“Enjoyed my stay and felt welcome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Save Saved
You added Magic Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Magic Castle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7025 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A.)   |
Announcement
Free Laundry Service!
Ranked #1 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
“Enjoyed my stay and felt welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I don't remember ever having enjoyed a hotel stay this much. To be honest, at the moment I can't remember ever before having truly enjoyed a hotel stay at all!

It was clearly the staff that made this possible. I can't put my finger on exactly what put the service into a class of its own. The closest I can come is that I felt they were encouraging me to make good use of the many little extras they offer instead of merely informing me what was available. Each person was kind about fetching a cold soft drink whenever I wanted one, sure, but there was more to it: every time I asked for information, they went a step further and made an offer to make my task easier, as when I had letters to post to people outside the country and they took care of everything except the writing of the letters!

I liked the fact that this is a building "of a certain age" and converted apartments at that. It helped me remember what city I was staying in--I've stayed in anonymous modern five-star hotels that could have been in any English-speaking city. Had the conversion been done poorly or on the cheap, I might not have liked it, but this place is scrupulously maintained to a level rarely seen.

I enjoyed the breakfast (and it usually takes a cooked breakfast to get a compliment from me). I also liked the clean retro touches of small things like the hotel stationery (you see, kiddies, once upon a time, your loved ones had to wait for the post to find out how your vacation was going) and even got a smile out of the bunny-ears motif that popped up once or twice in the rooms.

Because the hotel is so close to most of the places I was visiting, I found it convenient to head out and return to the hotel every time I needed to cool off with a dip in the pool. And of course it was most convenient for my trips to the Magic Castle itself. Next time, I intend to have them book me a dinner in the club.

Service, location, and a minor "in" with the Magic Castle. Yes, I'll be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in a one-bedroom room and was fine with that. If you want a poolside balcony, be prepared t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1,900 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Greek first
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Perhaps not the most updatet hotel for the price but the room was clean and the service was splendid. The location is good in Hollywood Hills, near Chinese Theatre and Hollywood Walk of fame. The staff takes care of you and makes sure that everything is ok at your stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have recently returned from a 3 week holiday to the USA and we started our holiday at the Magic Castle Hotel, the only downside to starting here is we didn't want to move on, everything else seemed second rate when compared to this hotel. Easily the friendliest people in the USA, they couldn't have been more accommodating,nothing seemed to be too much trouble. One of the managers Nick took the time to say hello at every opportunity, even after a long day at work he was on his way home and still stopped to see how our day had been! I could go on for ever about this place and we genuinely are missing it but i would have to say this, if you are looking for 6 star service and accommodation that is nice without being the MGM then go see these guys, you will not regret the decision. Thanks to everyone there for making our holiday a blast and thanks for the Vegemite which was gifted to us by Lisa, it was most appreciated in Las Vegas. Oh yeah and the complex reminds me of the Melrose Place apartments, really trendy and is a 5 minute walk from Hollywood Boulevard which was awesome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I (both 21) have just returned from a 3 day visit to this Hotel in LA. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed by 3 lovely staff with champagne. Because our stay in LA was short, the staff were extremely helpful whilst we interogated them for a long time about what we could do during our stay and the best way to get to places etc. They could answer all of our questions and booked us on several trips with no hassle. The room was clean, with a large TV complete with HBO and movies on demand, perfect after a busy day! There was even a list of DVDs which the hotel had which you could rent from them free of charge for as long as you need!The best part was snacks and drinks available whenever you wanted! There was lots of variety to choose from and you could get them 24/7, or even have them delivered to your room. The pool was also 24/7 and usually we were the only people in there which was nice and relaxing. There was also a fridge in our room where we could store food and drinks (we loved taking ice cold water out with us every day for our trips), as well as dressing gowns and a free safe. Also, this hotel is in a prime location! 2 minute walk from Hollywood Boulevard (the good end too!) where there is some great shops and the metro station to take you almost anywhere. The is also complimentary continental breakfast every morning from 7-10am, and there is even trays available for you to take the breakfast back to your room. There was also fresh, ice cold cucumber water 24/7 in reception, perfect when coming back from long days in the heat. We would love to return to LA and when we do we will definately be staying in this hotel again. I would also reccomend if you go to this hotel to take a dinner suit/dress, as next door to the hotel is the Magic Castle Club where there is dinner and shows from all up and coming Magicians (apparently once a magician gets to perform here, they have made it big!). The hotel said they could book us a night with dinner and a show there for $25 each as we were staying in the hotel, but sadly we didn't take our nice outifits with us (although if ladies have a nice dress, men can hire suits from the hotel for free), but when we return we will definately be trying this!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Abi W,
I really enjoyed reading your review and am so happy you enjoyed our hotel so much!!! That makes us all feel great and we can't wait for you to return.

I just wanted to clear up a couple of your details for the benefit of others who might be reading this, as we don't want anyone to be disappointed.
1. The welcome drink is not actually alcohol...just a refreshing lemon drink.
2. The cost of going to the Magic Castle Club next door is usually $25 per person, PLUS the cost of dinner...it's not included with the door charge.
3. Our hotel does lend sport coats and ties at no charge for gentlemen who didn't bring them. We do not lend full suits. We don't lend trousers.

Sorry....I don't mean to pick a part your wonderful review, I would just hate for readers out there to have the wrong expectations. Everything else was spot on though! Thank you for taking the time to write all you did. We'll see you soon I hope!!

Darren Ross
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

A great hotel in a great location. We did not have high expectations of Hollywood but the location of the hotel to the boulevarde was great & easy walking distance. The room was great as we had a family room, the beds comfy & the complimentary laundry service a real treat after days on the road. The pool was great wind down time for the kids with ice blocks delivered by management. Caters for families very well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Magic Castle Hotel in Sept. The staff here are second to none. Every staff member is very friendly, obliging and helpful, even the manager Darren has time for a friendly chat.
The free snacks are a really nice touch which the kids loved. There is always fruit and refreshing iced water in the lobby. The breakfast has a vast erray to choose from too. Lovely Lizette even did our laundry for us, I dont know of many hotels that would do that.
The rooms are a little dated but very clean and comfortable. They are not 5star but the hotel doesnt claim to be either. The location, amenities and staff more than make up for this.
We would definitely recommend this hotel. Thanks Magic Castle for making our first stop on our USA adventure so pleasurable.

• Stayed September 2013
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It was an amazing hotel the rooms were absolutely Brilliant and Kevin, Darren, Nick D and Nick M were absolutely amazing help! I recommend this hotel to everyone that comes to Los Angeles!!!

Very Good!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 119 is the best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Magic Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!