“Ok hotel - great people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Angeleno

You added Hotel Angeleno to your Saves list
Hotel Angeleno
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   170 North Church Lane, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save $25 on select meals
Ranked #48 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland
“Ok hotel - great people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stay at the Hotel Angeleno for 3 nights for business. The lobby is very nice and everyone from the Valet to the front-desk EXTREMELY friendly and helpful! The staff really when out of their way to help me and they get a 5 out of 5. The Restaurant and view were nice. The location is on a very busy free-way junction. Making it difficult to walk anywhere (not that any one walks in LA, but I tried, and it was hard). There was "free wifi" but only at a very low rate, then you had to pay for better access. The pool area was very nice too for relaxing in the day. My only issue with this place was my room, had a very strange smell in it, at first kind of acidic, and then on the second day like cigarettes - I asked for air freshener as my room smelled like smoke, house keeping agreed that it did, didn't apologize (even though it's a non smoking hotel and I certainly didn't smoke in my room!) and then nearly gassed me with Frebreeze. I had a headache the rest of the night from the smell of the Frebreeze, which then produced the acidic smell I had on the first night. Shame really as everything else (again, especially the staff) were great!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AngelenoGstRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Hi Jessica,

First of all, thank you for the amazing compliments to our staff! Secondly, please accept my apology for what happened with your room and housekeeping. I know this information is a bit late but if our response isn't satisfactory the first time, please let the front desk know. We are here to ensure that your stay is excellent.

Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed here before an event at UCLA, and it was very convent to where we needed to be! The room was nice, a bit noisy from the freeway, but you have to expect that staying so close. The service we encountered was average, not super friendly, and not rude, just in between. The best service we had was the driver of the shuttle. He was great and was patient with us when we were running a bit late! If you have a car on site, the like for the valet was always long! It's best to call down your car before you leave your room!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gerald D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Hello rmg421,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. It helps us take an honest look at our operation and areas that we can improve. I'm curious to hear more about your encounters with our staff. Feel free to email me, rboken@hotelangeleno.com.

I will pass your kind words on to our shuttle driver, we hope to see you again soon!

san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Manny in the coffee shop is GREAT!!! Always has a smile, makes a great cup of coffee, does a AWESOME job!!!
He makes sure you get exactly what you want, and if he thinks you are not 100% happy, he makes changes so that you are!

Room Tip: Lots of construction on the 405
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AngelenoGstRelations, Front Office Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Hello Ben,
Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone how well Manny treats you. He's a star in our eyes and we're happy to have him on our team.

I'll see you during your next visit.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a great stay at Hotel Angeleno! We went to visit The Getty Museum and UCLA and Hotel Angeleno is close to both with free shuttles. Service was superb and the room was very clean. Pool and gym area were nice with an outdoor fireplace. We did not have time to dine at their restaurant, “West,” but we went up to take a look and it had a breathtaking view of LA! Will recommend this boutique hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Kimi,
Thank you for this great review. We are very happy to hear that you had such an amazing visit with us.

We hope to see you soon and maybe the next time you'll get to enjoy the great dining experience at West.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Let me start by saying...first impressions last a lifetime! Immediately when I pulled up to the premises I had the nicest valet take my vehicle and the sweetest bellman to assist me with my luggage. He even offered to bring me ice when he dropped off all my bags! What a gentleman. When I got to my room, I was starving and Skyler the bellman was soo nice in directing me to a wonderful sushi restaurant ( i loooove sushi) called Nobu. If you are ever in LA and want any quality sushi, go there!! It was beach front, a little pricey, but 100% worth it since it was by far the best sushi I had in my life. After such a wonderful meal, I called the front desk and asked for some recommendations to go out later that evening (since they did such a good job with the sushi recommendation :)) I didn't wanna drive (obviously) so valet PROMPTLY got me a cab. They directed me to a bar called hemingways in Hollywood and I swear I didn't awnt to leave! Back to the hotel though. Overall the staff were SUPER nice and swet all throughout my stay. The outside looked a little funny but when you get to your room and have that amazing view, you completely forget your odd impression. Once again, the MOST helpful bellboy and sweetest staff I have ever encountered in regards to a hotel stay!! I really hope I have another business trip in LA soon, because even though I like to try out new things.....I am definitely staying at Hotel Angelino again!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AngelenoGstRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Hi TaliaTheContracter,

Thanks for the excellent review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our recommendations during your stay in Los Angeles.

We will see you next time!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Luxury travel. Just the sound of it will start a fast drain of your bank account. As a job perk, my international drone video production takes me to some super interesting luxury travel destinations that I love to share with you. I also happen to love luxury travel on a personal level which doesn’t always qualify to land on the expense ledger. I am always on the lookout for luxury travel experiences that don’t break the bank in cool cities. I love to take note and share my finds so other luxury seekers can take advantage of them.

I love LA. Los Angeles is one of those cities where the hotelier’s will completely KILL your wallet. Partly because of the market they cater to, you can really get slaughtered on a trip to LA. Forty bucks a night to valet park is not uncommon especially at a luxury location. I think some of the hotels charge you per breath you take in the lobby! I’m in LA often and have stayed all over…The Peninsula, The W in Westwood, Sofitel, SLS Beverly Hills and tons more. They are all fabulous properties but continue to rise in cost. I have found a fairly new player in LA that was a complete surprise to me and is hitting on all cylinders, winning my business.

I’d like to introduce you to Hotel Angeleno. The response I’ve been getting from most people is, “Hmmm, where is that”?. It’s right under your nose at the corner of the 405 and Sunset. When you hear someone say “location, location, location”, Hotel Angeleno exemplifies the phrase. They are right smack in the middle of some of the best spots in LA. Minutes to the beach in Santa Monica and great dining in Brentwood, seconds to Beverly Hills and Westwood. You are literally looking into the backyards of A-listers out your window.

In my opinion, Hotel Angeleno doesn’t full on qualify as “luxury travel”, but it’s pretty damn close. It’s no Peninsula or Four Seasons. What is it? It’s pseudo luxury. I say that in the most positive way possible. I would describe it as a little brother to a W Hotel. It even has that great smell like when you walk into a W Hotel. It has warm modern public areas, an excellent pool area with comfy couches and tables, and a panoramic view of LA at their 17th floor West restaurant that is one of the best in LA. The gym is pretty basic, but enough to get in some cardio and dumb bells.

All of the luxury travel elements are in place, for the most part, but you really can’t call it a luxury hotel. I know…that sounds really strange…but Hotel Angeleno took over a previous property that was a Holiday Inn Express back in the day. So, they didn’t build it, they backed a smart brand into an existing shell that wound never even be in a luxury travel conversation. I am a hard critic of hotels and the level of service and experience inspired me to write this review.

The experience at Hotel Angeleno IS full luxury travel. They really have thought of everything. From the valet crew to the maids, someone is training the hell out of these people to be accommodating on every level. I was very impressed at how detailed and attentive every position performed. One of the most important elements is the bed, in my opinion, and our bed was awesome. The bed had a nice mixture of firm, yet with some soft give in the mattress. My 5 nights there were 5 of my best nights of sleep this year in a hotel.

Time to address cost. The bottom line. Getting that bill slid under your door on the last day can often times be sobering. Not at Hotel Angeleno. Valet parking is FREE, There is a FREE wine hour every day at 5:30 (Celebs show up— no kidding), Wireless internet is FREE (I was connected with great speed from my room to the corner of the pool), There is a FREE shuttle for anywhere in the area, and there are many more perks around every corner. The rate I received calling the hotel directly was $175 a night. In LA? With all above included FREE? YES! I would stay there a million times over. It was truly a fantastic experience. I do have one insider tip for you: Request a room on the 10th floor or higher as they have newer bathrooms vs. a tub/shower curtain on lower floors. I’ll just call that the ghost of the old Holiday Inn Express. I had to find something wrong with them:)

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 10th floor for newer bathrooms that have showers instead of a tub/shower cu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
AngelenoGstRelations, Front Office Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for this awesome review regarding our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My friend and I decided to stay here with our kids for our universal studios vacation. I had a deluxe king for me and my two kiddos and we were very happy. The room is very clean and not cluttered. The fridge actually works! So often I find in a hotel that our waters stay semi cold but this one worked perfect.
I found the doorless shower odd...makes for a fast shower because all the warm air escapes.
The bed and pillows are very comfy!

I will admit it's loud but, what do expect when you are literally right on the 405. I kept the AC unit on to block the sound of cars but the unit isn't exactly silent. I preferred that to the cars though.

The wifi is sooooo slow. I didn't either bother.

The only thing that upset me and the reason why I can't give it 5 stars is because I left at 8:30 in the morning and got back at 9:30 at night. I got to my door and it was open. Housekeeping forgot to close it. Lucky nothing was taken out of my room as I had laptop and iPad in there. I called down to give them a heads up and although the man was not rude he seemed like he didn't really care. No "I'm sorry"
I let it go ... It wasn't his fault and he said he would talk to housekeeping but I would have like a "I'm really sorry"

Overall I have to say we would stay again and the staff (especially valet) were so incredibly friendly.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with the internet as well as your door not being closed when you returned. I will be sure to share your experience with the rest of our team. We hope to see you again soon.

Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Angeleno? Share your experiences!