've done a significant amount to upgrade our WiFi this year and we now have a dedicated fiber-optic line. Additionally, we have and continue to do upgrades to our access points. If you were using an apple product, many hotels have experienced challenges with the new iOS6, but I’m pleased to let you know that we've upgraded our software today to eliminate these issues. In the future, I think you’ll find that we have a good support team that can help trouble shoot any issues in this area.

I do hope that you’ll return to The Orlando on your next visit to Los Angeles so you can see how we are always working to improve your experience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very comfortable hotel at a good price for LA. I had a standard king room. The room was modern, clean, and well furnished. Top rate helpful and friendly staff. Rooms on the Orlando Street side are quieter than rooms on the 3rd street side. I was on the fourth floor. A friend had a room on the fifth floor and said that there was noise from the AC unit on the roof. Only slight negative is that noise could travel from room to room. Wifi is not the best I have ever had, but it worked.

Room Tip: Either pool side or Orlando Street side are quietest. Fourth floor may be the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear David G,

Thank you for choosing The Orlando and for taking the time to review your recent visit.

I’m pleased that you found our staff helpful and friendly. We’re so lucky to have a team that has been with The Orlando for many years and continues to take an interest in all the new points of interest that our guests can enjoy.

We recognize that we have many guests who live in all kinds of urban and rural areas. So while many of our guests don’t find the rooms on West 3rd Street noisy at all, we know that those from more rural areas sometimes do. We have a great number of guest rooms that are very quiet and we are very conscious to honor our guest’s requests for this. On a side note, we discovered that we needed to replace a ball bearing on one of the cooling systems above the 5th floor, so I’m sorry your friend had this noise, but I’m pleased to tell you that this has been addressed.

I’m happy you took advantage of our free wifi internet. As everyone has so many devises to remain connected these days, it’s difficult to accept up to $20 per day for internet access on each devise, which so many Los Angeles Hotels charge. While this is free at The Orlando, we do try to maintain state-of-the-art equipment to provide the best signal strength and speed. We’ve just recently upgraded to a dedicated fiber-optic line and I’m pleased to tell you that our next technology equipment upgrade is planned for January.

Our team will look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles.

Paul Gardner, Guest Services Manager

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!