“Great Location and Friendly Staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

Save Saved
You added Venice Beach Suites & Hotel to your Saves list
Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1305 Ocean Front Walk, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Westside)   |
Special Offer
Free WI-FI
Ranked #39 of 318 hotels in Los Angeles
Victoria, Texas, United States
“Great Location and Friendly Staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a good hotel with an amazing location, however, this review won't mean anything without knowing these few things: If you are looking for a quite, relaxing vacation, this hotel and Venice Beach are not for you. This Boardwalk is always crowded with people and the walls in the hotel are thin. If you are looking to just relax in a hotel, this is not the hotel for you. The rooms are small, bed is hard, and they don't clean your room unless you stay over a week. That being said, if you want a different experience in a fun and artistic town, this is the place for you. The hotel is very old, but the staff is very friendly and the location is amazing. We didn't spend much time in our room because there was so much to do all around the town. The old style elevator was really fun, but definately not for consistent use (we took the stairs) so if you are handicaped, I would request a room on the bottom floor. The location is to die for if you love the beach. We were able to park a block down in a lot for $20 a night with no problem finding a spot. You walk out of the hotel and are on the beach! The hotel also has surf boards and beach equipment (even volleyballs) that you can borrow for free!
Overall we enjoyed our stay here. It's no where near a five star hotel, but for the price and the location, it was perfect for us!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on an oceam view room. You won't spend much time in your room and its...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Upland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great place to stay and play. All the comforts of home with an amazing view, close to all you need and anything you might have forgot. This boutique hotel provides the family owned atmosphere I find most attractive when traveling. Clean, comfortable, cozy with a little piece of home. Remember this is Venice Beach, if you're a stuffy person, this might not be the right fit for you. From the front desk to the maintenance and housekeeping, the staff is 5 star!

Room Tip: There is a room for everyone, be sure to communicate your needs with the front desk staff to be sure...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was the second time I stayed at Venice Beach hotel and, once again, I had a great time with no complaints: the hotel was clean and safe, staff very helpful. It's becoming my new home in LA. Even my favorate weidos were roaming on the boardwalk; it felt like a welcoming party

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here about a month ago. Before you arrive you need to be aware that this is not a Holiday Inn or a typical chain hotel. It is a Mom and Pop hotel centrally located on Venice Beach. The room we stayed in was very clean and had a kitchenette that made things very convienient. The only issue we had with the hotel was the lack of parking... but that was resolved by pulling up to the back of the hotel to drop off my wife... who went in to get the parking voucher while I circled the block. Being centrally located on the beach walkway... you will see everything from other tourists... to street people... to 420 doctors... just by walking out the door... Which is locked at night (Each guest has a key). There is enough people traffic that we felt as safe as anywhere else.
If you talk to Matt, the manager, he will happily direct you to any of the local attractions. He had options for discounted bike rentals, etc. He even directed us to the canals of Venice... where we even saw a gondola... (we had no idea they even existed) And you are just a few blocks from a high end shopping or eating district. Thank you for everything Matt.

Room Tip: If you are concerned with noise at night... ask Matt to put you in a room that is on the ally side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is amazingly located and that is the one good thing going for it. The area outside at night is very rough and the front door did not properly lock, nor did we feel safe in the room at night. I would call it more a hostel than a hotel and I certainly won't be going back. The price of my stay was no cheap and so I assumed it would be a wonderful place, I ended up moving out early and staying at a friend's house in LA - lucky I knew people who lived nearby!

Room Tip: - away from the strip - not on first floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Matt M, Manager at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We strive to clearly represent ourselves as a 100 year-old, two star hotel. We're not outfitted with resort-level, three- or four-star facilities (gym, restaurant, bar, spa, etc.) but do have standards of service, cleanliness, maintenance and in-room amenities (mini-kitchens, private bathrooms, complimentary daily housekeeping and fast & free Wi-Fi) that would distance our operation from that of a hostel.

As far as pricing goes, our rates shift up based on occupancy. A last minute, same day online booking could cost $30-40 more than the same room type reserved weeks in advance. So, if any price-conscious prospective guests are reading this, book in advance (at least a month out for summer weekend rentals) and call us directly to secure the lowest rate.

And thank you very much for mentioning the front door lock in your review, you and several other in-house guests brought it to our attention and the latch mechanism was fixed promptly.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was a very pleasant and reasonably priced place to stay. OK, the neighbours at night can be a bit scary and it is good to keep your distance, but the hotel itself is a haven from the worries of the world and wonderfully situated right on the beach.

You'll have to pay extra for a view. Our room was awesome and basic cooking and laundry facilities are provided for as well as ample coffee.

Room Tip: Specify if you want a view. We didn't have one and it didn't matter. Still awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were on a week long trip to Vegas and California, and although I am in my 40s I still like to travel without much planning and see where the adventure leads. It lead us to the venice Beach Hotel and Suites. We researched the hotel from our phone on the drive to Cali and when we called the Fella who was there was very polite and answered all our questions and even didn't mind when we said we would call back, I'm sure he knew we were calling around. When we called back he was very accomodating in giving us directions to the hotel which is not easy to approach in a car if you are from outta town as it is located directly on the beach so you can not exactly pull up in front.
Anyway, he greeted us when we arrived and warned me about leaving the car in the alley unattended as the Parking Police write tickets after 5min, so I went to watch the car and sure enough the Parking Enforcement Officer was sitting right there. I was happy he let us know so quickly. There was parking available just one block away and he set us up with a parking permit, no problem there at all.
The Hotel itself is an older building, our room was certainly not the one in the pictures online but it was cozy and clean, by "cozy" I mean small. I suppose at the end of the day what I'm saying is; if you are a demanding traveler and expect everything to be shiny, sterile and perfect then maybe another hotel might be for you. I'm sure there is a Four Seasons nearby? This hotel was safe, clean and in a fantastic location to enjoy Venice Beach, so if fun is what you're after this would be the place for you.
Lastly, the next morning we met the owner of the Hotel, Andy. What a nice person!! We were interested about Venice and asked him some questions about it's history. He knew so many interesting facts and told us a few stories as he has been there for a very long time. He then lent us two beach chairs to use down at the beach and also had a few surf boards there in the lobby that he offered me to use. I declined as sometimes descretion is the better part of valor! Andy certainly made our Venice stay more memorable.
So there you have it.
Also, just a short walk North along the beach you will find the Venice Ale House. Great place to eat lunch and people watch. See you there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!