“Whimsy over Function” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills

You added SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills to your Saves list
SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   465 South La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Atlanta, Georgia
“Whimsy over Function”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I want to love this hotel – it’s located in Beverly Hills, there’s great attention to design, there are beautiful people walking around and the staff is gracious and friendly. But I do not love it because although the design is theatrical and memorable, its whimsy takes precedence over functionality. I’m a platinum SPG and was upgraded to a 2nd floor room with a balcony (I believe balconies are only available on the second floor rooms) and my room was comfortable and interesting. The lighting in the room is fabulous for ambiance with so many lights to choose from and all with dimmer functionality (although never bright), but try getting ready and evaluating how you look in smoked glass and low light. The furniture is awesome and I loved the bed positioned in the middle of the room with the desk behind it, but how do you plug in your iPad or phone so that you can use it bed? I had to drape the cord over the back of the bed into the side of the desk and then it was too short to keep my iPad charged in bed. The desk chair is comfortable if you don’t have ambition to move around or lean back – it doesn’t move without picking it up and carrying the chair to its new position. The closet doors are attractive, but the closet lacks a luggage rack to set your suitcase on within the closet and be aware when you open the liquor cabinet next to the closet – the hinged door will slam down on you without warning. The ironing board has a lovely birdcage image on its cover, however try ironing a shirt on it – it’s the dorm-sized version you never used in college and works even worse in this room because the only place to set it on is the desk and then the board slides all over. Would it have been too much to provide a standard ironing board? With all of this complaining you’d think I have issues with the bathroom as others have pointed out. I don’t. I actually liked the stone and mirrors in the bathroom and thought the shower was very nice. I especially appreciated all of the shelves near the sink to set toiletries. As for the pool, I like when designers take risks, but the Alice in Wonderland meets urban garage sale didn’t so much as create an oasis as it made me feel like I was intruding on an outdoor mirror and frame sale. I still don’t know what the purpose was for the pool with 6” of water that monopolized half the deck space. I found the pool service to be exceptional (I believe her name was Stephani) but the food was bland and the pool area overall is quite congested and unattractive. The gym was great, but the ceiling is pretty low in the weight machine area and like the rest of the property felt a little cavernous. I’m not, not recommending this hotel – really the entire staff was wonderful from Valet to Concierge to front desk to pool and I really did enjoy the frivolity of the aesthetics. I even liked lounging in the room and sitting out on my patio. I just don’t think I’d choose it again when there are other options in Beverly Hills/Century City/WeHo that could provide a little more functionality in the room and comfort at the pool with or without the whimsy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent comments regarding your visit to SLS Hotel! I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay. I'm also pleased to share that we are installing a new lighting program in all of our 297 guestrooms, which will better provide ample lighting to our guests. In addition, your feedback regarding our ironing boards is helpful, please do note that we have full sized ironing boards available upon request. As a Luxury Collection hotel your requests and commentary are taken very seriously, and we hope to have improved some of the functionality concerns you had this past stay on your next visit. Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

What a beautiful hotel! i didn't actually stay in the hotel (but the rooms are fantastic and I will absolutely put visiting clients into this hotel). A number of my colleagues and I now use this as a place to meet convivially with colleagues or out of town friends and business associates. The staff could not possibly have been nicer. There are numerous areas to meet - one with cozy couches and fireplaces, another in a high tech section, another with private cushy comfortable chairs and couches - and everywhere electric outlets to plug in ones computers. There are both wonderful tasty snacks and divine food. And the food service director is this amazing woman, French i believe, who could even talk to us about wines and history and Europe. A delight! It's in Beverly Hills yet a few blocks away from the mad traffic. A veritable friendly elegant oasis in the midst of a busy city. Love it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues, friends and family on a regular basis!!
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

SLS...a very hip happening hotel. The restaurant is Jose Andres The Bazaar, very hip place. Our hotel room was very comfortable. Good location in the Miracle Mile area, near Beverly Center (nice shopping mall), 3rd Street (boutique shopping and good restaurants) and lots of restaurants on La Cienega.
The Cons...Far from LAX. They do charge for internet unless you are a platinum SPG member. They also charged $35 a day to park your car which you have not choice since street parking is by permit. My husband did complain about the bath towels, he thought they were flimsy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed the Culinary Direction of Jose Andres. We are very fortunate to have his direction on all Food & Beverage programming throughout the entire hotel! I do apologize for anything misleading regarding our distance from LAX. Please feel free to inquire with our concierge on your next visit to best assist with arrangements to suit your needs. In addition, thank you for your commentary regarding the towels. I will certainly revert back to our management team to consider for the future. We hope to welcome you back to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!!
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I did read many of the reviews, so I was prepared for dim lighting and dust, etc. but really, all in all, the SLS rooms (we had 2) were spotless and the lighting was fine. Maybe the lighting had been changed recently as the manager's response in prior reviews indicated, I don't know. We opened the curtains and the lighting was fine for our purposes (computer, reading, etc.). The standout here is the staff! Seriously, we have never had such lovely and wonderful staff at any hotel anywhere. We were only there for 2 days, but each time we came in, we were greeted as if we were friends and warmly welcomed back by more than one staff person. I would like to mention several staff members that went above and beyond...from Tres Restaurant, there was Mallory, Lacey, Lauren and Rachel. I did partake of the great free coffee in the mornings and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I could take box of the buffet breakfast up to our room, which was super convenient. The staff was happy to get the box and pack up some awesome Greek yogurt for my kids (yes, I had kids there...they loved it). At the front desk, Aaron was just so sweet and friendly and helpful and Bobby the bellman was super at showing us around for our first time in the hotel. The best example of employee awesomeness had to be Gerald...who, when I asked for a trash bin for our almost finished Frappuccinos, smiled and warmly took them from me, gross napkins and all, took them from me. He could not have been nicer about it and I was not expecting THAT kind of service. The apples in the lobby were also a great touch and we loved them! The only problem that we had was an issue with the AC in RM 323. I did report it and they did work on it several times, but it was not a huge deal, since we simply opened the window to get cool air. I loved the full size shampoos and lotions...that's a great touch. We will be back, for sure.

Room Tip: I'd like to try a terrace room next time.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on our service excellence and so pleased to hear of your lovely notes regarding our ambassadors. Thank you for noting the AC concerns, we will ensure our Engineering Team properly investigates this issue. We look forward to having you back in the near future!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Birthday special occasion was perfected by the awesome staff at the SLS Beverly Hills. SAAM and The Baazar by Jose Andres made this a memorable and inspiring experience

Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

Once you get over the fun decor and ambiance, you start noticing the inadequacies in over all services and your basic amenities.

1- room lighting terrible. Super dark, suitable for weekend stay and not a day longer.. The darkeness in the rooms and especially in the bathrooms starts to weigh on you. Especially for ladies,it's super hard to apply make up. Had to requests for 2 extra floor lamps.

2- Rooms & bathrooms were dusty. I understand since decor incorporates Alot of mirror surfaces, so it easily shows dust, however cleaning staff need to be more thorough.
On one occasion a housekeeping staff member left a dirty cleaning rag on the sink. And another time we found the shower tile that had the drain hole under over turned and left there!

3-lack of coffee machine or counter area to prepare coffee or tea when house keeping provided a water kettle.

4-when I asked room service to clear mini bar for me ( as I don't drink and I need the space for my medication they wanted to charge me 25$!!) I have asked 5star hotel all over the world to clear my mini bar and never was I charged for it!

5-finally worse of all was the check out process. The staff were confused and unorganized and this led to our card being charged twice for the amenities of our stay! We had already paid in full for our 9 day stay prior to checking in, so we expected checking out to be streamlined and simple. That wasn't the case, my husband had to speak To the billing department to solve issue and have our card reimbursed.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you so much for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I’m so sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience during your recent stay. Please note, we are in the process of installing a new lighting program to all of our 297 guestrooms which should be complete in the coming months. Your experience with housekeeping is unacceptable, and I can assure you this will be handled in an appropriate fashion to ensure this does not happen in the future. In regards to our coffee service, please do note for your next visit that we offer complimentary coffee in our Tres Restaurant beginning at 7am. I appreciate your commentary regarding our mini bar policies and will most certainly revert them to our management team for future consideration. I do hope any billing concerns have been addressed, and would be happy to speak to you further about any concerns that remain. Please do not hesitate to email us at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com so we can best discuss any additional questions or concerns you may have. Again, I’m so sorry for the inconveniences that have taken place and hope that you will consider another visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills in the near future.
Kapolei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

In my last review i refered to the hotel as a W for adults and while true it is so much more. The best food and i have to say some of the best staff i have ever encountered.

Room Tip: No bad rooms but SLS suites are sweet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Been to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!