“Perfect location and staff, but not the room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

You added Magic Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Magic Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7025 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #1 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Wimbledon
“Perfect location and staff, but not the room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

The staff were overly nice, and the location we perfect. About a 3 min walk to Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese Theatre. You are also given a menu of complimentary drinks and snacks to get from reception throughout your stay, which was great.

The room was nothing like the website would suggest. We stayed in a double room which certainly hadn't been renovated. It was clean, but old and small and a bit dingy. It was the most expensive hotel of our trip and by far the worst room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

It was just my husband and I this time, but I have already recommended the Magic Castle to various friends with kids. The suite was large and comfortable with great amenities like free WiFi, flatscreen televisions in the bedroom and livingroom, and a great kitchen. The room was quiet and I slept in daily while my husband frequented the pool. The hotel is exceptionally well-managed and the staff super friendly. Whether it was a request for a petite breakfast at noon or we were taking advantage of the free snacks and beverages, the service was always dispensed efficiently and with a smile. All in all, the hotel is one that I would recommend unhesitantly!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We could not have asked for a better place to call home base during our stay in LA. The staff members we met were all very friendly and welcoming. The location was central for all we wanted to do and see. I loved the ambiance of the place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

For my daughter's 18th birthday and HS grad i gave her a road trip to Cali. We traveled from San Fran to LA. Our stay a the Magic Castle was fantastic. The location was perfect. We didn't need the rental car for the 4 days we were there. The room was huge, clean and comfortable. We almost didn't want to leave it to see the sights. The free snacks were great and endless. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Jason at the front desk was unbelievably helpful and thoughtful. We even came back to the room the second night to find a cake and a note congratulating my daughter on her graduation high school. I'm glad this was our last stop because the Magic Castle put the other hotels to shame. Had this been my first stop I would have been so disappointed in the other places we stayed expecting the same dedication and comfort. Thank you Jason and the entire staff at Magic Castle you made my time in LA just "disappear".

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Southport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My immediate and extended family all stayed at the Magic Castle at the beginning of June for five nights. We enjoyed every minute. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and made us feel so welcome - hotel management should be very proud of their employees.
We arrived quite late on the first night and the staff (thoughtfully) put us in a ground floor room so as to make it easier with luggage and two kids...however after we complained about the noise (we were very very close to the pool area) we were moved to another room that was further away and perfect. Our room was a one bedroom apartment that was actually larger than some apartments my husband and I have lived in! It had a large renovated kitchen, living area with sofabed for our daughter, hallway with lots of storage cupboards and a large separate bedroom. Our friends stayed in another one bedroom apartment that had not yet been as recently renovated so I can see why some guests would not be happy, however even so - the space makes it a perfect base for families visiting the area. A suite in a hotel would not be as large and would cost a LOT more. The hotel is not brand new, there is some work to do, but we have stayed in five star hotels that had nicer rooms and have not had nearly as good a time as the staff had been so rude. We will take nice people and a bit more space anytime.
We will be staying here again when we return to LA next year.
Thank you Magic Castle!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
h-town
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The staff wase awesome!!!!! The room smelled like pee--- really strong pee. I Asked for airfreshner and it did not help! It was so strong that I could not sleep. [--]

Wiltshire, Englad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We picked this hotel on account of the price and the reviews on this website. Although we enjoyed our stay, there is no way this hotel is LA's number one hotel. The staff are incredibly polite and helpful, but that is about the only bit I can't find fault with. Our room (a studio) was small and very dated with a view of the wall of another part of the building. The A/C in the room also looked like a very old system and was incredibly noisy, meaning you couldn't sleep with it on so your sleep is disturbed due to the heat. Worst of all, our bed was crawling with ants from the second day onwards! They were all over the duvet, pillows and valance sheets and also all over my bag and clothes. We reported it but were told this is normal for the time of year. I'm interested to know if anyone else experienced this? I struggle to believe they couldn't do anything about it.

Breakfast is a bit of a chaotic experience as the food is assembled over just a few tables in the lobby and if you time it badly, it's too difficult to get to the food to enjoy the experience.

I had such high expectations of this hotel based on their own website and this one but found it a massive disappointment.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. I was very surprised to read about the problem with ants. While it’s true that in Los Angeles, there are more ants around in the summer time, we take great measures to prevent them from getting in to our building. After talking with the front desk staff and maintenance (and reading our log book), it is my understanding that we immediately remedied the problem for the duration of your stay. We wish we would have known that the ants returned. Our front desk agent remembers talking to you the next day regarding the incident and there was no mention that ants had returned.

Anyone considering our hotel should know that this incident was extremely rare and we take it very seriously.

Regarding your comments on our breakfast; we are a 40 room boutique hotel. While our lobby is on the smaller side, we do have lots of great breakfast options…all complimentary. Our pastries are delivered fresh out of the ovens of one of L.A.’s best bakeries…Susina. A variety of scones, muffins, croissants are offered. We also serve cold and hot cereals, bread for toast, yogurt, fruit, granola, coffee, tea. If there is anything a guest would like and we don’t have it, we’re happy to run to the store and get it. The breakfast is open from 7am-10am. If any guest would like for us to open it earlier or close it later, we’re happy to do it. We’re all about accommodating our guests’ individual needs.

Seven of our rooms are the singles (this guest was in a single), the rest are suites with full kitchens and a dining area. Many guests choose to eat breakfast outside in our courtyard. We have several round tables there. Some guests choose to eat in the pool area. Guests with balconies often choose to eat outside overlooking the pool. Others may choose to take their breakfast back to their room and eat in privacy in their suite. We have many options.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a comment, I just wish we were able to provide you with a better experience. Should you return, and I hope you do, please contact me so I can have a chance to make things right.

Darren Ross

Been to Magic Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!