“Starck Decor, Delicious Food, Beautiful Pool, Energized Drinks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills

You added SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills to your Saves list
SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   465 South La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #44 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“Starck Decor, Delicious Food, Beautiful Pool, Energized Drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

SLS Hotel is part of SBE Entertainment (Nightlife specialist, bars, clubs, restaurants, eateries) which was formerly a Le Meridian Hotel, It is a large hotel designed by Starck (designer of the original Mondrian, Morgan, Royalton, Hudson, and Delano Hotels). The design is not typical Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons. SLS is trendy, chic, and very clubbish. The lighting is very nightlife driven and has a club feel.

The hotel has two restaurants which is operated by Jose Andres. Room service food is also from the same kitchens. The food is delicious; that includes room service. You get the same great food at the pool also. The food in the hotel is the most consisent element of the hotel. The restaurants keep the customers coming.

You won't get Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton service here. You will stay here for the well designed sexy rooms, beautiful pool, delicious food, and some A list patrons that frequent the restaurants.

Note: I am frequent customer of SLS and have stayed here over 30 times

Room Tip: Rooms facing on LaCienga Blvd tend to be noisy. Ask for rooms with interior terraces.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me and for this feedback. Being a lifestyle hospitality company, we use the unique distinction our brand to try and connect with guests on many levels.Thank you for choosing SLS Beverly Hills for your accommodation needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Often stay here in LA as the location works a treat for me ( I'm one of the few people that actually want to walk around & I can do it pretty safely in this locale and there is plenty to do & see within a 1-4 mile radius not to mention Jerrys deli opposite the Beverly centre to satisfy the need for some nostalgic eating. Hotel looks great , bazaar & room service very impressive, interiors don't function that well but not enough to bother me except for the lighting! Please improve, I'm tired of shaving in the gym bathrooms so I can see!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
I’m so glad you enjoyed your experience with us! I’ll definitely pass your wonderful compliments on to the rest of the talent! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel with a couple of friends. I have to preface my review with the confession that I'm a relatively conservative guy in my late 30's and I prefer peace and quiet rather than a party atmosphere. My friends and I rented a cabana by the pool and we spent the afternoon trying to relax. Unfortunately for me the pool area seems mostly intended for attractive and wealthy people to show off and try to pick each other up. The music was loud and too hip-hoppy for my taste and I felt like I was at a night club with half naked women serving us drinks.(Didn't mind the last part so much). Our hotel room was immaculate and had a modern art feel to it. It had an unconventional configuration where the wall separating the bathroom and the bedroom could be opened so there is little chance of being able to sleep through your spouse/partner getting up at night to use the bathroom.

The staff was extremely attentive and professional. Everyone was young and attractive and I definitely got the feeling that they are used to catering to high-end clientele.

The club/bar on the ground floor of the hotel was very modern and trendy with good music and a young vibe. (Perhaps a little too young for my age). If the bar or restaurant isn't to your liking the hotel is relatively close to many good restaurants, but not within walking distance for women wearing high heals. It's nothing that a short 5 minute cab ride can't fix. We walked to a sushi restaurant named KOI just one mile north on La Cienega which we enjoyed very much. We passed the Beverly Center on our way there so shopping is nearby as well.

In general I'm glad that I experienced this hotel. If you're looking for a young crowd and want to mingle with wealthy people that are there to show off then this is the place for you. I don't think it's the best place for families or for old, grumpy guys like me. :-) The only reason that I gave this place an average rating is because I thought it was rather expensive considering the room size. But maybe this is the going rate for such a trendy and modern hotel near Beverly Hills.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel experience. In addition, I greatly appreciate your feedback on some of the inconveniences you experience. We take our guests feedback very seriously so thank you again for taking the time to let us know. Please contact me directly if you have any futher comments 310-246-2017. Thank You
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Myself and my family stayed here over Christmas/New Year on and off for about 3 weeks between travels, in total about 9 nights. We had never stayed their before and probably won't again. The overall vibe of the hotel was over done and was extremely pretentious. It seemed as though la's elite fit in perfectly but tourists not so much. I'd say that it is the least tourist friendly hotel in the area. It is a VERY busy hotel especially at night with the locals. At times this was frustrating as service from the valet and restaurant staff lacked incredibly. My main downfall about the hotel was the breakfast experience. Every single morning we were there we would wait for a table to eat at the 'breakfast table' which was a terrible excuse for breakfast- which included a couple of danishes and yoghurt that had gone warm. If you wanted any good food then bills of up to $40 per person would have applied. On my last morning I waited for 40 minutes for a table for two people to eat one danish. The service by all staff at tres was beyond horrible.
During our stay we ordered room service twice and both times it was delicious! No fault there.
The hotel room was fabulous. Very spacious, modern (maybe a little too modern), comfortable bed, lovely view of the terrace but the room was ridiculously dark. Also the bathroom was very dark and had mirrors on every wall, not so great. On my last few nights we stayed in a room with a connecting door to another room and i could hear every conversation and every tv show the room next door watched. And when i complained about this, they simply said 'sorry'. It was such an inconvenience.
One morning at 6am in early january, a fire alarm went off and we all had to evacuate the hotel. The staff handeled the situation well and all was okay. When we returned to our room after standing in the freezing cold for about 30 minutes, we planned on getting back lost sleep before a flight that day so we turned on our privacy button. I was woken up 3 times by a knock on the door by staff in the next 2 hours. I would be appreciated if your staff learnt the meaning of privacy. Thankyou.
The pool area was absolutely stunning! Would have been amazing to use one of the private huts during summer.
Our favourite thing about the hotel was the location. It is just down the road from the beverly centre, 3rd street and the grove. Which shoppers like us could appreciate. And when things were just out of walking distance we used the hotel car to get anywhere we needed. Jose and Frank were amazing to us when driving us around constantly and recommending places to go. They were defintely our favourite staff members.
Overall, our stay had its ups and downs but there is no doubt that it is a beautifully fernished hotel in a good location. The price was standard for any hotel in the area so it is reasonable. The rooms were great but service not so much. Our young daughters may stay their again but as a family, probably not.

• Stayed January 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. However, it is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your experienced with us.

If you would like to further discuss the details of your stay, please contact me directly at sls.beverlyhills@luxurcollection.com.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were going on a girls' trip to LA to visit friends and 2 of the 3 had never been to LA (I used to live there), so I wanted to stay central, easy to get to Venice/Santa Monica and easy to get to Hollywood, as we had friends to visit both ways. So the SLS was perfect, location wise. The stay was excellent, the staff was extremely friendly, the hotel is gorgeous, the service is really just perfect. Not over the top, but courteous, kind, and efficient. The hotel is connected to a really fun bar and restaurant (and delicious), so there are tons of people there not staying in the hotel, also, but not in your lobby. It's very modern and chic.

The only complaint I had, and we all had, is the lighting, mirrors, and bathrooms. I likely would not stay here again because of those. The mirrors are those darkened mirrors, so you cannot get a real look at yourself, which makes it impossible, as a female, to get ready. There was one well-lit mirror in the bathroom, behind the wide sink, so we fought over that, and we were still 4 feet away from the mirror, so you could not see anything. The lighting is really bad in the room, so even if you have a mini-compact to do your makeup with, you could barely see. Overall, that was extremely frustrating and annoying. It is such a basic thing women do everyday, sometimes 2x (day, night), and to not be able to do your hair and makeup was ridiculous. There were not enough outlets either. What little lights there were had to be unplugged when possible to use the outlets for charging your phones. Nevermind hair dryers and straightners, ipads and kindles.

The only other thing that happened, and the hotel handled this really well, was that we had a room with a connecting door to another room. Unlike most hotels where those seem to be double doors (one on our side, one on the other), this looked like it was just on our side. We could see light between the rooms and hear *everything* that happened to our newest friends on the other side. I had to pull a grandma and call and ask the front desk to please do something about the 4 bros on the other side partying from 330 AM to 830 AM one thin door away from us...which was embarrassing, since we are not old. But we never heard a peep out of that room again.

Room Tip: I would try and ask for a room that does not have a connecting door, unless you know the people on t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for the great positive comments you provided regarding your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced during your stay and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future. Until we speak again...Savor Life Slowly!!!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the SLS for 3 nights while visiting some friends in the LA area. Check in was quick and painless and the desk agent made sure I was okay with my room assignment, even pulling out a map of the hotel to show me where my room was located. The room was large and very comfortable. Some reviewers have commented on the decor being confusing or not practical, but I personally really enjoyed the various ornaments and furniture in the room. I especially liked the bathroom which was large and full of mirrors with stone floors. The shower was enormous and also featured mirrors on all sides with a slate stone floor. It was also nice that if I left the hotel more than once in a given day, my room would be cleaned in the morning and turned down again at night before I went to bed. The extra touch of service was much appreciated.

One negative about the SLS is that parking at this hotel is not the most convenient as they have no parking lot that isn't valet. Also, the complimentary transportation always involved a 40 minute wait when I requested a ride. My last night I had dinner at The Bazaar and I asked the valet to call my group a taxi since the complimentary transportation was tied up. Though they called immediately, no one was managing the line of people also waiting for taxis so we ended up standing there while rude and inebriated groups leaving the Bazaar would walk right up and get into cabs I'm sure were for those of us in line as there was no enforcement or organization provided by the hotel.

I had booked the room using SPG points and the lowest rate for my stay would have been over $300 per night. Although the stay good, the minor hiccups would have really upset me had I paid the full rate for those nights. That being said, if I was was in the area again and could find a decent award redemption I would probably stay at this hotel again and make sure I have my transportation plans firmed up ahead of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are extremely pleased that you experience exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire hotel staff as I know your comments will inspire us to continue to work hard at delighting our guests.

On behalf of all of us here, thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Pros:
Rooms: Hip, trendy, modern; very cool TV which is hidden in a wall that is entirely a smoky mirror, furniture, bathroom. Every feature and surface, from the lighting to the headboard to the seating to the bed linens, and more, is upgraded, stylish and interesting.
Amazing food: very unusual - a lot of air and fluff. The egg white omlettes for breakfast was like a souflee. The ingredients are amazingly fresh, pairings are unusual.
Fitness room: top notch. Large, light, excellent equipment, some unusual but worthwhile machines, such as an entire kinesis system
Service: really good and personal. A fire alarm went off at 6 AM, piercing noise for about 10 minutes. Naturally, many unhappy guests, with one dramatic lady crying that her week long vacation that she had been saving up for a year was ruined as a consequence. Staff handled complaints with aplomb, and front desk was empowered to offer some rebates. 9 out of the 10 people we dealt with were excellent.
Rooftop pool is beautiful, but you can't swim laps -- it's divided in two, so both squares are too small.
Cons:
Location -- on the Beverly Hills fringe border, not nice area to walk around in, or jog, or shop or eat. But the good area is a few minutes drive away, which is what one does in LA anyway
Rooms: not enough light to see your clothes in the closet or read at night. Many of the rooms face an interior courtyard, which is nice and quiet, but limited natural light as well. Actually hard to get dressed. Easier to get undressed.
Bathroom: Great shower head is over a cool eggshell bathtub, but controls are far away -- you can't stand under the water and adjust the temperature. Also, prone to mild floods.
No lobby: it's outside at the parking area, with no smoking signs that are ignored and not enforced. Inside is the restaurant and eating lounge. Staff is instructed not to let anyone sit in the lounge if you are not ordering. We were looking for someplace to sit while waiting for friends, and had no where to go - it was too cold to sit outside. This was at 7 AM, the lounge was empty, and we still complained to the hostess at the lounge - but she said she was not allowed to let us sit there for a few minutes, even after we offered to leave if it got crowded and someone needed our couch.
Restaurant:: hip, unusual food can have it's downside if you are looking for the standard fare and don't want to sit on funky couches, or be told to move from one table to another when it's time to change courses.

Bottom line: if you are looking for something unusual, out of the ordinary yet recognizable, and high end, consider this. We loved it and will go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!