“What a wonderful time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pecorino

Pecorino
11604 San Vicente Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)
(310) 571-3800
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pecorino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #641 of 8,660 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Westside
Cross street: Barrington & Wilshire
“What a wonderful time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I took my wife to Pecorino for Valuntine's Day. We usually never go out for a holiday like that, but I was delighted that we did. The food was outstanding - I had an all-ster dinner with the octopus salad, the sole in parchment, and the pear au gratin. Un- bloody - believable. Enjoyed it all with an excellent red from Multipuciano. I haven't enjoyed myself as much in a restaurant for quite a while, and this was on a busy night! Service was great. The waitstaff, including the busboy, were delightful. The owner, even though he was very busy, spent alot of time clowning around with us (p.s., he is the only Italizn that I have meant who is not obsessed with soccer -er football - but I am a sports nut, so I had a great time with him anyway. The atmosphere was very reminisent of a number of places in Rome that we have been to. Whenever I get back from Italy, I always lament that the Italian places in the US are never as good as those in Italy. - Pecorino clearly was! i see why my friends recommended it to me. My wife had an excellent lentel soup, an excellent lobster-asparagus pasta, and their strawberry / almond tower. You'll over it, but please don't take the last reservation on a night that I want to come back. Finally, I have no conflicts of interest to declare - just a happy first-time diner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Overpriced pasta”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to Pecorino with another couple for dinner. My husband ordered the onion appetizer which sounded interesting, but it was undercooked, relatively tasteless and still had the outer skin on it. I ordered the artichoke appetizer which was 3 small pieces of artichoke that had no flavor and were not even cleaned properly. The meal was downhill from there. Two of us ordered the lobster pasta. We couldn't eat it. I thought it tasted like soap. My husband had the seafood pasta which had 3 tiny shrimp, 3 tiny (and I mean tiny) mussels and a lot of rubbery calamari that I am sure came out of a bag in the freezer. The only dish that was interesting was their pecorino pasta which was made by putting the warm pasta inside the center of a wheel of pecorino cheese and adding a lot of pepper. Great idea and was tasty, but for $18.00? Their wine list was a joke. We ordered a bottle of Zinfindel, which was very good and one of the least expensive wines on the list at $48. Most of the bottles were hovering at $100.00-$125.00.
As far as the service, our waiter was nice, but we were never asked if our food was OK? We would have been tempted to send it back. The restaurant was charming, but a bad meal at $130 a couple, is ridiculous. We would never go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Better than Italy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Once again great food! As much as I LOVED the stracchetti at il Gabbriello in Rome, I have to say that the stracchetti alla roma at Pecorino was better!! Authentic Rome and east of Rome (Abruzzo) cooking. Bread is traditional for this region and is served with an Abruzzo hummus -- excellent! For the quality this is an excellent value. Excellent selection of wines -- we always try something from Abruzzo to go with the cuisine -- often good values in the region that the owners know best. Do not go here if you expect American Italian cooking with red sauces, burnt garlic and bread drenched in olive oil! Staff makes you feel like you are in Italy and you are!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A taste of Italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Unlike the more traditional Italian restaurants in this area of Brentwood, Pecorino felt more like a trip to Tuscany than "Little Italy". The staff and the food were delicious and not your average American Italian. The setting was quaint and the service while at times a bit slow, was very pleasant and authentic. Definitely worth the stop if you are in the area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Average Food, not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

You first judge an Italian restaurant by the bread. This was just average. I had to ask for olive oil to dip it in, for which they brought the big bottle to the table (looks like they just took it from the kitchen). I had a little plate of arugula for $14 and spaghetti for $18. Again, just average. I don't mind paying those kind of prices if something is really delicious, but it just wasn't that great. I must say the ambience was nice and the service attentive, but it seemed like one of those places that slaps high prices on everything to make you think you're getting something special. Save your money and your calories for better value.