“Mixed Impressions, Generally Favorable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #12 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
arlington, va
“Mixed Impressions, Generally Favorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here as it is on my favorite shopping street in Los Angeles. For me, fabulous location.

Website promises a European boutique experience. I understand the hotel has been gradually upgrading itself. There are definitely some things that still need work, but bottom line I'd probably stay again.

First, the staff was fantastic. I had several phone calls before asking for advice renting a car in the are - they were very patient and helpful. Once at the hotel every person I dealt with at the front desk and valet desk was excellent. They clearly try and that is greatly appreciated and noted.

The first impression is not great - when you get off the elevator, the corridor is somewhat dark and institutional looking. A spiff up would help greatly. The door key mechanism is old-style, reinforcing the impression that you are in a place that needs an update.

Our room was pretty good size and comfortable. It appeared to me like there were some recent updates (the bathroom looked really nice) with some legacy items left (the light switches throughout the room looked like something from the 70s). Comfortable bathrobes and nice soaps/shampoos etc.

Bed was decently comfortable and while the pillows were far too firm, housekeeping brought up much better (softer) pillows in a matter of minutes. Nice small couch and plenty of shelf and closet space. Good coffeemaker. Our room (#205) had a small balcony right over West 3rd Street - great for people watching (and they can't see you!). There is a bit of street noise (didn't bother me at all), so light sleepers might prefer a room on the Orlando Street side.

Wi-fi in the room was frustratingly weak/spotty - we were here for the weekend so it wasn't too much of an issue but I'd be annoyed if I was trying to get some serious work done.

On the 2nd floor, the hallway area near the elevator several times picked up the food odors from the restaurant. I wouldn't want to be staying in the few rooms right near the elevator. The smell did not make it through the fire doors and we didn't notice it in our room.

The fitness center is small (three piece of equipment) but they are brand new, with great TVs to boot. Room looked like it had recently been recarpeted. Very nice, though if there were a lot of people using the gym you'd be out of luck (I was the only one in there the two times I used it so this may not be an issue).

Overall the hotel worked for us and my impressions got better as time went on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Hmcust,

I’m really pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel’s location. I think we have one of the best locations in Los Angeles and I’m always so happy when I hear our guests have enjoyed it too. And thank you for your comments about the staff. We are very fortunate to have a team that is absolutely passionate about hospitality and values each guest’s experience.

I very much appreciate your comments and honest impressions of the hotel. We utilize our guest’s comments on electronic comment cards, reviews, and in-person suggestions, to make the experience better and better.

In 2011, we did a major renovation of all of our guest rooms. And while some of the furnishings were kept, a great number of new custom furniture pieces were created to replace and improve the existing decor. Additionally, we did do a complete upgrade to every guest room, including a full bathroom remodel (as you noted), new carpeting, new wall covers, new beds and linens, electrical, HD TV, and heating/cooling systems. As you noted, we also upgraded our fitness center and spa area and while it is small, it’s very rare that guests are waiting to use a piece of equipment.

I've been in discussions with our Operations Director and lead Engineer regarding your comments about the hallway, as we did re-carpet the hallways and add lighting at the beginning of this year. But we are taking a look at some ways to improve the area you noted, in addition to limiting smells that come from the pastry kitchen on the second floor. I would like to share with you that in addition to our pool upgrades, we’ve got some great lobby and elevator improvements planned for this winter.

I’m really sorry to hear that you had challenges with our free WiFi connection. We've done a significant amount to upgrade our WiFi this year and we now have a dedicated fiber-optic line. Additionally, we have and continue to do upgrades to our access points. If you were using an apple product, many hotels have experienced challenges with the new iOS6, but I’m pleased to let you know that we've upgraded our software today to eliminate these issues. In the future, I think you’ll find that we have a good support team that can help trouble shoot any issues in this area.

I do hope that you’ll return to The Orlando on your next visit to Los Angeles so you can see how we are always working to improve your experience.

Paul Gardner, Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very comfortable hotel at a good price for LA. I had a standard king room. The room was modern, clean, and well furnished. Top rate helpful and friendly staff. Rooms on the Orlando Street side are quieter than rooms on the 3rd street side. I was on the fourth floor. A friend had a room on the fifth floor and said that there was noise from the AC unit on the roof. Only slight negative is that noise could travel from room to room. Wifi is not the best I have ever had, but it worked.

Room Tip: Either pool side or Orlando Street side are quietest. Fourth floor may be the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear David G,

Thank you for choosing The Orlando and for taking the time to review your recent visit.

I’m pleased that you found our staff helpful and friendly. We’re so lucky to have a team that has been with The Orlando for many years and continues to take an interest in all the new points of interest that our guests can enjoy.

We recognize that we have many guests who live in all kinds of urban and rural areas. So while many of our guests don’t find the rooms on West 3rd Street noisy at all, we know that those from more rural areas sometimes do. We have a great number of guest rooms that are very quiet and we are very conscious to honor our guest’s requests for this. On a side note, we discovered that we needed to replace a ball bearing on one of the cooling systems above the 5th floor, so I’m sorry your friend had this noise, but I’m pleased to tell you that this has been addressed.

I’m happy you took advantage of our free wifi internet. As everyone has so many devises to remain connected these days, it’s difficult to accept up to $20 per day for internet access on each devise, which so many Los Angeles Hotels charge. While this is free at The Orlando, we do try to maintain state-of-the-art equipment to provide the best signal strength and speed. We’ve just recently upgraded to a dedicated fiber-optic line and I’m pleased to tell you that our next technology equipment upgrade is planned for January.

Our team will look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The decision to stay here was partly based on not wanting to spend too much and wanting to be in this general location. The hotel surpassed all of our expectations. Staff could not have been nicer from valet parkers to front desk to chambermaids. The room was attractively furnished and large with a real sitting area with sofa and desk at one end of the room. A particular concern of mine is alway bedding and this was pristine white with a fluffy and luxurious duvet covered in white linens; no frumpy print bedspread! Bathroom was very attractive and appealing with enticing and plentiful toiletries. I was impressed and we had a terrific stay in spite of our difficult situation involved with the nearby Cedars-Sinai hospital. The hotel really helped to lower our stress levels. Thank you. We did use the restaurant (reviewed separately) and it was unusually good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ronacom13,

We are so appreciative of your kind comments and so very pleased that you had an enjoyable experience despite difficult personal circumstances. Due to the proximity of Cedars Medical Center, we do have the occasion to host quite a few family members of patients and I’m pleased that we accomplished our goal of making your stay easy and convenient so you could focus on what was most important.

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked this hotel based on location. It's close to mostly everything: Downtown, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Blvd, etc. Once I got there, I wanted to stay on 3rd street and not go anywhere else. It's part of an area which has got lots of small boutique stores and good places to eat. Plus, it's really close to 2 different shopping malls with the major Department Stores.

The service was great. The valet people were always friendly and we had no problem with our room. It's a cute little hotel with all you need. The rooms have just been remodeled so everything looks really nice.

We found compliments upon arrival (a cute cupcake from the bakery across the street). To our surprise, the morning after, there was the crew of Modern Family filming an episode in that exact bakery across the street. Paparazzis all over the place, cameras, Sofia Vergara, Ed O'Neill, and everyone right across our hotel.

This is definitely a place I'd go back to. We loved Joan's on Third for Breakfast (just a few steps away). I definitely recommend it.

Thank you Orlando!

Room Tip: We had a great view of 3rd Street, it might have been a little noisy, but I loved the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Juanita_Banana00,

It’s really terrific to see that you took advantage of The Orlando’s location! I think we have the best location in Los Angeles for the many reasons you pointed out. We are so close to many great sites and it’s one of the few places in Los Angeles that you don’t need a car! Plus, you’re certainly in the area of the Hollywood action, as you experienced at Magnolia Bakery!

Thank you for your great review. We have a truly dedicated team at The Orlando and it’s really very meaningful for us to hear that you had an enjoyable visit.

Paul Gardner
Guest Services Manager
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had the choice between the farmer's daugther or the orlando for my trip to LA and ended up at the Orlando by luck of the draw.

Check in to the hotel was very efficient and very friendly. I was a bit too early and my room wasn't ready yet, but this was not a problem for the guys at the front desk. They quickly whisked my luggage away to their storage room and got a map out of things to do in the area while I waited for my room to become available. This was a great approach as most hotels I've stayed in just tend to tell you your room isn't ready and leave you to your own without offering a solution.

I was given a great room on the 2nd floor. For a standard room it was certainly bigger than I was expecting, with great amenities. The bed was huge! So was the bathroom and shower facilities.

The hotel is situated in easy walking distance of shopping (beverley hill centre), several bars and 10-15 minute walk from the farmers market and CBS studios. It is very central for any other exploring you might want to do in LA

I can't repeat enough how great all the staff in the hotel were. They really seemed to care about their guests and wanted to make sure that their stay was as pleasant as possible. Jeff, Sam and Paul have a wealth of knowledge about the area and what you can do to have a great time.

Next time I am in LA I will be staying here again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Hulltog,

Thank you for your kind comments!
I must say that it was a great pleasure for all of us at The Orlando to host you as our guest.

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms too. The Orlando actually has some of the largest standard guest rooms in Los Angeles with a minimum of 350 Sq. Ft!
And as you noted, one of our greatest assets if our location. There is so much that can be done within walking distance! From the LACMA Museum and The Grove to Robinson, Melrose, and our own West 3rd Street, many of our guests enjoy our unique walkability.

We will all certainly look forward to your return to Los Angeles. And we so very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at The Orlando for 2 nights. When we first arrived, we were served by Jeff. He is an amazing guy! He asked questions that anticipated our needs (those that we knew of and those that we didn't!). He was patient and was really attentive. He made the stay wonderful.

In addition, the room was big and beautiful, modern and clean. It has everything, even a weighing machine. How cool is that!

Another cool thing is that Joan's on Third is just nearby and the food is amazing! We had our breakfast there twice.

We left for Vegas after The Orlando, and stayed at another famous boutique hotel in Hollywood. And we regretted going there, cos the service and ambience are just not as good as The Orlando, and they don't have a Jeff there.

We will definitely recommend The Orlando to all our friends who can't wait to hear about our trip.

Well Done! Send our warmest regards to Jeff. He is the best!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PauljGardner, Guest Services Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Maoster,

Thank you for your excellent recommendation of The Orlando to your friends and the viewers of Trip Advisor!

I’m so happy to hear that Jeff was helpful and was able to anticipate your questions and needs. We are so fortunate to have a staff that is truly dedicated to an outstanding guest experience. And Jeff wanted me to let you know that he really enjoyed speaking with you both throughout your stay.

As you may be aware, we completed a full room renovation in 2011, so I’m really pleased to see that you enjoyed our new guest rooms.

We will look forward to hosting your friends when they make their trips to Los Angeles. And we hope to see you again soon too!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Large and modern rooms.
Amazing shower (huge)!
Very, very friendly staff at the reception and valet parking. Thank you for your hospitality!
Small but with all necessary tools equipped fitness center. We went running in the area, which was great and absolutely safe.
Small boutique shops, cafés and restaurants but also malls within walking distance.

It was great for us - even though we usually prefer to stay in more personal B&B's. This hotel is a very good alternative!

Room Tip: look online for special rates, it is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Namumaschm,

Thank you for choosing The Orlando!

I’m so pleased that you found our property to be enjoyable and a great value. And I’m glad you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms with our Deluxe King’s over sized luxury shower.
It’s so nice to hear that you took advantage of our excellent location and enjoyed some of the amazing shops and restaurants that West 3rd street has to offer.

Thank you for your comments about the reception and valet. It’s our goal to provide you with a personal and friendly experience from the moment you arrive. And I’m thrilled that this was your experience.

Paul Gardner, Guest Services Manager

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!