“Gold Mine” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Gold Mine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was a gold mine for me on a recent weekend trip to LA for a sporting event at UCLA Pauley Pavilion. The price is excellent for that area. The staff is not overly friendly; but not rude in any way. The parking was free. I was concerned about whether or not if I would get one but I did and throughout the weekend I always saw empty spaces. It was within walking distance of Pauley Pavilion and many great restaurants and shops. The college town of Westwood is full of practical things like Target, CVS and Trader Joe's plus a bunch of retail stores, coffee shops and restaurants. I couldn't have asked for a better location. The hotel itself is very small. Our room was clean, comfortable and actually nicer then I expected. The decor was nicely done. The overall look of the hotel from the outside and the common area is low budget but the rooms inside where it counts was well done. There was a refrigerator and microwave inside the room. The daily continental breakfast was great. It was basic but there were some good options to choose from and they kept it well stocked. The room where it's served is pretty small but we always found a seat. I did not use the internet while I was there so I can't comment on that. If you want amenities or upgrades then this is not the place for you but if you are looking for a clean, affordable, well located place to stay this is it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a small but comfortable hotel and within walking distance of just about everything you might need if going to an event at UCLA - especially Trader Joe's. Our room was the delight of the stay, even without one with a terrace. Large and comfortable suite. Price reasonable for the convenience to UCLA so we could walk and not pay for parking on campus. The Wi-fi could be better, and the breakfast is not anything to cheer about, but what was offered was fresh. It is an older hotel, so they are limited by space for a breakfast room. I'll take the extra footage in the room, and be a little cramped for breakfast. You can always take it back to your room to eat. The room and bathroom was clean and extra towels were available at the front desk if needed. The 4 stars are because of the problems with wi-fi and the less than satisfactory offerings for breakfast. Other than that, our stay was delightful, and will return if the occasion offers itself again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is a good price for the area, with a few caveats. The room I had was clean and appeared to have been renovated in the past couple of years, but as a retrofit of an older building, something seemed odd. There was a sort of kitchen area with a microwave. The light over the work table did not work. The internet almost never worked. (My colleague reported no service at all in their room.) We did not try the breakfast based on the description given by the desk attendant. The front desk staff was cordial and provided beneficial advice when asked.

Note: the parking is limited and you might have to leave your keys because some slots require double parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
garybenton@gmail.com
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I work through the Internet, and have been in many hotels in lots of places. The Internet here is one of the worst I've come across anywhere. They've already reset everything, and they say that's all they can do. The staff have not been very helpful or friendly. We won't be back if we can find any better options.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am sorry that you encountered technical difficulties during your visit. We had just upgraded our services in an attempt to provide better services, we now cover B, G & N networks, and do not limit speed or bandwidth. I will take a close look at our internal network to see if & what may also need to be upgraded. I will also work with my staff regarding the ability to assist the guest, but we also are very cautious to NOT change settings or connections, we can only offer "LOG IN" assistance to our network, no speed, or down / up load issues. We are NOT techies, but we are willing to assist you to the best of our abilities. Again, I am sorry you experienced internet issues during your visit, it is our goal to provide you (our guest) with the best internet experience possible.
Ingolstadt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Royal Palace Westwood is located in a nice and safe neighborhood close to UCLA. There are restaurants, super markets and drug stores nearby. They gave us a big and clean room with a small balcony. The complementary breakfast was okay, but they served it in a little, ugly and noisy room, so we almost never used it. The staff was fair enough. Maybe they could have been more friendly. There are free parking spots around the building. We always found one, but probably it is hard to find alternative parking if all spots are taken. If you are traveling by car the hotel and all the famous LA sights can be reached easily. In general we got a good value and would stay there again if the rate is okay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I had an interview at UCLA, I stayed there for 5 nights. The front desk old guy is extremely rude. The breakfast danish and bananas had mold. The sheets felt so unclean, I cannot tell there was bed bugs as I didn't see them though I felt it. Its location is definitely amazing, close to everything in the village of Westwood. I payed 160$ for a single king size bed. It is way overrated here and over priced compared to the quality of service provided. The second star I gave was just for the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. We take all comments seriously, and use them to help us improve in the areas of distress. I appreciate your comments and will personally investigate each complaint. As this is not the norm here at the Royal Palace Westwood. I again apologize, and I truly hope that your interview at UCLA went well, and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity in the future to show you how we addressed the areas & services you mentioned.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The location is excellent, the parking and wifi free, the rooms fine and the price reasonable. So the outside is ugly and the staff somewhat scattered, if you need a safe convenient place to sleep this is a great deal for LA. Lots of coffee shops and restaurants a block away in Westwood Village, UCLA is just up the street, the Getty a few miles away. If you like soft pillows bring your own. My room had a balcony--maybe they all do --but it was surprisingly enjoyable. If you want a restful walk before you hit LA traffic, UCLA' s botanic garden is a block away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Royal Palace Westwood? Share your experiences!