“Good hotel near Federal Building” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West

You added Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 South Westlake Ave/I-10, Wilshire Blvd./6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #112 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Crowley, Texas
“Good hotel near Federal Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

If you need to get a passport quick, or other business at the Federal building, this hotel is a good fit. Good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lindon, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Rooms were clean, everything worked, inside the hotel I was safe and comfortable, but I would not venture outside after dark. Staff very friendly, will stay here again when I'm the area for business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lincoln, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express is about your only choice in that part of town. We were attending a late afternoon memorial service at a nearby church and didn't want to drive far. This hotel was remodeled and modernized a couple of years ago. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. The bathrooms are a bit small and lacking in counter space, but they have done well with what they had to work with. There is free Wi-Fi and also free use of computers and a printer in their business center. We had asked for early check-in when we made the reservation. They wouldn't make any guarantees, but they had a room ready for us when we arrived. They offer a free hot breakfast, even including sausage and eggs, but there is no restaurant at the hotel and there are none nearby. Being in an ethnic neighborhood, there are many choices for tacos and enchiladas, and there's a Jack In The Box across the street. The hotel has secure off-street parking. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Temecula
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was attending a conference in Los Angeles and all of the host hotels were sold out, so I came across this one not too far from the convention center. Now, I was extremely sceptical as I was driving through some questionable neighborhoods to get there, but once there, I was pleasantly surprised! Modern lobby, friendly staff and very clean rooms!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Morgan Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Hotel was great... I booked 3 rooms for some employees doing work in the area. The rooms were nice and clean great hotel but the surroundings are pretty scary. There was a shooting near the hotel and my employees called and requested that I change hotels for them.

Room Tip: I wouldn't send my kids here alone or a wife or girlfriend for that matter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

The hotel is very well maintained and have a large free of charge parking! That is a treat when you are in Los Angeles! We had good hot breakfast! A pity as a priority club member, I did not receive any recognition for my 3 nights stay! We did not experience any fire sirens until the last day but the walls are thin, so we could hear the alarm clock ringing from next door or someone taken ill, coughing her heart out!

The red line station is just 5 minutes away, so convenient to walk to but the neighborhood feels sleazy so I was uncomfortable walking out when it turns dark. I prefer to drive then.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Edmond, OK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Check-in and parking are accessed from Westlake, the street where the hotel is addressed. My check-in experience was smooth and efficient. Door access to the room uses a proximity reader rather than having to rely upon a magnetic strip being swiped in a traditional card reader. Just hold the plain white card near the black circle above the door handle, and voila!

This is a former Ramada Limited, so the WiFi SSID is "ramada" even though the instructions say to select "Holiday Inn Express on Wi-Fi". Though I wasn't given the internet access code at check-in, a quick call to the front desk is all that was required. As for speed, I was able to squeeze 2.1 Mbps down and 0.37 Mbps up using speedtest.net. Not exactly stellar rates, but it seemed marginally useful. Your authentication with the hotel's proxy seems to be reset at random times. You'll be working along, and everything just stops. Upon opening a new web page, you're redirected to the hotel's proxy authentication. It really became quite irritating. Ultimately, I had to switch to my Verizon cellular modem because even with authentication, the hotel's network kept losing connectivity with the internet. This is a major failure on the part of a "hospitality" company.

The desk area is adequately sized with a nice lamp and two electrical outlets. Be prepared to use something as a mouse pad, because optical mice do not like the faux granite finish on the desktop.

An exceptionally noisy exhaust fan is on the same switch with the bathroom light -- a major sore point with me, which you'll know if you've read any of my other reviews. Hospitality folks, please, it's not rocket science: Separate switches for the bathroom light and fan.

Judging from the bullet-proof glass I found across the counter at a nearby Jack-in-the-Box, this isn't the greatest part of town. My experience walking to and from the Westlake / MacArthur Park subway station confirmed this suspicion. Making my way through the trash, filth, disrepair, homeless, and hucksters, I felt lucky to make the short walk four days in a row without being mugged. Do not go out at night unless you are driving your locked car to a better part of Los Angeles (if such a place exists).

Wednesday, I returned to my room at 4:10 PM to find that it had yet to be cleaned. Perhaps this is normal, but the hotel isn't exactly overrun with guests. I would have thought the occupied rooms could have been cleaned well before that time.

Dominos Pizza delivers to this hotel. So does Tg Original Express if you like Thai or Chinese. I would not recommend going out at night on foot. I would scarcely recommend going out during the day on foot! Your personal safety will definitely be in peril. This is a nice, freshly-renovated HIE property, but the surrounding neighborhood is utterly awful. I'm sad to say that means I will be staying elsewhere if I return to Los Angeles. And that's a shame because all of the people who work at this property are terrifically warm, friendly, and helpful. The people should get five stars, the property four, and the area less than ZERO. So it averages out to three which is my rating.

Room Tip: Just keep the curtains drawn tightly shut and pretend you're in a different neighborhood. It on...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West? Share your experiences!