“Walk to Universal Studios” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Universal Hotel

You added Sheraton Universal Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Universal Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles, CA 91608 (Universal City Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #98 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Indio, California
“Walk to Universal Studios”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel was convenient to all the areas that we were going to see. We started at Universal Studios and easily traveled to Hollywood and Highland. From there to The Grove for a visit to American Girl for lunch with my grand daughter's doll and a live filming of Extra. Our room was spacious and clean. We got breakfast room service. They had forgotten to put it on the request, and our server went to get it immediately at no charge. Very nice service from all and we had fun drinking at the bar with a tv actor that was recording a tv show at Universal studio.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Go elsewhere!!!!! I can't believe this place is a Sheraton. I have stayed at Howard Johnson/Motel 6 hotels that are in better shape. They charge well over $250/night, what rubbish. There was a moldy smell all over the hallways while going to he rooms as well as the rooms themselves. The pool was more like a pond for the surrounding wild life. The front desk staff was rude and horrible. I mean these guys are making horrible faces to express their disdain for the guests. And the tone they use is not only rude but condescending. The only reason one should stay here is because of its location, its right next to Universal Studios and the City Walk. But even then, the location does not make up for all the other flaws.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Universal for 5 days in March and unfortunately the experience was average at best. On the first night I was moved rooms 3 times due to cleanliness issues (and rooms smelling of smoke) to internet connectivity issues. Finally I was provided the following day with an upgraded room which was nice, however the internet issues prevailed and the size of the bathroom was still small.

The hotel is pretty old, regardless of any facelift. The rooms look lived in, stained carpets, torn headboards etc so expect that when you stay there. The staff themselves were pretty good and did the best they could with what they were working with.

I had friends who stayed at the Hilton Universal and I'd stay there over the Sheraton any day. The rooms are larger, bathrooms are larger, seems "slightly" better quality.

I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Concord, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I got my room from Priceline. We arrived after 10:00 pm and there was quite a few people in line. I think the guest in front of me was having trouble with the temperature in his room so the front desk guy told him he was going to take care of it so he left. Finally it was my turn, the front desk guy was multitasking calling maintenance and trying to check me in. I was trying to ask him some questions but couldn't since he was still on the phone. He finally gave me my keys and I asked him if I have a room with 2 beds but he said they are pretty full and since I booked with Priceline I was booked into a king room. I told him I have 4 people but he said he can't do anything about it. I asked him if there is a pull out couch and he said no. I asked him if I can have 2 roller away beds but he said no because that would be a fire hazard. He said he can only give me one.

We drove into the garage ($18/night) and it was pretty full. Finally found a space near the top. There was a guy sitting in his car next to us. It was kinda creepy. Didn't want to park there but there was no other space.

Finally got to our room. The room was on the small side. Usually the room that has a king has a pull out couch but not this one. We waited awhile before the cot came. It barely fit between the bed and the window.

We finally went into the bathroom to wash up and noticed that they only gave us 2 bath towels and nothing else, no hand towels or face towels. We called again to request more towels (bath, hand and face). It took a long time so we had to called again. Finally they brought bath towels. My husband told him that we needed hand and face towels also so he left to get them. He came back right away the second time.

The next morning we went to Universal. There was a shuttle that started running at 9:00 am but since we wanted to get there before 9:00 am we walked to Universal instead. We took an elevator up the hill and walked across the street to get there. It was a nice walk.

I don't know if I want to stay here again. I think I will try the Hiltin the next time I come back.

• Stayed April 2013
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We arrived late at night,tired and hungry and were disappointed to find that the hotel stopped serving food at 10pm and no room service available (it was explained that demand v expense of keeping a chef was not worth it). However, the night manager was so helpful and friendly that it wasn't a problem. The hotel provide a list of take-away places that deliver and hold the menus for that all important decision. Our room was on 19th floor and had floor to ceiling window across the whole wall and consequently views were stunning. The room was large and clean with nice touch of winged arm chair, stool and table, perfect for looking at the view. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever had the privilege of sleeping on, with marshmallow pillows and silky, scrumptious quilt to finish the experience (where can you get these?). The concierge service was excellent and couldn't do enough for you, as were the doormen. The pool area was very peaceful and clean, but it must be said that the outside bar wasn't open which would make a difference. We were advised that the heating in the pool wasn't working at that time but we were welcome to use the facilities at the Hilton. The restaurant was nice and bright and overlooked the pool area and as we had buffet breakfasts included in our package found there to be a lovely selection each morning. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Having been out most days (we stayed for 5 nights) we found it easy to walk across to Universal City Walk and eat there as the we so many choices. Worth asking the Concierge for any vouchers or specials on offer. During the day it was easy (especially as we were shown short cuts which cut off the steep hills) to pick up the Metro to most places we wanted to visit. (Actually, just read review from MarkSEA. Not sure that he stayed at this hotel!!! Never saw any dogs and never heard anything. There were 4 events including 2 late nighters during our stay. 2 conferences on the same day made things a little busy but never an issue. Sorry Mark). Thanks to all who made our stay so great.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool are on lower floors (2 & 3 I think) and have balconies but no views. Room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 2 days after being in Vegas before Heading to Maui, Hawaii. The rooms were modern. Staff were really helpful. We hadn't arranged tickets for Universal, which they did for us. Great having a bus that collected you from the hotel to take you up the steep hill. They also spent time advising us where and how to get to the all the top sights. Great breakfast in the morning! Overall- great stay!

• Stayed October 2012
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Pros and cons (in order of importance @ this hotel:

Location:
Pros: location was very close to universal studios. Cons: hilton was closer.

Room:
Pros: we had a refurbished room that was modern. Cons: rooms are a bit small. Recommend you spend the extra buck and get a suite.

Customer service: Awesome!!!!! Cons: nothing.

Food: fresh and good! Cons: tasteless (bland)

Pool: Pros: There was water in the pool.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!