“Loved it. Will stay again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Universal Hotel

You added Sheraton Universal Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Universal Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles, CA 91608 (Universal City Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #119 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Loved it. Will stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This was mine and my families first time staying at the Sheraton Universal.
Locality to Universal Studios and Hollywood Blvd was great. Train station is at the bottom of the hill and one train stop into Hollywood.
We booked this hotel through Hotwire, got the room at a great price and was treated as a preferred guest on arrival.
We stayed on the 18th floor, with a view overlooking the pool and the Hills.
Cannot complain about the service we received.
Will definately stay here again.

Stayed September 2013
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest , no matter how you book your reservation we do treat all guests as preferred very valued guests! We pride ourselves on excellent service and I am so glad that you and yours had a chance to experience that for yourselves. We thank you for your insights and hope that your travels bring you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Clovis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent. Accommodations exactly as requested in January booking for September trip unlike Sheraton Anaheim/Disneyland which got everything wrong, made no attempt to correct despite reservations made 9 mos in advanced and confirmed and not even courteous or apologetic and unlike Sheraton San Diego Harbor Island which also got everything wrong but was courteous and corrected their errors.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest , we are glad that your experience was great and we could be part of some very fond family memory’s for you! We understand that traveling can be difficult and we will always do what we can to make the experience as smooth as possible. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and hope you keep us in mind for your next family vacation
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This review had more good than bad in it.... but I must say that I cannot understand the demographics in this property.

When downstairs -- I could only see under 30's scantily dresses kids heading out on the town or home in hip-hop fashion ---- or otherwise in T-shirts.... I had thought this to be a Family oriented place given the Universal Studios tours but I didn't any even one family with children the entire time..... rather -- it appeared to be a launching point for the LA dance club scene....

Our check-in was smooth. Early check-in offered. The check in agent quite nice. The room was satisfactory but the age of the bed duly noted.... The halls were relatively quiet as well.

The frustration began on return to the property at around 11 at night. I park the car and look around for the valet as I already had valet tags on the car from earlier. WHERE IS THE VALET? Is it busy? Only people leaving---- the ONE GUY IN VALET UNIFORM IS ON HIS TELEPHONE TEXTING--- so he must NOT BE A VALET. So I wait... and I wait.. and I wait... and finally I walk over and say.. WHERE IS THE VALET TO MR. SMS and HE SAYS THAT HE IS THE VALET..

Apparently leaving guests waiting 10 minutes while you text is the standard of care here...... My initial concerns with the valet would be made more clear the next day on check-out....

The next morning - I call the valet number to checkout... Ring Ring Ring...... keep on ringing.. still not answer.... finally overflow to Guest Services -- -Hello Guest Services -- Yes I need the valet and it overflow--------- ring ring ring --- WHILE I WAS SPEAKING having heard VALET a blind cross-transfer back to the VALET LINE....... theoretically this could have persisted in looping fashion indefinitely since one is not listened to and blindly transferred while speaking.... EXTREMELY RUDE CONDUCT.

Making it to the front DESK... ...... The person in front of me dressed with pants falling off and exposed underwear - in his white t-shirt speaking in some horrific butchery of the English language to the check-out staff -- would continue asking nonsensical questions that just caused delay after delay... The front desk staff seemed content to continue the ridiculous chit-chat until I was already frustrated by the time I made it to the front..

At this point- I told him about the Valet Issues and Phone Issue and he said --- He cannot do anything but he could get a manager. I was late and said only if the manager was available now.

OUT COMES THE UN-MANAGER - A person with ZERO PEOPLE SKILLS who has no business in the hospitality industry. This individual speaks to me without looking at me. His head is down while he speaks. I inject and tell him its rude not to look at people when he addresses them.. He apologizes but remains testy and irritable as thought this matter has kept him from him nap..... After so many ENTIRE YEARS of equivalent days in HOTELS -- Its easy to see who has no business in the hospitality industry-- and this shift manager was one such person.

Offering NOTHING beyond an empty apology.. and seemingly disinterested in documenting any concerns-- he offered a waiver of the valet charges..... although no receipt of same -- so I will have to see the credit card to verify.

As I walk outside to leave-- already irritated --- I see NO VALETS. Where are they. The car is unlocked but no keys. I load it myself.. I wait.. I wait.. I wait... still no valets.... How can there be ZERO VISIBLE VALET staff for so long.... I walk to the VALET CASHIER and low and behold the only VALET is just hiding in the cashier spot----- I take my keys and I go.... NOTICING THE COMPLETE DISASTER THAT IS THE VALET ON DEPARTURE.

20 plus parties seemingly waiting for cars.. people everywhere.. cars everywhere... giant mess.... no doubt a result of insufficient staffing.

It seems that this trip--- I am having a knack of finding poorly managed properties.... and that a new generation of managers lacking in proper people skills are filling ranks in which they have no business having been placed------

I can only imagine how much worse this will be in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest, it is certainly disheartening that your experience was marred by the lapse in service. We certainly could have done better and your comments are noted to be reviewed with the managers involved. We are certainly surprised by your review as we normally get glowing comments on our team , we hope that you consider your experience was an exception, not the rule. It would be our pleasure to help regain your confidence on another visit. If your travels bring you back this way please keep me as your contact. Thank you again for your time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was absolutely fabulous. The location was brilliant it was very close to universal studios and the universal city walk. We stayed in a club room on the 9th floor. The breakfast was a nice touch to keep you through the day. There was a free shuttle bus to the studios which was a nice touch. The staff were very helpful and friendly too. I will deftly be coming back soon.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest , we are very happy that your visit was a success. The Club Lounge is indeed a great place to relax and enjoy morning breakfast or evening appetizers. Our chef takes great care in the handling of the dishes. Please keep us in mind for future visits. It would be great to be of service again soon.
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just finished a two night stay on business in room 1926. Jayson (at check in) was the best part of the stay! He was very nice, explained the hotel thoroughly, and called to make sure everything in the room was fine a few minutes after I checked in. The hotel is tired to say the least. The hot and cold water fixtures in the sink and shower stick and are hard to adjust. The hotel is dog friendly - which I like, but the puppy next door cried a lot while the family was a way. The buckled carpet on the 19th floor is definitely a hazard - as some one could easily fall and trip. I do like the green program which gives you $5.00 off or 500 SPG points if you do not have the room serviced. Main convenience is that it is located across the street from Universal Studios Hollywood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I would like to send my apologies for the the issues you mentioned in you survey. Your feedback is certainly appreciated and noted . The managers involved will use your comments for future considerations. Thank you also for mentioning the agent who assisted you upon arrival, he will certainly be recognized. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service again soon, to show our true interest in you as our valued guest.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Paying this kind of money for a room I expect a bathroom that's bigger than the closet. The first night we were there the sheets on the bed weren't even long enough to tuck in. It was as if they put queen sheets on a king bed. The furniture was showing signs of wear. They could at least have maintenance go around and ouch up Knicks. I will say its convenient to the park which I guess is why it's outrageously priced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your time and your comments. They are invaluable and are shared with the housekeeping team, as we could have done better. We do hope that you will consider us for your future visits, and please feel free to keep me as your contact if you return.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at Sheraton Universal Hotel with the wife during a conference. This place is really nice. I was able to walk to Universal Studios for a tour and after the conference, take a short drive down Ventura Blvd to discover some of the best sushi I've had in a while.

Here is a video of the room. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtZxVlDNlQ

We stayed on the 4th of July and from the room was able,to see 4 or 5 fireworks shows from our window. Very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, great sushi , great hotel and location is a recipe for fun! We are glad that you had a successful visit and hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
4.0 of 5 stars 1,928 reviews
Tangerine Hotel
#1 of 19 in Burbank
4.5 of 5 stars 475 reviews

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!