“Excellent Hotel and Incredible Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Orlando Hotel

You added The Orlando Hotel to your Saves list
The Orlando Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8384 West 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Formerly Beverly Plaza Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #12 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Hotel and Incredible Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have had many experiences with The Orlando Hotel over the past few years and every single one has been outstanding. I first stayed at the Orlando when I was moved to LA for work. For the 3 weeks I was there I did not have one, not one!, bad experience. From the location, which was amazing (and safe), to the staff, to the accomodations I can not say enough about this hotel. It was such a good experience that every time I have friends or family come to town I book them at The Orlando (just last week had a good friend stay there and she loved it). I now travel extensively for work, about 2 weeks every month, and have stayed in numerous hotels worldwide; however, my experience at the Orlando is still one of the best I have had. Thank you to everyone who works there!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Robert W,

On behalf of myself and the entire team at the Orlando I’d like to thank you for your continued patronage and for recommending our hotel for your visitors. We truly appreciate our special repeat guests and the long term relationships we have developed with them over the years.

Thank you for the very nice review, it is a pleasure to know we rate so highly from a professional traveler such as yourself.

Tohnia Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We had a great time at this hotel! great service! front desk employees were very knowledgeable and went the extra mile to assist us! the cleaning lady was so nice! Very, very clean! The Churchill restaurant at the hotel was great and very lively nightlife! We walked to really good breakfast places, went across the street to get delicious cupcakes, walked two blocks down the street to the Beverly Hills mall. All in all, we were very please with our choice and will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Marina P,

Thank you very much for the kind review. I am pleased our staff made your stay enjoyable and you had an opportunity to explore our West 3rd Street neighborhood for dining and shopping.

The new restaurant at the hotel; The Churchill definitely has added to the nightlife scene since opening last November. They also offer a unique 7-day a week all day brunch which is a little more of a relaxed dining experience.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for choosing the Orlando.

Best regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Yes good rooms, and very helpful front desk staff. Not all but 1-2 of them were great especially Paul. However the kicker was in the end. They steal things. Yes, I forgot my $180 worth toothbrush and I contacted them right away. There wouldn't even been a new person in that room for a full day and the toothbrush was gone. I was told that they are protected uner CA Civil Code. Well then, awesome. Clearly they don't care about negative experiences because they need that $180. I already had one person cancel their plans to go there. Up to you... Competition is high, for that price there are great other hotels, I was there for location convenience. Then again I couldn't even open my windows due to the location, unless I wanted creepers to watch me. You don't want to walk alone outside at night either. Ugh, mistake!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear ugur a,

I would like to respond to your recent communication directly with the hotel and subsequent social media postings. You wrote to us directly:

“I've already started my social media networks on multiple platforms about what happened. Writing reviews, etc. Last time someone screwed me over it made it to radio shows without me submitting it because of the hype it got. I'm also notifying my company of 30k+ associates because I manage the entire communication network internally.

I hope it was worth the $180 you saved. So unless you change your approach on this incident by the end of week this incident will be reaching over 120k people in only a week. Of course it won't stop there. If you do change your approach however, I'm willing to remove it all and call it a misunderstanding and you guys were very nice about making it right.

Your call.

Thanks."

Dear ugur a,

I am in receipt of your cdirect ommunications with our Director of Operations and would like to recap and respond below.

After checking out of the hotel you contacted her two days later via email regarding a toothbrush you believe you left in the guest room upon your departure. She then spoke with you over the phone the following day and checked our lost & found area for the item. Unfortunately the item was not located.

While it is the sole responsibility of our guests to ensure they collect their personal belongings upon departure of the hotel, often times people leave things behind. The Orlando hotel has a very structured lost & found policy in place for such occurrences. 1. All items are turned into the housekeeping office and tagged with the room number and date found. 2. All items are stored for a minimum of 90 days in accordance with the California Innkeepers Law. I assure you this policy is strictly followed as our housekeepers regularly turn in items ranging from inexpensive items like miscellaneous clothing and cell phone chargers to high value items such as jewelry and iPads.

Upon not finding your toothbrush in lost & found our Director of Operations asked for a photo of what it looked like and spoke directly to the housekeeper that was assigned to clean the room the day you departed. The housekeeper did not recognize the item. That said, used toothbrushes are often left behind in hotel rooms and are considered rubbish and not lost & found material for hygienic purposes. It is possible that the housekeeper did not recognize the extreme value of your special toothbrush and threw it away.

The Orlando Hotel has been owned and operated by the same group that built the hotel almost 30 years ago. We have housekeeping staff that have been with us that long and almost all on the team have worked here 10 plus years. Our history as an operation of integrity and hospitality is stellar. To insinuate that anyone at the property is interested in a used toothbrush and would steal something from a guest room and risk their long term employment is not only ludicrous, it is offensive.

The registration card you signed at check- in clearly states in the first line; “The Orlando Hotel assumes no responsibility for loss of money, jewels or other valuables unless placed in our safety deposit box at the Cashiers Desk”. In addition, our responsibilities under California Law regarding items left in guest rooms is very clear that we are not responsible for these unfortunate situations. It is important that we follow our written policies such as this consistently with all guests.

It is disheartening that you feel this situation is intentional and the hotel is somehow profiting from a used toothbrush left behind and that it warrants backlash on social media sites. Unfortunately, we will not be sending you compensation for the incident as it is not our responsibility to do so.

I am pleased to note from your Trip Advisor review that Paul was very helpful during your stay with us. I understand he was able to obtain VIP status for you at many of the area nightclubs. Our team works very hard to provide that kind of service and to garner consistently great reviews and we will continue to do so.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Love the Orlando ,have stayed there every trip to LA except one so probably 8-9 times
Renovations are excellent and staff super great

Location -brilliant -The Orlando is my Home in BH .
The area has changed over the years with more great restaurants popping up every trip

Definitely a Boutique Hotel to be in

Room Tip: try to request an upgraded room -i like facing Third st and all the restaurants
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Tracey L,

Thank you so much for your repeated patronage of the Orlando. I truly appreciate your choosing to stay with us on your frequent visits to Los Angeles.

I have to agree with you that our West 3rd Street neighborhood is continuing to evolve in to a great destination rich with dining, entertainment and shopping opportunities. It seems each week we have anew boutique or restaurant opening.

I look forward to your next visit.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a great hotel. Staff is super nice, workout facilities and pool work. Cool bar and restaurant with a great looking crowd even in the middle of the week.

This is not an Ian Shrager Mondrian type of "chic" place, but it isn't priced like one either. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Shan P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Orlando.

I am pleased to know that you will return for a future visit with us. It is good to know you enjoyed the restaurant, gym and pool. The next time you return we will have completed a full upgrade to our workout facility. We have all brand new state-of-the-art Cybex equipment arriving in less than two weeks. Additionally, after summer we are planning extensive upgrades to the pool area as well. So it will be even better during your next visit.

Warmly,
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Spent one night, after returning from Zurich.
Arrived at 10PM.
Night clerk was very friendly.Even called to ask if I liked the room.
Valet parking.
Room was very modern, clean, quiet.Very nice BR.
Hotel very modern looking.
No breakfast, but there is a restaurant attached to the hotel that serves breakfast, etc.
Very close to Cedar Sinai Hospital, and the beverly center.
There are many places to eat in walking distance.

Room Tip: My room faced the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear drbrussels,

I am so pleased you chose the Orlando on your recent trip back from Zurich.

I will be sure to share this review with our night clerk and I know he will be pleased he made an impact on your stay.

West 3rd Street is definitely a great location for dining with many varied options to choose from. It is also a prime area for shopping if so inclined, not onely is the Beverly Center a block away but there are many unique one-of-a-kind boutiques lining 3rd Street down to Fairfax where the Grove is a shoppers Mecca.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of the hotel.

Best regards,
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The hotel is very clean, room service was amazing, rooms are large. There are lots of things to do in the area, they have a club inside of hotel, Beverly Center across the street, also Farmers Market is close by. I look forward to staying here in the future.

Room Tip: all rooms are good rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear williamnpaulina,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent trip to Los Angeles.

Thank you very much for the 5-star review!

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
Tohnia Miller

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!