“Didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Save Saved
You added Magic Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Magic Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7025 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #1 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
queensland australia
“Didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to this hotel, the first time was 4 years ago. Nothing has changed, except the new paint job! Staff were ALL super happy and friendly, nothing was a hassle for them. I'd like to know what their boss Darren does to have such wonderful staff- he should market it! This is not a five star hotel and it doesn't pretend to be. The rooms are clean, our suite was spacious, the breakfast was adequate, and the free unlimited mini bar was well frequented by our children. The vegemite at breakfast was a welcomed surprise - now if we could just work on the coffee!
The service is what makes the hotel stand out. We were offered a complimentary room nearby to use for the day to shower and relax before our 11pm flight home
A great location.
You will not be disappointed staying here.

Stayed January 2014

1,920 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here about 6 months ago and we still talk about how wonderful this place was. I travel A LOT and have never experienced this type of service. I truly was amazing service from all the staff.

If you are wanting the full 5 star hotel experience, this place is not for you. However if you are looking for a home away from home in a fantastic location, you can't beat this property.

I recommend the Magic Castle Hotel to anyone looking for a great holiday experience!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great little hotel - lots of apartments that are built around a central pool. The customer service was amazing, they really could not do enough to make our stay as good as possible. We had a one bedroom unit (sleeps six). There were two queen beds in the bedroom and a sofa sleeper in the lounge. The sofa sleeper wasn't very comfortable (even for our teenage boy who generally isn't too fussy). We ended up making him up a bed on the floor from the cushions instead. The unit was very large and had a balcony that overlooked the pool (very nice). The kitchen and bathroom were older and probably on the list to be renovated I assume (I think some of the other units had been done). They were very clean however and had everything we needed. The hotel really does provide free snacks (we have three teenage boys who eat like teenage boys, so this was great for us). The breakfast was very nice. The location was great - just a block to the walk of fame and really close to everything we wanted to do - oh, and one of our boys is mad on the gym, and although they do not have an exercise room on site, they refunded him the cost of going to LA Fitness which was just around the block. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for somewhere affordable in the Hollywood area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We loved our stay here. We were greeted with big smiles and a beautiful congratulations cake in our room and a card signed by all the staff. From unlimited snacks, free DVDs, restaurant menu's to order in and your laundry washed and brought to your room, the staff here continued to go above and beyond for us. The room/apartment could have used a bit of maintenance and was starting to look tired but the size was huge (a nice break from staying in small hotel rooms) and the furniture was really comfortable.

This place provides great value for money and the best service I have ever received ( we only stay 5 star usually). Great for families or couples. Thanks to all the staff!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for our second time and loved it again. The staff are some the best of any hotel I've stayed at, they are so welcoming and helpful. We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites this time, and although the location of the room itself wasn't as convenient as when we stayed in the deluxe queen room, the room itself made up for it. It was a lovely apartment, beautifully furnished with a lovely window overlooking the garden and street. I could live there! This time around we go to go to the Magic Castle itself, which was one of the highlights of not only this US trip but my life! Do not overlook it! I'll never go to LA and not stay at the Magic Castle for at least a night!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Aus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

A lot has already been said about the quality of the staff and service but for me this was a real highlight. Arriving early in the morning after a long flight the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. And I am pleased to stay this continued throughout the stay. The location is great and for a family, the two bedroom apartment was a great option. Plenty of room and good layout. Is it a modern, luxury hotel... no but it is clean and well appointed. The breakfast is simple but more than adequate and as other have said, the free snacks a nice bonus. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My partner and I ended our North America trip in Los Angeles by spending 2 nights at the Magic Castle Hotel.

We hired a rental car with GPS and it is about 20-30 minutes from LAX to the hotel (dependent on traffic). The hotel has secure onsite parking (opens with the keycard) which is $11 per day exclusive of taxes.

It is in West Hollywood, VERY close to the Chinese Theatre and Dolby Theatre and there is a grocery store near by too.

Upon arrival we were treated with a glass of lemon squash I think and they remembered it was my birthday (nearly my birthday). When I got to my room I found a box and a birthday card which was signed by all the staff and inside the box was a small chocolate cake. That was really thoughtful and heartwarming.

That night we had a dinner reservation for the Magic Castle next door which was organised by the staff at the hotel and is free to hotel guests and includes a magic show which was spectacular. If you want valet parking it is $10 but we didn't need it. Since it was for my birthday I got a badge with my name and a complimentary champagne and dessert and my waiter even sang happy birthday to me.

The room was kind of run down, which isn't a big issue for me but it was evident especially the shower. They provide the normal hygiene products and also mouth rinse which was a surprise as I am a dental student. They have a in-room safe and mini refrigerator which you can store your items in and then you have your complimentary snacks from the front desk which is awesome as this saves a lot of money compared to those hotels which charge ridiculous prices for items in the mini bar. There is a bottle of Fuji water for $4 in the room though and there's no actual complimentary water bottles but if you request water in a paper cup then the front desk are more than willing to get it for you otherwise just go to the grocery store where you can get 4L bottles of water for a decent price.

We got turn down service, which is an extra bonus as I have the next day's weather forecast in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. Though we didn't get turn down service on our last night which was odd.

Location wise, it's close to most things (if you have a car) but it is at least 45 minutes away from Disneyland which is in Anaheim (traffic is bad in LA so let's say at least an hr or more) but it is very close to Universal, however we decided to go to Universal on our last day as our flight wasn't until late evening and left Universal at 4.30pm but didn't arrive to LAX until 6.30-7.00pm due to LA traffic! Luckily our flight time changed to an hr later so we had ample time for check-in and wondering.

We didn't get to try the pool, I recall it being heated or the complimentary laundry service as we weren't there for long enough. Or even the bath robes which are supplied in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Magic Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!