“Seems hip. Poor service and impractical.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills

You added SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills to your Saves list
SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   465 South La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #38 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Seems hip. Poor service and impractical.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010 via mobile

Too dark. Restaurant service slow. Rquestsd removal of feather bedding twice due to allergies and was told I was placed in a 'pure' room so I was good to go. Realizing at midnight this wasn't the case, slept the night without a blanket and used one pillow in the room that was foam.

Pros: pretty clean and can get Starwood points

• Stayed September 2010
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Apologies for not being able to respond quickly to your allergic needs.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit so that I can personally handle your arrangements and make the appropriate notes in your guest profile.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I've been meaning to write this review for months now. I'm from the UK and I visited LA for the first time with family. Firstly the hotel definately had the wow factor, very modern, very clean, very hollywood. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated...actually liked the wierd bathroom door that people on here don't like so much.

The service was amazing, concierge were so helpful with our first trip to LA. They managed to get us great reservations at restaurants such as XIV (best table in the house btw). Also they drop you off in STYLE! The merc shuttle bus was cool, but they also have cars such as top of the range audis and mercs.

Really can't say enough about concierge, trying to remember names...Waldo was cool, Freido knew everything about where to go and Laurie(?) was sooo resourceful. Warner Bros left the tag on my souvenier t-shirt and Laurie manged to get it sorted for me - t-shirt back at my door within 30mins!! I really hope i got the names correct as they are doing their jobs WELL!

There was one guy however that often worked at the same time as Laurie who was unneccassarily rude ALL the time... wish I could remember his name LOL. If it wasn't for him, I would've rated service as 5.

Pool = v cool, just wish it didn't close at 9.

Expect to see celebs! lol

I'm back in LA in Feb, want to stay here but it's full :(
Maybe I'll still checkout the Bazaar ?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice feedback and we are indeed fortunate to have such a world class Concierge team. I will be sure to share your comments with Waldo, Fredo and Lori. Apologies for the slight let down which I will follow up on.

We hope to see you in February!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This hotel looks hip & cool but the rooms are V ordinary - although the furnishings are quite nice it feels really dark and boxed in, actually quite depressing!! I'm in a studio suite and it's like being in a dark little hole, no view whatsoever, no bath and stinks of cigarettes! I'm booked here for 10 days - no way I can stay here AWFUL!!!! I travel 6 months of the year and are fortunate to be able to stay in V nice hotels - sadly this not one I could recommend!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
I am sorry that the SLS Hotel was not for you and the design did not delight you.

Thank you for your feedback.
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

As a Platinum SPG member, a luxury weekend away is a rare and wonderful experience. We stayed at the SLS for a fun night away and hoped for an equally indulgent dinner experience. The hotel was nice, but the Premier Rooms were a bit small. Service was very good, but had a quirky problem with the wrong name associated with our room...called front desk 3 x's to have it changed, but they never fixed it.
Had drinks & Tapas in the renowned Bazaar restaurant/bar. Service was terrible - watched our drinks sit on the bar ready for pickup, for 10 minutes. Staff was gossiping about clientele and tapas were salty and over priced for the quality.
We went to Morton's next door to eat - which was wonderful and recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and 4 Stars!

I will follow up on your feedback and share with our hotel staff so that we can continue to improve.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days. Reminded me of a Hotel W with a unique twist.

Pros
1) Big, clean room
2) Nice staff
3) Hotel car service was available to take us to Rodeo drive

Cons
1) Very expensive drinks and food (Mojito costs $16.00). My wife and I ate had 2 appetizers and a few drinks and spent almost $150.00
2) Pool area is very crowded
3) Lots of smoking going on in the front door entry area, which moves into the main reception area
4) location - hard to walk to anything worthwhile
5) shower did not get hot (luke warm every shower)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, nice review and your "Pros" for the SLS Hotel.

I would like to comment on your "Cons":
1. Our pricing is competitive to similar restaurants and hotels in the area and we are constantly reviewing.
2. Our Pool is indeed popular and therefore can be crowded but it is still for the use of hotel guests only.
3. Smoking continues to be popular in Los Angeles and our front veranda is the only place for smokers to smoke. I do not think we will ever win with this and be able to satisfy both smokers and non smokers but I will keep looking for solutions.
4. Hence, the car service which you mentioned as a Pro.
5. Apologies for lack of hot water but this is very unusual as I have not received this comment before. I'll investigate.
Northumberland UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

At last, a hotel that cares how it looks beyond the public areas. Carpets you sink into, rooms that make you feel you are on holiday and attention to detail that most hotels would wish for. Alex at concierge was excellent. Our first time in LA, he made sure we made the most of our visit. Lionel and Dan in the house car gave us all the information we needed as they took us around in luxury. The rooftop pool, Altitude was chic and relaxed, with excellent service from the staff. If you like contemporary luxury, cool design and being well looked after, visit the SLS.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Great! Thank you for the 5 Stars and a fantastic review. I'll be sure to share your comments with Alex, Lionel and Dan.

On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Our stay at the SLS got mixed reviews. The teenagers thought it was cool; my husband found it stylish and innovative. I thought it was too weird to really feel comfortable. The whole Phillippe Stark style made me feel like I was at MoMA (or maybe a less celebrated Modern art museum)--the pool, especially, surrounded by frames and mirrors was just too weird for me. It was basically like Tim Burton's vision of Alice in Wonderland--if you liked that, you'll love this hotel.

The furniture was all meant to be impressive but not particularly functional, For example, there were not outlets near the bed, and the side tables, while chic, didn't have full shelves so things kept slipping down onto the floor. The shower doors did not close well so things kept dropping to the floor when the door was "slammed." One had to walk behind the bed to get places, and trip on wires (ah--there were the outlets!!)

Service was good--the valet staff was very friendly and prompt and the registration desk was staffed by energetic people. They raved about the fitness center which turned out to be just okay. I didn't need the concierge at all, which is probably just as well--I'm sure they could have directed me to clubs, etc., which I am way too old for.

Bottom line: not the right scene for a suburban mom.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on the design of the hotel. Once again design is a matter of personal tatse and I am sorry that the SLS Hotel was not to your liking.

However, I am pleased that your daughters found the SLS Hotel "cool" and your husband found it "stylish and innovative."

We hope to welcome your family back soon!

Thank you for the feedback.

Been to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!