“Update on November 2011 and pre-empt of this year ! (02/11)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Universal Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Universal Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Universal Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles, CA 91608 (Universal City Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #91 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Essex
“Update on November 2011 and pre-empt of this year ! (02/11)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just a quick update on our review for November 2011, having been in contact with the Manager (Randy) he has promised to make sure we will be OK next time, which will be Feb 2013! Will keep you to this Randy, I see in one of the replies he says it is a 'secure' car park, sadly not 'that' secure, on our last visit, our rental car had the number plate (licence plate) bent upwards by 90 degrees, not much, but annoying all the same, but we did not mention it, when we took it back, the rental co, did ask, but we said we knew nithing about it, and must have been in a supermarket!
Hoping for a really nice room next time (Randy !!!) nive and high with a good view, this Hotel can't be that bad, although we have had 'issues' this will be our 5th or 6th stay with them :-) Further update Feb 2013: well we will be arriving at the Sheraton at about 1900/2000 after a long flight from the UK, bit concerned about reviews that say you need to book in at 1500 to get a good room! Maybe that is why we have been unlucky before? Randy the Manager has moved on, I think to NYC, Daniel is now in charge I think :-) maybe he will give us a CLUB ROOM tomorrow (Mon 11th) ? we have stayed here for some 6 years, always been good, but there has always been a bit of a downer at some point... waking up at 3am with hoards of ants walking over you!, another time after an 'event' shouting in the corridor at 1am and the corridor stinking of alchohol! and a noisy rooms (mechanical noise?) having said that, the staff are very nice and helpful, I understand it is being refurbed, but on our last visit the room did look 'tired' and no fridge either! so the SHERATON have promised to 'make it up to us' on this trip, on previous trips, they have forgotten, and I did not mention it at the time....there should be notes on the booking info that staff have :-) I do appreciate the facilty whereby you can have items delivered to the Hotel and they keep it, my wife being disabled cannot travel to the USA, but likes to buy on line as though she was there :-) The walk to Citywalk will do you good :-) as will the walk back from the Metro Stn.....UPHILL ! :-) Looking forward to a good 2 week stay at the 'Universal'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your past stays and your expectations for your current stay. Guest feedback and expectations are very helpful in ensuring that you have a remarkable stay while here as our guest. After speaking with the Front Desk, everything seems to have gone very smoothly with your check-in to your club level room. In regards to your past stay you mention there not being a refrigerator available; I would like to note that refrigerators can be requested through the hotel and we would be delighted to deliver one should you so request. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly should you require any further assistance whether on this stay or the next. The General Manager is Greg Clarke and he would be happy to connect with you. Thank you again and we trust that you will enjoy your stay at the Sheraton Universal.

845 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Colchester UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well, although we have had some 'issues' with the Sheraton Universal over the years, we have been staying there for 5 or 6 years, so they must be doing something right :-) We are going again (11th Feb), looking forward to it, we do love their room service, maybe not the biggest, or cheapest meals, but very tasty, and prompt too!
They have promised to sort out our previous problems on this trip, so will see if they do :-) somehow on our other trips, they seem to have forgotten :-) I have to say based on our last trip (Nov 2011) the staff are very friendly and helpful, the lobby looks magnificent, have to agree on the 'tired' rooms though, although I understand the Hotel was being refurbed a couple of years ago, assumed this was rooms too ? EXCELLENT for Univerrsal & City Walk, and 5 mins walk TO the Metro, more like 15 on the way back.........................steep hill! also very handy for the Freeway 101 (Feeeway or Slo-ways in LA?)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's always nice to receive solid service on your travels. The reassurance of familiarity works wonders when far from home. Everybody we encountered was super friendly and well versed in the hospitality business. Location was great and the valet super fast. You could be on the 101 within five minutes of leaving the room and down on Sunset in another five, except in rush hour. Food was OK and service professional. While the hotel has done a good job renovating public spaces, the rooms are in dire need of revamping. Housekeeping was great but not miracle workers. They couldn't turn an old room into a new one. I think it's time to go at it one floor at a time.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've never been so thankful for free shuttle service until I stayed at this hotel. On a rare rainy weekend in Los Angeles, I stayed at this property to go to Universal Studios and a No Doubt Concert. The location was great, the service was great, and my overall stay was, well...great! My only complaint is that the 'queen' beds looked and felt more like 'full' beds, but otherwise my friends and I were happy campers. Even with a holiday party going on upstairs, it didn't slow down the valet or shuttle service, which may seem little but sometimes it's the little things that count.
Self park to save a couple of dollars per night and there was ample parking!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest , thank you for the review and I agree, the shuttle makes things very easy and convenient. Your comments are fully noted and shared with the managers involved. Our goal is to facilitate the most restful conditions and ultimate in convenience for our valued guests ,such as yourself. Thank you kindly for your feedback and we look forward to your next arrival.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The neighboring Hilton wanted $150 more per night. We were a walk-in reservation. Had a nice, clean, comfortable room. The people working everywhere were so polite. Nice bar. Easy walk from the theme park and City Walk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest , thank you for the review! Perfect , comfortable, clean , great associates and nice bar. It is just fantastic that you had such a great stay. I believe that the team at the hotel really put the effort to make every guests experience a great one. Please visit again soon, we look forward to your arrival.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Good location , good service, we asked for a refrigerator twice tho... They don't have one in room !! But the rest was ok.. They forget to clean our room one night but it was ok... We were too tired to complain at the time

• Stayed January 2013
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest, your feedback is so important and will certainly be followed up on immediately . Our guest needs are top priority and I make it a point to follow up on the lapse of service. I am however glad to see that you had a nice visit and your experience was a good one. If you return please don’t hesitate to call me directly so that I can personally assist with your room reservations. Thank you kindly for your time and hopefully I will hear from you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Jan 17-18 2013, the original plan was to stay Jan 17-21 2013
The staff at the hotel with the exception of the bell men was very rude and snobby.It all began from check-in. I booked on a star-hot rate because my sister is employed with Starwood hotels,However when doing so you must provide the hotel with the Star hot document upon arrival or before the end of your stay in order not to be charged that nights rate w/o the discount.I did not have my Star Hot doc when I checked in,Why did I make that mistake? I was judged from that moment! The front desk agent gave me nothing but attitude.Even when providing her with my credit card to place on file she asked,"Is this a regular credit card or a debit card?",also she asked me for my boyfriends name because she said the hotel requires to have names of everyone who's staying in the room,I know this is not true and I observed her check-in 2 couples before me and none of these questions were asked to them.By then I knew what i was facing and its a shame that in 2013 it still exist. I was very uncomfortable with staying at this place. I stayed ONE NIGHT and got the hell out of there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!