“Interesting Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

You added Venice Beach Suites & Hotel to your Saves list
Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1305 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Venice)   |
Ranked #30 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eastvale, California
“Interesting Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The wife and I went on one of our weekend getaways and ended up in Venice Beach Ca. We stayed at the Venice Hotel and Suites. This is not a hotel for everybody. His is a very old and nostalgic hotel. The age of the hotel is very apparent. Be aware that because of the age of the hotel you will be subjected to less than 3 star accommodations. Rooms are clean but there are really no other special ammeneties. No room service, no ice maker, no A/C ect. Still if you want an unusual cookie place to stay I say give it a shot but remember. Don't expect too much. Oh ya. No parking. Cost me $25 to park overnight 4 blocks away.

Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Bakersfield, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you're looking to get a place to stay on Venice Beach this is the place. There is the issue of parking but that's part of LA life. The check in clerk was very friendly and accomodating. Our room was big enough, clean, and very quaint. The bathroom was stark white and spotless. It has exposed brick which gave it a vintage feel. The room came with a complete kitchen with dishes, pots/pans, stove top, frig, and microwave. Great if you want to make some meals to cut your costs. When you walk out of the hotel toward the beach you are in the thick of the Venice culture. The boardwalk is empty shortly after sunset except for the resident homeless but there were police around patrolling while we were there.
I would definetely come back to this hotel if I need to be in that area again. The price was worth the experience and the room was nicer than I expected.

Room Tip: We had the bottom floor toward the Speedway which was convenient if you have lots of things to unloa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt M, Manager at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your honest appraisal of your experience of staying with us, I couldn't have summed it up better myself!

I'm glad you weren't disappointed. I don't want any of our guests to be disappointed. If you have any questions in advance, call. If you're in-house and need something, ask. If something wasn't working right, tell us, we'll fix it. We want your vacation or getaway to be memorable, relaxing and exciting.
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was in room 401 and it was awesome--so much character! I arrived a few minutes before sunset and comfortably watched the sun slip behind the gorgeous Pacific from my room. Mind you, Venice beach shuts down after dark and so at night it was quite desolate--I hung out with local friends but I could see being miserable if I was alone as there are not really amenities (though the Internet was great & free!)

The hallways are a bit reminiscent of a hostel but the ancient elevator (named Betsey) adds charm. The staff was very nice and helpful and the room was clean. The bathroom was tiny but the room & view made up for it.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a pitstop in Venice Beach--the view in the morning is breathtaking and location is prime for strolling down the promenade.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront suite if you can--not sure I would have liked the hotel as much in a different roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Springboro, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was a good hotel. It is great to be so close to everything and the people watching... oh what fun! I really liked this hotel alot and I found the staff to be very accomodating. This is clean but small... but that's ok as long as it's clean for me. And this place has an incredible location!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the ocean view... just go out there and be there! How much time do you spen...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Leicester England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Based on the ecstatic reviews on Trip Advisor I had perhaps set myself up for a fall. This hotel is no better than OK, It is functional, friendly and handy for the beach. Venice beach has a much better quality of wino, dope head and pursuer of alternative lifestyle than I've encountered in any major city, it adds so much to the ambiance.
The hotel is generally tired in appearance and appeared to be that way throughout. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and their willingness to go above and beyond is most pleasing. The room we occupied was clean, the bed comfortable and had all its fixtures working. The Kitchen area was reasonably well equipped and despite its appearance the fridge worked well.
The toilet/bathroom was not at all visually appealing but was clean and there was plenty of hot water despite the hotel having full occupancy, something that some larger hotels fail to achieve.
Ultimately this hotel served its purpose, but I have to say by giving it a 5 star review you must be easily pleased.

Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This property is convenient to the beach and within walking distance of bars, shops and restaurants, and the canals. We even walked the two miles each way to Santa Monica pier. That was the best part. The staff is extremely polite, helpful and friendly. They directed us to excellent local restaurants and it was nice to get free use of beach chairs so we didn't have to bring our own. They also have a keurig so you can get yummy coffee in the office from 9:00 to 9:00 when they are on-site. We were glad to have coffee maker and coffee in the room. And yes, there were a few downers. The advertised "unloading" zone really isn't one at all. It's actually a commercial alley really busy and narrow - beware the hotel has no driveway or roundabout - you are at the back steps of the hotel in a strictly signed "no-parking zone". Although the hotel advertises being a member of the local chamber of commerce, the local authorities apparently cut him no slack to allow his customers to check in and out. We had two people and he was adamant that one person stay with the vehicle at all times or we would risk being ticketed. Seriously it seems like no way to welcome tourists to me. The other person has to carry all the bags in to the room and/or the office if your room is not ready. Then you have to fight for street parking which is also limited particularly on Monday and Tuesday mornings where street cleaning is done - we arrived on Monday and didn't know this. It's best not to arrive before 1:00 p.m. because that's when the street cleaning is done and more parking opens up. Not knowing about any of this and arriving on a Monday it was very stressful. Took us nearly an hour to unload, check in and drive around to find a spot. They also advertise maid service as "available" on the website. Upon arrival we learned that this is an extra fee. It wasn't that big of a deal but we thought it was a bit unclear. We had to take our own trash out each day and gather up our towels and exchange at the office, sweep the sand up and make the bed. This hotel is not inexpensive so a bit more service in the room would have been nice. Then there is an envelope in the room implying guests should leave a tip. That's a bit over the top when I'm servicing my own room. That said, the hotel's common areas are constantly being cleaned and maintained. Also, we didn't mind that the hotel doesn't have air conditioning...but if you leave the windows open which feels great, the blinds make noise all night banging on the window frame. Hotel has charm, but also drawbacks. Also the bathroom window has no screen so if you open it for ventilation in there flies come in.

Room Tip: Glad I didn't pay extra for the straight on ocean view. We didn't spend much time in the ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the detailed review of your experience!

I want to highlight two things here for prospective guests: 1) This property does not have an on-site parking lot; this reviewer is right about that. There are both paid lot & free street parking options locally. Call ahead for suggestions or, better yet, take a taxi from LAX if you can! ...and 2) We do not charge for daily housekeeping. It's available for each and every guest, each and every day; complimentary!

Thanks again for the helpful review and thanks for staying with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

After staying in 5 star hotels such as the Roosevelt & the Standard in Hollywood during our LA trip I was concerned about staying in a small hotel at Venice Beach. What's a girl to expect?

No parking but the staff were very helpful.
Rooms were small but clean & it's by the beach!!! Plenty of awesome eatery around the area as well!

Would stay here again, definitely! Seriously, just keep calm & let the handsome Jasper check you in & give you plenty of tips about the area!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!