“Horrible place. I checked out immediately.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills

You added SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills to your Saves list
SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   465 South La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #44 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Ashland, OR
“Horrible place. I checked out immediately.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Beware this hotel if you want the room you've reserved. I spoke with a rep twice to make sure I got a one bedroom suite, a quiet room on a high floor (I'm a delicate sleeper, and I had a lot of meetings in LA). I had never been to the hotel before. The first thing you notice when you arrive (as previously mentioned) is how dark everything is -- just painfully hip (and mirrored!) in the worst possible way. When I checked in I discovered that they had no note about the quiet room on a high floor -- I was put on the second floor facing La Cienega Blvd (believe me, it's a nightmare). And not a one bedroom suite either! A small, garish, noisy, dark room. I could not imagine sleeping there. I tried to change rooms but they had none to spare, they said. And so I called the London Hotel, got myself a suite, and checked out. And of course, they charged me for the night, despite granting me absolutely none of my requests. Believe the bad reviews. Seriously .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your experience at the SLS Hotel.

All of our Suites are in high demand and I am sorry that we could not accommodate you in the right one which would of made you happy.

I know getting the right room is important to you so if you want to give us another chance, please contact me directly so that I can personally make your room reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
S. CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I am an SPG Platinum member and usually get upgraded to beautiful suites as a matter of course, especially within my home state of CA. For the first time this year, that did not happen at this hotel - not a junior suite, basically no upgrade at all for my platinum status (and this was my very special anniversary night with my wife), so I would normally be a bit disappointed with the situation. But, I believe the front desk folks were genuine when they told me they had no upgrade rooms available for this particular night and Peggy promised me a beautiful suite upgrade next time I want to come back (which I will next month). So, as for the hotel... simply amazing. Here are bullet points about the stay: (1) There is something in the air here at this hotel, where you just know you are part of a very special hotel. Hard to describe other than a very positive vibe; (2) The staff is incredibly friendly. Before we dined at Bizarre, Lucas Paya took the time to put together his recommended menu for the evening for us!! And, he picked some dishes we would have never selected and they were incredible - such as traditional and modern olives, the "Philly Cheesesteak", the "hanger steak" - our favorite dish from the (9) items we ate in all! We did not get to the dish made with cotton candy - we are saving it to come back next month with the kids!! The staff at the pool was super friendly as well - not to mention the room service staff. And, of course, Peggy, who truly felt bad that she could not do any better for us (roon wise) on our special night and told us to speak to her directly before setting up our next visit (can't wait); (3) The restaurant - "Bizarre" - I believe one of only 2 restaurants in LA that has received a "five star" rating from the LA Times(??) or something like that - and we quickly found out why! If you want an incredible experience in dining - don't miss this restaurant! We ordered (9) items in all and with tax, tip, drinks and all included our bill was under $140 - not cheap, but certainly not expenisve by any "LA" measure; (4) The room was clean, great bed, TV that is part of the mirrored wall, large bottles of shampoo, etc., access to nice pool tables on every floor; (5) good location - an easy 1 block walk to the Beverly Center mall, a Mortons right next door, easy access to all the local attractions; (5) Nightlife inside the hotel - WOW. What a "happening" bar/lounge. Bottle service at around $300/bottle, special drinks with liquid nitrogen(?), beautiful people - my wife and I commented how much fun we would have had at this bar (20) years ago (LOL). Overall, a wonderful stay. If you want to treat yourself to something special - don't miss this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your great feedback and positive comments!

I will be sure to share with the entire SLS Hotel staff especially Peggy and Lucas.

Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit so that I can personally handle your reservations.

Until we meet again... See Life Sideways!
Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was there for 2 nights with my wife and 9 years boy. The hotel is nice and well decorated (modern style). However, the location is very bad as you cannot go anywhere in Beverly Hills without using your car. Then, the service is terrible: nodoby to open the hotel doors even if you're carrying your luggage! When we came back to our room at 7 pm, the room was not done! We went out for dinner and I kindly asked the reception that I'd like to have my room cleaned when we're back. At 11pm, when we came back, same situation... I called the reception and they send someone to clean our room, but no excuse, no inviation to a drink while we were waiting, just disgusting! The food (tapas style) at the restaurant was really bad and overpriced. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your SLS Hotel experience and thank you for your comments.

I have addressed your issue with our Housekeeping Department and we have improved our staffing levels and our process so that we can better accomodate our guests especially when the hotel is busy.

I am surprised that you did not enjoy your dining experience at The Bazaar. It still continues to be one of the most popular and highly regarded restaurants in Los Angeles. I would appreciate more details in your feedback.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We called ahead to book using a rate they had posted online - discounted rate for the first two nights, third night free. When we called before we came, they said that we should just talk to the front desk on the morning of the third day. Well, it's the morning of the third day and now they are saying that we were booked differently so they can't honor the third night free. We were planning on staying until the end of the week, but they said that their rates could change "like the airlines" so now I'm concerned about the bill we would receive at the end. For such a high-end hotel, I'm really surprised that they would haggle over rates rather focusing on overall customer satisfaction, loyalty and advocacy.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for any confusion and inconvenience you experienced with our room rates.

I believe you stayed with us as part of a group as our staff at the Front Desk remember you.

Since you were with a group you already had a discounted rate. To avail of the the third night free you need to pay for the first two nights at the best available retail rate.

I hope this clarifies. If not, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

sweetie27
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

This is my first review on tripadvisor because I felt everyone needs to know this before spending any money on this hotel. Their service is horrible, they do everything in their power to ruin your experience. The pool is exteremy small and the staff is unfriendly and rude. The concierge is very forgetful about what they promise to do. The staff is not knowlegable about hotel policy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Thank you for sharing your comments and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at SLS Hotel.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind to contact me directly so that I may get more detail on the inconveniences you experienced.

Hopefully we will be able to get you to return to the hotel and give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the SLS for three days. It was our first trip to LA and I feel that our stay at this hotel which was fantastic made our trip great. It was interesting, unique and a lot of fun, yet it was also sophisticated. From the time we arrived at the hotel the service given by the entire staff was incredible. They were friendly yet extremely professional. The hotel itself is beautiful.

Our room was on the 7th floor. The rooms were a bit dark, but I still found them to be functional. It was very quiet and almost felt as if noone was around yet the hotel lobby was busy and I was told that they were at 100% occupancy. The bed was very comfortable and the bathtub/shower was great. We really enjoyed the large sized shampoo, shower gel etc provided in the room. The fitness center was very nice and well equipped for a hotel which is always a nice surprise. I was able to spend two afternoons at the pool which was fun yet relaxing. The poolside service was great. The location of the hotel was good for us, as it was close to Rodeo Drive and the Grove and not too far from Downtown LA which is where I had to take my daughter each morning.

The food served at the hotel was wonderful. We were not able to have dinner at Bazaar but did have the opportunity to enjoy breakfast at Tres and lunch poolside and everything we tried was fabulous.

Next time we are in LA, we will definitely make an effort to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your very positive review!

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills soon.

Until we see you again... See Life Sideways!
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just enjoyed an in-town getaway here. We wanted a base from which we could reexplore such shopping/dining areas as: the Beverly Center, The Grove/Farmer's Market, Third St., Robertson Blvd., Melrose Ave., La Cienega Blvd., and Beverly Blvd. The choice came down to the SLS and the Sofitel; the new Montage Beverly Hills was enticing but too far west. We opted for the SLS because it is newer, a Starwood Luxury Collection property, nightlife guru Sam Nazarian's first hotel, and home to The Bazaar by Jose Andres, only the second restaurant to ever receive the highest four star rating from the Los Angeles Times (the first, Bastide, is now closed).

Monkeys are the SLS's mascots because, a front desk staffer told me, they are "fun, yet sophisticated", which is the hotel's aim. Designed by Philippe Starck with typical whimsy, humour and modern style (sometimes at the expense of practicality or function), the hotel also tries to provide a high level of service. For the most part, it succeeds. The staff is young, friendly and largely professional, but certainly less formal than at a Peninsula or Four Seasons. On weekends, there are lots of young partying beautiful guests usurping the pool and restaurant/bar, causing commotion in the hallways and rooms (think HBO's "Entourage"), but come Sunday, the place settles down.

There are separate entrances to The Bazaar and hotel, which has its own quiet restaurant, Tres. The hotel's lobby lounge is actually outdoors. Typical Starck touches abound--mismatched furniture everywhere, long tall communal tables in the restaurants, mismatched glassware in the rooms, all varieties of chandeliers and huge mirrors. The front desk area is dark. The meeting rooms are named after famous monkeys. A room key is needed to ascend any elevator. Each floor has a pool table with a silver floor lamp shaped like a rifle. Throughout the lobby and restaurant are myriads of shelves filled with books and tchotchkes--a housekeeping nightmare!

THE ROOM. I had reserved a veranda room, but the very accommodating receptionist quickly upgraded me to a Signature Suite with terrace when no veranda rooms were available. It was large and so very chic. The terrace rooms all seem to be on the 2nd floor with the terraces exiting onto 3 different garden courtyards. As mentioned in numerous prior reviews, the rooms are dark, with many tinted, almost useless reflective smudgeable surfaces/mirrors (even in the shower)--another housekeeping nightmare--I was compelled to leave a larger than usual tip out of sympathy. The desk lamp looks hand-blown but is insufficient. I'm sure the floor lamp styled like a tree trunk and the lighted makeup mirror in the bath were added in response to guest comments about darkness. The sofas and chairs in the living area were chic but not cushy/comfy/plush. There were several design elements that did not seem durable: the white upholstery was stained, the handles on the heavy mirrored sliding doors to the bath were loose, the leather pulls used to open the unique closet doors were frayed and weakened. The large safe is situated too high. To encourage a festive atmosphere, the minibar is very amusing and complete--large bottles of booze plus interesting mixers, a martini shaker, 2 bins of treats labeled Saints and Sinner. The bed was queen size, low (to fit into the sleek custom headboard/nightstands), not quite Westin Heavenly. The terrace showed evidence of past revelry and lack of maintenance--many cigarette butts on the ground, a cigarette burn in the sofa. The shrubs by the wall were dead (hopefully not from urine), but the bamboo was alive and the potted Meyer lemon trees were bearing fruit. There are W Hotel-like catchphrases all over, some of them "SLS", like "Scribble Little Secrets" on the pen, "Society's Latest Scandals" on the newspaper bag. In the bath, several common items were forsaken for style--no wall towel racks (just 2 stylish hooks), no bars of soap, no soap dish, no luggage rack. There were, however, huge Costco-sized bottles of hand, face and body washes, plus body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. The guest directory will tell you these are green because they are refillable. I asked the housekeeper if people take them like they do the usual mini-sized ones--she said yes, so we did. The shower is slate, mirrored, huge, with a concealed drain. I found the towels a bit small and thin, though they are custom made by D. Porthault for SLS/Starck. We could hear others guests through the bathroom vent. The guest directory makes for a fun read, is titled the "SLS Illustrated Dictionary of Services" and includes such listings as " 'Tight Buns'--see personal fitness training" and " 'zzzzz'--see linens, mattress and bedding".

THE RESTAURANTS. Dined Sunday evening at The Bazaar. We had peeked in on Saturday night--the place was teeming with foodies and revelers, the noise deafening. Sunday was much calmer (the NBA finals, which the LA Lakers clinched on this night, probably contributed). All four venues--Rojo, Blanco, Bar Centro and the Patisserie were accessible. There is an outdoor terrace, but it faces the valet drop-off area. Apparently about $22 million was put into The Bazaar alone. I was expecting a molecular gastronomy experience along the lines of Alinea or Moto in Chicago, where a meal is a 3-5 hour, sometimes solemn affair. But The Bazaar is different--tapas (traditional and modern) with some molecular gastronomy elements like liquid nitrogen, trompe l'oeil presentations, specific instructions on how to eat a particular dish correctly. Very theatrical and playful, but serious and delicious. And fast--we were done with the tasting menu, presented in "waves" rather than one dish at a time, in under 2 hours. I was a bit disappointed that the tasting menu was simply dishes off the regular menu yet cost a bit more than if ordered a la carte. The food is much better than it has to be--this place would be popular even without the foodies and four star review, and it meshes so well in atmosphere with the hotel. Apparently, there is a "fine dining" restaurant within the restaurant (it is mentioned on the website) that serves a set tasting menu 3 nights a week. There is an outpost of Moss, the great New York Soho design store, here. Hotel guests also apparently have special access to Nazarian's other restaurants/clubs/lounges.

The other restaurant, Tres, is a quiet retreat, never crowded. The menu was quite similar to the room service menu, with some prices identical as well. Tried the continental breakfast buffet one morning and it was fine, included cheeses, chacuterie and aguas frescas.

THE POOL. Located on the 6th floor. Reminiscent of the pool at the Starck-designed Mondrian Hotel. Quite See and Be Seen on the weekend, with the pools, one no more that a foot deep, secondary to the cabanas, lounge chairs/beds, and restaurant, named Altitude.

The fitness center on the 2nd floor is large and well -equipped. Did not try the adjacent spa. The business center charges for internet use.

Overall a fun, relaxing stay. We were able to walk or bike to all target areas, with the Grove being the furthest (1.2 miles) away. It doesn't seem too business oriented (except probably show business), nor too kid friendly. It is a decent value, especially compared to the luxury hotels in Beverly Hills proper (SLS is one block away from BH), though perhaps not quite as pampering an experience. Would definitely stay here again, and in fact plan to do so.
Kudos to management for reading TA reviews and responding to each individually. This is especially important since a guest comment card is not offered, although I did receive a thank-you email from the hotel afterward, and there was a link for comments.

• Stayed June 2009
Thank you for your very detailed review. This is probably the most thorough and accurate review I have read thus far.

I believe the best way to desribe the SLS Hotel is a "sophisticated, fun" hotel. We are trying to create a new paradigm in the luxury hotel business. We are constantly adjusting and improving our facilities, design, service and amenities to exceed all of our guests expectations.

I am pleasantly challenged by your staement that we do not offer a "pampering experience" as compared to other Beverly Hills hotels. This is where we can improve and we are currently working very hard to accomplish this.

Stay tuned for more great things from SLS Hotel and I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Been to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!