“Nice but a bit overpriced!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle Inn

You added The Carlyle Inn to your Saves list
The Carlyle Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1119 South Robertson Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90035-1403 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlyle Inn) (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% on New Rooms
Ranked #36 of 340 Hotels in Los Angeles
Syracuse, New York
“Nice but a bit overpriced!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were going to stay here for a few nights but the location wasn't right for our plans and we stayed only one night. The room was a bit small but very nicely appointed and clean. The remodeled bathroom was very attractive. This may have been the most comfortable bed we slept in on a 9 day SoCaI visit. I think if the hotel gets crowded the parking gets a little funky in the weird tight basement garage. The full breakfast was underwhelming. About on a par or a step below a Holiday Inn Express. With taxes, parking, etc. it came to about $200.00 on a Thursday night. With nothing in particular to recommend the location, it seemed somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda F, General Manager at The Carlyle Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
John D,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so happy to see that our comfy beds provided you with such a restful night! I hope the remainder of your trip went well, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Two friends and myself were traveling from Boston to LA for a girls trip. We weren't sure of the best area to stay in. The Carlyle Inn ended up suiting us just fine. It was clean and convenient which was the name of our game. We all noticed after the 1st night how comfortable the beds were! Props for that! The included continental breakfast exceeded my expectations. Each day there was fresh (good) coffee. Cereal, scrambled eggs, make your own pancake station, yogurt, toast, and some fruit(not always the freshest) were available until 10AM each morning. My only (very knit-picky) complaints about the hotel would be that we repeatedly asked the concierge for a hairdryer and never recieved one. When the room window was left open for a while some type of small moth/bugs got in the room. I am a bonafide germ freak and overall I was very content with this hotel. The first night we arrived we asked the concierge to recommend a good, authentic Mexican restaurant. He sent us to a crap, Americanized Mexican place right off Rodeo drive. The food was blah and we never asked concierge for a recommendation again. We asked people we met in LA for suggested places to eat and explore.
This is definitely NOT a party hotel by any means. I'm sure we could have had a different experience in LA had we stayed somewhere flashier. Essentially we went out each night and didn't bring the pary home. There was always a place for us to park the rental car when we got home late (3am).
The Carlyle in Beverly Hills was close enough for us to get around with our rental car to all the areas we wanted to see. There is a Walgreen's pharmacy within short walking distance of the hotel. Venice Beach and Santa Monica were about a 20-25 minute ride from the hotel. Rodeo drive seemed a shorter ride but we didn't really hang out around there.
Overall, a positive experience for the money we paid. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visitng and has a car to get around with.

Room Tip: We were 3 young women staying in 1 room with 2 double beds. Everyone was comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Going to a megalopolis like Los Angeles can be daunting, but staying in an almost boutique lodging makes the trip very comfortable.The rooms are comfortable and largely quiet.The AC works !
It is located in a busy but quiet neighborhood , with lots of ethnic color, shops, restaurants, and easy access to other locations in the city.
Breakfast is included; parking is extra in a rather tricky garage at ground level, but hotel staff will help.

Room Tip: No swimming pool, but there is a hot tub and a small exercise room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Amanda F, General Manager at The Carlyle Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your comments, and we will see you again next time.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We wanted to stay in the Beverly Hills area within walking distance of the synagogue we love visiting (Beth Jacob on the corner of Olympic and Doheny) and my wife's elderly relatives.
The well-maintained property, has an entrance on Robertson which runs up to the the more glitzy parts of Beverly Hills and eventually Hollywood (each room has a car park either at the entrance level off-street or under the building in a secure area with lift access). The entrance is modest but functional and daily newspapers, sweets, cookies, coffee, apples and internet are available (as is free Wi-FI in the room). The art deco building, which rises over the patio ( with its furniture, umbrellas and potted flowers) houses the rooms but is not visible from street level. There is a small but effective exercise room and a spa for guest use. The breakfast area is clean and comfortable and a good continental style breakfast is available along with self-made waffles and freshly cooked omelets. The paper plates and plastic cutlery are a little down-market but functional. The staff are welcoming and helpful. The air conditioning was a little noisy but very effective and could be turned off for a comfortable sleep. Our room was spacious, had excellent storage space, a useful desk and lounge chair and the bed was very comfortable for us. The bathroom was also unusually spacious, with a full size bath, marble benches, 2 sinks and a make-up area. Towellling was good quality and so were toiletries. Tea making facilities and a usable bar-fridge were included. The decor is well maintained 1990's, already part of the nostalgia movement.
The local street has many stores including lots of personal grooming places. There are nearby drug stores, many kosher (and other) bakeries and restaurants including Tex-Mex and Kebob bars (Elias Glatt Kosher Kebobs opens into the somewhat shabby but interesting lane behind the hotel and offers very well priced wood fire barbecued meat, fowl, fish and vegetable dishes with Iranian spices, servied with delicious "green" herbed rice with flat beans. We purchased delicious whole roast, black rice stuffed Persian style chickens with vegetable and rice for the Sabbath, very reasonably). A short walk up Robertson takes one past the Kabbalah Centre of LA to a local ice-cream parlour which serves, among other things, sugar free versions of their offerings. A little further on, traditional Italian gelato can be found etc etc.
Just inside of the main street, one enters Beverly Hills suburbia with each street planted with a different tree species and immaculately maintained Spanish Mission style housing and fence free gardens. A pleasure to walk through in the early morning and safe at night. Not far (by car) are the sights of Beverly Hills and Hollywood, and a little further LACMA (with its new massive boulder installation in the grounds and the new and brilliant Ray's Cafe and Stark's Bar in the entry area) and the Getty at Brentwood, a must-see museum gifted to the people of California. Take the architecture tour.

Room Tip: Patio level rooms easily accessible, good if you want to use the stairs to leave or enter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Carlyle Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you, DavidLinton, for taking the time to write about your visit. Looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you and your wife are in town!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I spent three days at the Best Western Carlyle, and was impressed by the size of room overall. It was about studio apartment size. It had the largest bathroom compared to any hotel I have ever stayed, which was a real treat. I loved the double sinks and spacious counter. The hotel has interesting architecture accented by flowers. Patio area is pretty and relaxing. I slept in on the first day, but had their breakfast on the second, and it was marvelous. You can make your own waffles, they have omlettes set out, plenty of cereal, assortment of teas, coffee, and big pieces of bread you can toast yourself. The staff is very nice and welcoming. I would definately stay again.
The only downside was that the walls are a bit thin, my neighbors were a loud family. It was rather late at night and I kept hearing someone knock on the door, to be let in and out frequently. I also heard arguing. It was rather annoying, but they did quiet down around midnight. Overall the stay was excellent, and I appreciated the lovely bakery cookies, coffee and free use of the computer in the lobby. They also have deep red apples on the counter, which I thought were decorative, turns out those are snacks too! It was by far the best value for Beverly Hills.

• Stayed June 2012
Redding, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I read a lot of reviews and looked for the best bang for my buck while staying in Los Angeles. This hotel seemed to be just the place. If it had been a hit with me, I would have brought back a group when returning in the future. But that won't be happening and here's why. First, the trash cans left near the front doorway leading into the lobby was overflowing with trash with a swarm of flies. The lobby was very small, but forgiveable. But then upon riding in the elevator, it wobbled and make some noise. When the door opened to their outdoor patio, another overflowing trash can with another swarm of flies had to be passed through to get to the eating area. The breakfast was fine, cheese omelet, assorted breads, fruits, juices, coffee, etc. The dining room was small, the upholstered banguette was ripped or cut. The hotel room was nice enough and beds were comfortable. Bathroom vanity was very, very small and it was a balancing act with just one person, much less your mate. Last minute, our adult son joined my husband and I. The quarters were very tight. The hotel employees were helpful and nice enough. But more effort and care should be put into spiffing up the common areas. Another example are the striking black and white striped lounges on the deck. The fabric looks at minimum dusty. A bit more care and cleaning would make a difference.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Fortaleza, CE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I confess I got a little worried when I arrived and saw that little hotel, nothing fancy, no bellman to help with the luggage...
But once I got to my room, I completely changed my mind! Although it was a little bit small, the best room I stayed in my 20 day vacation trough California.
Very clean hotel, with everything you could possibly need. Very spacious bathroom.
Close to hollywood and not to far from the beaches.
woul go back for sure!

Room Tip: Try to take a room far from the avenue.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Amanda F, General Manager at The Carlyle Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you, Roberta K, for your kind words and feedback! I look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Los Angeles.

Been to The Carlyle Inn? Share your experiences!