“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

5 stars for the staff! They are such dedicated,hardworking and generous people! Without them my rating would be a 3 for sure!

4 stars for the hotel itself. I stayed here for work, so I had a basic room on the first floor near parking lot. I didn't pay, so I can't complain, but I would not have been as impressed with my room if I paid. Not sure of its truth, but I heard they are in renovation stage? I saw pics of others rooms, much nicer than mine. BUT the silver lining for me is the staff! They REALLY took care of me like family. From bell man to front desk, their customer service blew other major "elite" hotels I've forked over fortunes for. They really try very hard to make you happy here at the Airtel. I didn't feel like a number, I felt like a guest.

At the end of the day, I had everything I really needed.

My ONLY gripe is my bed. I'm not sure if its just me, but I had a 5 day stay and I never got a goods night rest:( I just couldn't sleep well?

I hope to visit them again and get to sleep in another( renovated hopefully?) bed.

Room Tip: Be nice to the front desk, it goes a long way! Gary is the best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear SB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. It is truly enjoyable to know that we have delivered the service that we work hard to provide.
Our entire Service Team, from our Guest Service Desk to Housekeeping and our Landings Restaurant work diligently to deliver a first class level of service and we are happy to hear we met your expectations.

We truly hope you return on your next visit to the San Fernando Valley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The stay at your hotel was a very good experience. We enjoyed all the amenities and the staff there was very friendly and helpful. When we return to Van Nuys, the Airtel Hotel Plaza will be where we stay. I would recommend the Airtel to anyone who's travelling in that direction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ronald A,

Airtel Plaza Hotel is very pleased to know that we met your expectations and went above and beyond with the service we provided on your last visit. We are a very dedicated team and appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you on your next trip to the San Fernando Valley
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Had a recent stay at this hotel and was very pleased. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The rooms are a bit outdated, by large and clean. I was most impressed with the bartender named Red in the hotel lounge. She was very friendly and made her guests feel welcome by asking your name and actually remembered it while serving you.

Dear Don A,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Your description of the service, accommodations and value is what we hope to deliver to our Guests.

We’ll be sure to pass on to our Team how pleased you were and we hope to see you back soon.
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We ended up at this property because a pageant our daughter was competing in was held here. Our room was very out dated and unimpressive (room 173). The property looks to need an update in general and it took 4 calls to get extra towels. We ate at the hotel restaurant and the service was very poor and food quality for the price was disapointing as well and they only have 2 high chairs so we had to hold our 2 year old as we ate. After competing on Saturday our daughter wanted to go swimming so we changed and walked down to the pool and after 5 minutes ended up leaving. Pool was not heated nor clean. Was full of bugs and debris and no towels. It really seems to me that no one takes pride in this property and it shows. My recommendation would be to stay somewhere else if you have the option.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear greggfi,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; your feedback is truly appreciated. WE currently have 42 Preferred Rooms that have been complete renovated. We are in the process of starting other renovations on 6 Terrace Suites. We hope you would visit us and give Airtel Plaza Hotel another opportunity in the near future.

Our service is unmatched in the San Fernando Valley. Our Team strives to ensure that each guest request and interaction is met with the highest of expectations. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations over your last stay.
Chula Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Left late for a trip to the Bay Area when tired hit. We were diving on the 5 North and the GPS took us the long way around. Located by the Van Nuys airport, was not a short trip from any direction. That was the annoying part.

Older hotel but was quiet & allowed a nice nights sleep. Price wasn't bad, could've been a few dollars less just for the length of the drive so far from freeway.

• Stayed April 2013
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Rico517,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we truly value your feedback and strive to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations.
Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel I did not have a rental car. I really needed to go to the nearest drug store, One of their staff member "Felipe" went out of his way to take me there and bring me back. His personality was great and extremely easy going. It may not sound like such a big deal but after flying all day I was just looking for someone to help me resolve my issues. Felipe did just that. Good job!!

Dear Steve R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Our Guest Service Agents truly strive to make each Guest’s experience something special and we are happy to hear we did just that.
We hope to see you on your next visit and look forward to offering our first class service!
Marshall, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Airtel was selected solely on location (i.e., closest to where my husband needed to conduct some of his business), because seriously, when people travel to L.A., Van Nuys is most likely not on the itinerary. We drove up with some trepidation (surrounding area is very industrial) - but encountered a well maintained building with manicured grounds. Stepping inside was another revelation. The lobby area is huge, attractive and inviting - and very clean. The aviation photos / memorabilia / history are interesting and enjoyable. Desk staff were welcoming and efficient. So far, so good. We requested a renovated room and hoped that meant it would be up to date. Opened the door to our first floor room and were pleased with the decor, size, and cleanliness - definitely renovated. Bathroom had a walk-in shower with good water pressure. Ordered extra towels and then headed off to the Landings restaurant for lunch - it was quiet but service was good as was the food. (Towels were in our room when we returned from lunch.) Later that day we headed to the Clipper Club bar (as we would for 4 consecutive days!) to have a beverage, eat, and banter with the SUPERB bartending staff and other guests - all in a comfortable, well designed bar that has lovely ambient lighting (not harsh, bright lights). (There is also a relaxing patio area to eat/drink if you are so inclined, as well as a pool and inviting outside seating areas to enjoy the weather or read a book.) The Airtel obliterated any negative thoughts we had about staying in Van Nuys. Since you have to drive everywhere in L.A. anyway, why not stay in an affordable, clean, hotel with great service (it's right near the 405 so was easily accessible for our travels to other cities for business). Also, the Galleria in Sherman Oaks is a short drive, as is Ventura Avenue for shopping and restaurants.) If I lived in L.A., I would be a regular at the Clipper Club. Who needs overpriced, trendy bars when you can enjoy a top-notch drink at a decent price, served by the friendliest, most welcoming bartenders in L.A.? Can't believe the locals aren't fighting for a spot at the bar! Being right next to the Van Nuys airport was fine with us - we rather enjoyed hearing and seeing the aircraft. It's not as if jumbo jets are landing out there (btw - don't people travel with earplugs just in case they encounter noisy travelers or a busy area? We always have them with us but didn't use them at the Airtel). Paying $10 a day to park was not an issue for us. We were pleased to have off street parking with unlimited in-out privileges. We stay in a lot of hotels - the Airtel is not a 4-star hotel by industry standards, but it was 4-stars to us for comfort, décor, service, and friendliness. The Airtel turned out to be our oasis in the midst of Van Nuys.

Dear wisnat,

Thank you for sharing your wonder experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Your details of the service, quality of food and accommodations is what we strive to deliver with every one of our Guests.

Your valuable feedback propels us to offer the best value in the San Fernando Valley. Our service, accommodations and Landings Restaurant sets us apart from neighboring hotels.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope we can be your first choice in accommodations on your next visit to Van Nuys, California.

Been to Airtel Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!