“Really a Motel 6 or 8. Overpriced, Old and terrible service and they keep your credit card information.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Canoga Hotel

You added The Canoga Hotel to your Saves list
The Canoga Hotel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   7126 De Soto Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 91303 (Formerly Ramada Canoga Park) (South San Fernando Valley)   |
Ranked #139 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Monterey, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015

I booked this place at the last minute while at the Airport. I was coming in on a late flight and needed a place to stay that was away from LAX and towards my home so I would have an early start the next day without having to deal with morning traffic. The pictures and reviews were really good. I arrived to find a smelly front lobby. Althought i paid for my stay through a booking service, the attendant asked for a credit card in case there were any expenses. This is pretty standard so i provided my card and he used one of those old presses to imprint my credit card info on a carbon sheet. He had me sign the form.
I walked to my room and the upstairs walkway is extremely noisy and it moves when you walk on it. It seemed very week and it appeared as if it had wood rot. My room was the last one in the corner next to the service room. The next morning, there was a gaggle of woman yelling and talking really loud outside my window. There is some kind of park behind the hotel and it is really noisy and one of the homes has about five dogs that bark really loud.

When I checke out, the young lady refused to give me the sheet they had imprinted with my credit card information. I told her even the hotels in Mexico where I had just been in Mexico provided the credit card sheets to me upon check out. I purposely use a booking service so that my credit card information is not in soo many places. This is how identity theft occurrs. She refused my repeated requests for her to provide the card information to me. Now I had to but an alert on my credit card because this young lady and whoever else works there has my information and complete card numbers.

This is really a bad practice. Avoid this place, its in a bad area of the city and you don't get that information from the booking websites.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the furthest rooms to the back. The hotel is next to a neighborhood with barking...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Laval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

The place is not bad if you have to stay one night it's very basic.I think the breakfast could be better even if you don't want to serve hot things,you could had croissants,bagels or yogourt.The personnel at the office was rude when we tell her that tv.cable is not working.Next morning I ask her if some came check the tv, she told me that every thing was ok like it's us that doesn't no how it works,we went in the room and the tv steel not working after we discover that almost every room is not working.What's boadering me isn't that the cable was't working it could happen in any place but the way they speak with us.

Room Tip: Not quite has the reviews.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

First, you get what you pay for. At $85 for a Monday night, it was half as much as others in the area. But there are solid reasons for that:

Cons:
Terrible location. NOT a good neighborhood. The locals walking the very trafficky, very low-end streets were actually not any less unsavory than my fellow guests at this place. Lots of shady characters coming in and out of the rooms. Slightly freaky. My husband and I stocked up on food and a bottle of wine and barricaded ourselves in the room, triple locking.

The gal at the front desk could not have been less friendly. She didnt even look up when we came in, just mumbled "credit card and ID." Something in her computer wasnt working right, and "Dammit" was her command of choice. I'd originally planned on asking her for a restaurant recommendation, but decided she'd probably try to shank me for asking her to, you know, work.

Room was cramped and half-hearted, tv is flatscreen but small.

The lighting was wretched, unless you look good in hospital green. Come on guys, a little effort here?

Pros:
The bed was SUPER comfortable! Huge shocker. Not a spring to be felt, so well done there.

be sure to ask for a room at the back of the property - nice and quiet. The hallway floors are extremely rickety and echoing, so ask for one at the end of hallway.

Reasonably clean, slightly scared of the blanket.

Refrigerator and microwave in room.

Overall, functional for a basic place to sleep if you must. If you can afford twice the price, definitely go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Back of property, upstairs, away from stairwells.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night for work and was under impressed.
We found it on internet which showed beautiful modern rooms with grey theme... the actual room was gaudy and tired.
The door lock bolt had been broken off so i had to secure by leaning desk chair against it.
Hallways were exterior and right on top of parking. Good in a way because car near by.
Room was so old i decided not to brave the shower and got dressed and ready for work at my gym down the road.
Would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2014
arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

How did this hotel get high ratings? We are at a loss for the answer. We stayed in the 'king suite' and were not impressed. The furnishings may have been upgraded but underneath them all it's a renovated motel. Small television with no HD channels, toiletries in tear-open packets, and a low-quality breakfast in a cramped room. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you stay here, get a room at the back of the property.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

I chose this hotel based on overwhelminingly positive reviews from Trip Advisor, and the reviews were true to their words. Built in a motel style architecture, the 2-star official rating belies what the facility and service has to offer, which is 3 star accommodations. The room was spic and span, complete with a microwave and fridge that even most hotels fail to provide. I had 2 very comfortable queen size beds, while the rest of the room was very well-furnished. Housekeeping is every morning and they provide plentiful towels and facecloths. Parking is plentiful and looks to be enough for all.

Free breakfast runs from 07:30-09:30 and you can make your own waffles. It's a small room with very few seating so arrive early if you really want a hearty sit-down breakfast. This room is so small that it cannot accommodate more than 6 people at a time. Families are better off eating elsewhere.

Now for the bads. Bads, not beds.

I docked off "cleanliness" points for finding rogue strands of blonde hair on the bed. Also, the washroom needs remodeling (it is serviceable only, no points for aesthetics).

Location is a downside as it is far from all major LA attractions, as a 40 minute drive (on average, with some traffic) is needed to get anywhere worth taking photos of.

I chose this hotel based on a compromise for location to get a reasonable price for a nice room and it is exactly what I got, so yes, I would stay again.

Room Tip: Be conversational with the front desk: they are nice and are probably bored but are very helpful if...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

After being so tired from being stuck in traffic for hours, its nice to come to the hotel and see a happy and friendly face. Carla was just beyond helpful and friendly.... I had a room with a hot tub so that made my night even better, the beds are very comfortable and the continental breakfast was just perfect to get my day started. I had a neighbor who was a little on the loud side but I called down to let the front desk know and he immediately took care of it, I will definitely be staying here again when i'm in the area again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Canoga Hotel? Share your experiences!