“great value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West

You added Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 South Westlake Ave/I-10, Wilshire Blvd./6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #112 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney
“great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

As a Platinum Elite Member I usually choose IHG hotels when travelling for business or leisure and never got disappointed even though standards vary by counyry. First time in L.A and I only stayed for the weekend do wanted to make the most out of the short time. People told me to stay somewhere in Hollywood but rates were much higher there so I chose this place based on the price and location near Metro station with Red and Purple Line to Hollywood and Downtown. It's just a 5min walk from the station to the hotel and getting thete from the airport by public transport took less than 45mins.
Some of the reviews here mention the 'iffy' neighbourhood this hotel is in, but after 3 days exploring L.A. and surroundings as a female solo traveler I don't think it's any better or worse than other areas. I walk a lot and found sections of Hollywood Blvd and parts of Beverly Hills worse than Westlake. Sure - I wouldn't walk through the park at night but I wouldn't do that in any other city either.
I had a King Room facing to the back.It was clean, nice and featured lots of space. It was quiet and the bed was comfy - all you need after making it through the long flight and a day walking around downtown.
The staff are super friendly and helpful. Nothing is too hard and they are all able to multitask very well and deal with different guests. Big thanks to Aida, who looked after me the first day and not only picked the perfect sightseeing tour for me but provided so many useful information. And of course the General Manager needs a mention for taking the time to drive me to the Staples Center so I could check for tix for the Lakers.
The hotel offers a free shuttle anywhere you want to go within 4miles -very handy.
They also have plenty of parking but I didn't need.
Breakfast is included in the rate but don't expect too much. Good selection of baked goods, pancakee, bacon &egg, cereals and some fruit..just enough to get you on the way. I would go to a coffee shop for a nice coffee though.
Overall a very pleasant stay - I am glad I booked there.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Sometimes, it is the small things can elevate an average stay to greatness:
My colleague and I had a very early arrival from a Long Haul flight into LAX - tired and a touch dishevelled, we presented at check in around 9.30 am... Amazingly, we were able to get access to our room right away! (If this was a perk of being Platinum with IHG Rewards, I am not sure). The check in staff were all friendly, efficient and welcoming - even inviting us to enjoy the free breakfast before crashing out in our room.

Later in the day, we needed to attend an Oscars event in Hollywood - but my collegue had forgot to pack a tie for the night. Firstly, the manager offered for us to use HIS tie (amazing for him to offer) - but it did not quite match the suit worn - so he then arranged for the hotel van to take us to a shop - THEN take us directly to the Oscars party... FOR FREE!!!!!! When we rolled back in at 3am a little under the weather - they arranged for pizza to be delivered for us too!! I can not thank the guys here enough for making our evening flow so smoothly!!!

The hotel itself is in kind of a iffy area BUT it is very close to the Metro and Downtown... If going to events at the Staples Centre / Disney Hall etc etc, it is only 2 stops away on the Metro (or a free ride in the hotels van).

The rooms are standard HI Express standard - but very clean and well maintained. There is a small hot tub downstairs and breakfast (not great - but free) is included in the rate.

To all the amazing staff there - Thanks again for my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had never seen such a great customer service upon check in Ida was very professional and helpful through out my stay.Dennis driver was awesome. Evening staff male and female were very unprofessional. The room was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was my second stay here (first was September 2013) and both times I was ever so blessed to have Juan the shuttle driver picked me up at Union Station after my train ride. Juan sets the standard for the rest of the staff, who are also friendly.

The hotel is in not the best neighborhood, at least at night. But I felt plenty safe walking around during the day and I'm on old white guy.

The rooms are ok and the hotel is an excellent place to stay if you have business in downtown LA. I'd take the train to LA and call the hotel shuttle to pick you up. Maybe you'll luck out and get Juan as your driver!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel, and they have apparently remodeled since I last stayed here a few years ago. We had no problems parking our car in the garage. Check-in lady was courteous and was able to switch our rooms so that we could be next door to our friends who were staying in another room. We were in room 518 and had no problems with the room: the fridge worked well and was quiet; the bathroom was clean with excellent water pressure and nice hot water. We did not try the breakfast. The only downside we experienced was that we used the outdoor jacuzzi when it first opened (at 6am) one morning and the water was only moderately warm (not at all hot-tub temperatures). We weren't sure whether this was because the jacuzzi had just opened for the day or whether this is the normal temperature throughout the day.

The hotel is not in the greatest part of town, but we felt safe driving in/out of the hotel. We would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 5th (top) floor if possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Tustin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'm a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express brand, but this property gives the brand a bad name.

Located in a really shady part of L.A., I would not recommend being out past dark.
Outdoor parking is compact and limited. Do not park your car in the parking garage. I had a really bad experience with a leaky pipe that left a hazy white crust all over my car.

Staff was unprofessional and rude. When I arrived, there was a long line in the lobby which was unexpected because it was 10 pm. The lady at the front desk said that she was new and did not know the check in process. So I waited along with the long line of people for someone else to arrive. Finally after about 15 minutes, an employee named Martin arrived in his car. He was very frustrated and short with everyone. He seemed very annoyed and had a really bad attitude.

Hotel room was nicely renovated and clean. Property is actually nice but the staff is horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I will not be back.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up facing the parking lot. Any other room is noisy from street, homeless, drug ad...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Troy, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

There was an odor in both the hallway and the room.
There were no outlets close to the bed, so could not charge my e-reader or phone next to the bed.
The door to the bathroom felt tacky like the paint was still wet, there was a hair stuck to the wall and the tub didn't seem very clean. There was no water pressure in the shower, the tub didn't drain well, and after I was finished taking a shower, there was A LOT of water on the bathroom floor. Had to use 2 towels to sop it up. The water also tasted like it came from rusty pipes when I brushed my teeth. I used bottled water to brush my teeth thereafter.
The wifi access was very slow and sometimes just periodically cut out.
Housekeeping didn't come to my room until 4pm and since the room didn't feel all that clean to begin with, I just told them not to bother.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Jessica P,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West? Share your experiences!