“Unpleasantly surprised!” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7277 Valjean Ave., Van Nuys, Los Angeles, CA 91406   |
Ranked #76 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Unpleasantly surprised!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked our room thru hotel.com. Needless to say we were very disappointed. Were do I start. The room wad old and not at all as described as the picture or the agent! There wasn't a microwave or a refrigerator! There were stains on the bedding, and carpet! The tv was an old school style that took forever to get the picture up. When we called down to the front desk for extra towels and toilet paper. It took 30- 35 minutes. Then a second a third call finally did the trick. By that time the staff was rude. The plumbing was terrible! The only positive thing about staying there was the swimming pool! We booked this room solely do to the ratings. 4.5. Clearly not!

• Stayed July 2013
Brian_Dunn_1, Director of Rooms at Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear, twinkytwin1970,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with Airtel Plaza Hotel Management. Without your valuble feedback, we cannot improve our operation for all of our Guests.
Your concerns have been addressed within the last few weeks; we have re-carpeted many of our rooms, added new lighting fixtures and enhanced our public spaces. We truly strive to ensure that all of our Guests, no matter what booking method is used, has the opportunity to experience our service and accommodations at its best.
We do hope you offer Airtel Hotel another opportunity in the future to the deliver the above and then some to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The only problem I had was there was no refrigerator or microwave! I like to eat leftovers and there was no microwave to warm my items up. I had to go to a local convenient store. I also like to keep my drinks cold and I had to keep getting ice to keep them chilled. Overall the trip was Wonderful A+ Hospitality! I will return!

Room Tip: It is very quiet and clean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tamiga P,
The Airtel Plaza Hotel Team is pleased we were able to deliver a “Wonderful A+” stay on your recent visit to our hotel. We truly strive to ensure that each one of Guests like you has all accommodations, service and dining expectations met and exceeded.
Please know that we do have refrigerators and microwaves available by request (a nominal fee may apply.) We look forward to your return visit!
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Adorable place. My husband and i were very please with this hotel. Perfect location..not to far from famous places. A hotel to enjoy some peace and quiet ambiance. It was very clean but don't have enough towels and linen to use. It was so great to meet front desk staff Gary and Gerry who welcomed us with huge smile and full of laughter. We will definitely stay here again! A++++ is our rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear December1206,

The Airtel Plaza Team appreciates your valuable feedback and most importantly, we are happy to know that we met and exceeded your expectations during your most recent stay.
Airtel Plaza Management will be happy to share your positive feedback to those mentioned in your review. We look forward to your next visit.
Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Let me start by saying I have traveled to over 25 countries, stayed in 1 star hotels and stayed in glorious 6 star hotels, this hotel is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my entire life. Everything from service to cleanliness is absolutely horrific.
The hotel staff is the rudest I've ever encountered, from the front desk people to the managers on duty. I was there for business and was supposed to be there for 6 days, ended up leaving after 1. Lets get to the room part, it was extremely dirty, with stains, and cockroaches walking around (yes i saw 2 cockroaches one in bathroom, one under bed). I had an asthma attack after 2 hours I was there with how much dust was accumulated in the room. The next day after "room service" came to do our room, I went back in and it seemed more dirty then when i left it.
Last but not least, after I tried telling the manager on duty about the problems I was encountering he answered me extremely rude and arrogantly: "Thats weird, we have the best reviews on tripadvisor".
Absolutely unreal. Trust me and DO NOT stay here. I rather sleep in my car then there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brian_Dunn_1, David Gutierrez, Director of Rooms at Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Lan-Donia,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we are regretful that you experienced and highlighted the service shortfalls on your recent stay with our hotel.

We consistently strive and work hard to earn the chance to be your first choice in a Los Angeles hotel. We have already addressed the issues you experienced and will have them correct immediately. Should you wish to contact hotel management, you may reach David Gutierrez, Director of Rooms at ‘’david@airtelplaza.com.” Thank you again.
Walnut Creek, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Lot of problems with the hotel. Our room was dirty and run down, all the doors on the 3rd floor have water mark, seems there was a water leak long time back and they never cared to repaint. The bathroom was dirty and carpet was smelly. We booked through priceline and it seems they don't give updated rooms for booking done through Priceline, Expedia etc.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room, seems there is a very big difference between the updated ones and older rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear PANDWalnutcreek
Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we truly strive to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Priceline, Expedia and all third-party reservation centers are offered a base rate and choice of Traditional, or upgraded to Preferred (for a small fee.) We strive for cleanliness and service and regret we were unable to meet your expectations.
We do hope you offer Airtel Plaza Hotel a second chance on your return trip to Los Angeles.
Fresno, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Booked our room thru expedia. When we arrived, the room that was given to us was next to the nearby airport. Right away we knew it was going to be very noisy. Since we had to wake up early for a flight out of LAX we went to the front desk and asked if we could change our room to the other side of the hotel that wouldn't be so noisy. Right away the manager of the hotel accomadated us and gave us a room, actually an upgrade, for the same price that we booked it.
Very nice room, quiet, clean, and comfortable. Had a drink in their lounge, dinner in their dining room and I must say, excellent service and great meal. I would deffinately stay here again. The service was exceptional.
This hotel is close to the Van Nuys flyaway terminal, great for us because this is what we use when we make our trips to Canada.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter. Too bad this hotel is right next to an airport.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear jmullins762
Thank you sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we are thrilled that met and delivered on your service and accommodation exceptions.
The Airtel Plaza Hotel is located in the heart of the San Fernando Valley and has established great customer base because of the proximity to Van Nuys Airport.
All “third party reservations” are treated with the same service level as a direct-hotel reservation would be; the exception is, direct reservations are eligible to earn points based on your stay as being a member of the “Captain’s Club.” We hope to see you on your next stay and book directly with Airtel Plaza Hotel reservations at (818) 997-7676 and we look forward to enrolling you in our “Captain’s Club” membership program.
Lancaster, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as the result of a Priceline deal. I was a bit unsure of the hotel given other reviews, but it turned out to be a great stay!

I had a traditional king room, in the main building, second floor. My room faced the walkway to the pool/jacuzzi area and was opposite the restaurant, The room was comfortable, though the bed was a bit low to the floor. I know the hotel is in process of upgrades, at least that is what I get from other reviews. I was in a room with one of the older type tvs, but it wasn;t a big issue, it's just a flat screen would have been nice.

The bath amenities were of a good quality, as well as the towels. I enjoyed the single cup coffee maker, though I wished I had remembered to ask for more creamer!

I was concerned about noise from the Van Nuys (VNY) airport, but it turned out to not be an issue at all. The grounds of the hotel are pleasant, especially the midway garden area between the main building and the Tower building.

I did not eat at the hotel, but did go to the bar about 8:30 (after the restaurant closed and got some decaf coffee. I have to admit, I was surprised by the price for a cup of coffee-over $3.00! A bit high, since I know I can get Starbucks same size for about $1.65.

I did not use the pool or spa, but it was well used by other guests when I was there.

I was aware of the $10 a night parking rate, and given hotels I have stayed in around LAX that charde more than twice that much, it wasn't a big issue. I felt my car was secure. .

As far as being a third party reservation, I don;t think that I was treated any differently than any other guest, I was actually given a choice of rooms, given my preference to be located away from the airport side of the hotel and a lower floor room. I eventually chose the second floor though..

I would most definitely welcome the opportunity to stay at the Airtel Plaza Hotel again!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the airport runways! Be prepared fro the $10 a night parking, so it won'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brian_Dunn_1, Director of Rooms at Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear jmullins762,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit and we look forward to seeing you again. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure that the areas of improvement you mentioned are reviewed.
We Thank You and hope to see you soon!

Been to Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!