“Average hotel in a bad location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites by Convention Center

You added Quality Inn & Suites by Convention Center to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites by Convention Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 Silver Lake Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004 (Formerly Hollywood Silver Lake Hotel & Suites) (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #248 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Connecticut
“Average hotel in a bad location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

To be clear, this is the Holiday Inn Express at Silverlake, not Hotel 250 at silverlake, not sure why the confusion on the name. Even the shuttle service from the airport also had a hard time figuring out what hotel I was seeking transportation to, even though the hotel referred me to their service. They had to go by the street address.

Girl at check-in was very friendly and helpful as were all the other staff I encountered. Rooms were clean. Parking was sufficient. Hotel was quiet during my stay. The room was very simple with no frills. You get the basic amenities but nothing more. I think the rooms could use a bit of remodeling to feel a bit more accomodating. I was on the fifth floor, and the outside walkway faced right into the hillside and wasn't well lit at night...but at least it was quiet and not facing a noisy road. My other view was a portion of roof then Rt101. When the haze lifted enough, I was just able to make out the Hollywood sign on the distant hills.

The biggest con: Location location location. At first I did not rent a car thinking I could just take the metro to the LA Convention Center since it was only two blocks away. One look at the neighborhood and I opted for the rental car. There were some homeless hanging out near the hotel and it wasn't the kind of neighborhood I would feel safe walking in well after dark. The good news in all of this is that the hotel is set up upon a hill so there is a buffer zone between the neighborhood and the hotel property. But if staying here, plan on renting a car or taking a taxi.

Overall, generally pretty average. Other than the location I had no major complaints. At the same time, the services offered were just the bare bones, and the only real compliment I could give is that their front desk service was friendly. Bottom line: stay here if on a budget or having trouble finding room elsewhere. But look somewhere a bit nicer first if you can afford it.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

I recently attended a conference in LA. I was not planning on going, so my late booking left me with no hotel options close to the Convention Center. The closest, decent thing I could book was the HI Express at Silver Lake.

First of all, this is NOT a family resort hotel. A quick Google Earth of the area will quickly show the type of neighborhood it is in. That’s not to say that it is dangerous – just that it is 100% commercial/industrial with I-101 running right overhead. So these are the expectations you must set.

The guy at check-in was friendly, efficient and quick. The rest of the front desk staff were also quite pleasant and capable. Every time I requested a taxi for the morning (even for a 4:00 a.m. pickup), it was there. The cab ride to the Convention Center (or Staples Center) was about 15 minutes and $15.

The room was very clean and quiet, and the temperature controls worked well. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was more than acceptable. My junior suite had two TVs, a coffee pot and a rather nice desk. The free WiFi worked great. The bathrooms were a bit dated, but clean. The showerhead was new. I did not eat the continental breakfast (which looked very limited), but the coffee was pretty good with decent-sized “go” cups provided.

So, for a three-day business stay this place was more than acceptable. But would I take my family here or stay here for a LA vacation? No. The Silver Lake simply is not in a tourist area.

• Liked — Clean, confortable, free WiFi
  • Disliked — Poor Locations
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Okinawa, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

The fist room we were given was on the forth floor. We though no problem. There is no fourth floor on the elevator. You had to get off on the third floor and climb a flight of steps.

The second room smelled like cigarettes and underarms. We did n't even go inn all of the way. The walkway did not feel sturdy, and it was noisy on that side of the hotel.

The third room was smelly, but quiet. I figured it was the best we could get.

The beds were hard, and blankets were thin. Also housekeeping wanted our dirty towels at 10am. This was their only was of the day.

The staff was nice, however I found it strange that they were wearing jeans behind the counter.

There is limited parking, and it is up on a hill. No large vehicles can fit here. Also the area is questionable as I seen many homeless people in the area.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nebraska City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

Excellent NEW room! The room was so new you can smell the new paint and carpet. I was at this hotel last year and it was OK, I must say I was surprise when i walk in the room. The staff is very nice. The area is OK, but very close to Downtown and Hollywood.

• Liked — The TV Channels
  • Disliked — The are is ok, but just like NY.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dana Point, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

I stayed here with my family for the Los Angeles marathon. We were a little concerned about the location but once we got there, it was fine. The neighborhood didn't seem particularly bad and I was planning to walk to the subway in the morning (but ended up getting a ride from my husband anyway). The management could not have been nicer, greating us enthusiastically and chatting about the marathon, the weather, and everything else under the sun. The room was clean and good sized, and breakfast in the morning was fine...coffee, juice, cereal, pastries, etc. Our only complaints (and they are minor) was that there wasn't a dvd player in the room, as mentioned on the website, and I saw a bug or 2 in the bathroom. Not a big deal. Oh, and the internet access worked fine from our room.

• Stayed March 2006
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

We booked two rooms with a hollywood view as it was faboulously advertised. It was more like a lauzy, small room, yucky carpet, with balcony--not a good value for $150.00 plus tax, a night. When we checked in, we got two rooms at the 5th floor, however, one of the room, was smelly. No body can survive within 1 minutes in that smelly room. The staff relocated us to the third floor, no balcony, without giving consideration for the lower rate. What you can expect? The room was small and old as well. The wireless internet connection is not working and the staff can explain. The next day, the other staff suggest us to use lobby's wireless connection, still cannot work and no sympaty to help.

This is one on the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. I'm disapointed with this Holiday Inn property--they can do better than this!

I would not recommend this place to anyone on earth.

• Stayed January 2006
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2005

We booked a room here for 4 nights and had planned to stay another 2 nights if the location and service worked out. NO GO!

We had clean towels provided only once during our stay despite my pleas on 2 ocassions for clean ones! My husband went to the front desk and waited for the staff to "borrow" the cleans ones from an unoccupied room! I was told by both housekeeping and the front desk that this hotel didn't have enough towels for replacement until they washed the dirty ones! We would have to wait to take showers! I have never in my life heard of such a thing at a hotel chain like Holiday Inn and plan to discuss this with the corporate office. There was NO internet connection at all! It was said to be having server problems - right - but call that "service" problems and in all areas! We never attempted breakfast being afraid to trust the freshness of food in such a place.

The parking lot is insufficient in size and is dark and dangerous appearing. The room seemed to be clean when we arrived, but when there is NO service whatsoever, and when basic needs cannot be met perhaps it is time for management to consider a different profession. Even though one staff member was quite friendly and helpful when we arrived, I would not recommend this place to anyone on earth.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Quality Inn & Suites by Convention Center? Share your experiences!