“Comfortable and Clean But Check the Room First” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5525 Sepulveda Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 91411 (South San Fernando Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #70 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia, Maryland
“Comfortable and Clean But Check the Room First”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I booked this hotel because of its location -- close to the Encino-Tarzana Regional Medical Center where my daughter was having surgery -- and based on favorable reviews on TripAdvisor. Great shops on Ventura Boulevard and the Sherman Oaks Galleria are nearby.

This is really a motel, with exterior walkways, and no elevators to the second floor. Since I was traveling alone, I asked for a room on the first floor to save me from lugging my suitcase up the steps. I was first given a room in a remote corner of the property, off the main walkway in a dark secluded area. When I entered the room, it felt damp and smelled musty. I returned to the front desk, and explained to the clerk that I didn't feel safe in that room. He was very nice, and explained that they only had a second floor unit available, but it was right across from the office. Given the other option, I agreed to stay in the 2nd floor room. It was a much nicer room, smelled cleaned, well lit and I did feel safer to be close to the office.

Service from the hotel staff was mixed. Before I booked the room, I called to confirm close proximity to the hospital. The clerk responded by telling me he had no idea if they were near the hospital and didn't offer to check for me. When I asked if he could take my reservation over the phone, he suggested it would be faster if I did it myself online. I probably would have then looked for another hotel, but I was making last minute plans and had no time for more research. The first clerk that checked me in was curt and didn't seem interested in my needs, but the clerk who assigned me the second room was very pleasant and seemed concerned that I felt safe.

Although I didn't get a chance to use it, the outdoor pool looked nice and was busy but not crowded. The hotel is attached to a Dennys so breakfast is convenient. Room service is delivered by Dennys as well although the selection was very limited.

The room was clean the the bed was very comfortable. Wireless Internet worked well but cost extra. Express checkout would have been more convenient since only one clerk was staffing the desk.

• Liked — Clean, Comfortable Room Close to the Encino-Tarzana Regional Medical Center
  • Disliked — Had to Ask for a New Room when the the first was musty, damp
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Los Angeles/Orange County CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This use to be one of my fave hotels in the area ( not too many decent ones in the area because all the hotels north of this one are seedy and are known by locals for the Van Nuys hooks that walk north of Burbank...aka don't book anything in Van Nuys if you can avoid it...( One of the last time there while smoking a ciggie with a friend in his truck, a guy cam up to us and said "Where the [--] at?" obviously looking along that strip north

Yes, The rooms are clean, nice large overall and the only major problem I have experienced on my many stays is the inconsistant hot water which has at times been ICEcold) but I liked the location close to the Galleria.

BUT NOW The hotel has now outrageously raised their rates...You use tobe able toget a room for 100 with your AAA and now it is 149 with your AAA...just isn't worth the price. The only other descent option is The nearby Courtyard off Ventura but they are usually 200 + so alas I will end up either moving north or south on my future work related journeys to the Valley ( see my review of the Holiday Inn)

• Liked — big rooms
  • Disliked — New high prices
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

it was a bastic motor inn. i felt safe and the room was clean. very no thrills. the poeple in the front office seemed nice

Stayed November 2007
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

very nice place to stay !!!! I vote # 1 in my book,the hotel was very nice and claen we stayed at Best Western Carraige inn in Sherman Oaks July 30, 2007 the staff was awesome and very helpful,the room had a fridge,microwave. and a reasonable place to eat at Denny's on site food was good and delivered to the room,if I was to go back Best Western will be the only place I would stay ,keep up the good work... Atl.ga

Stayed July 2007
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Best Western is a nice hotel. Staff is helpful and rooms are large, clean, and well furnished. There's a nice pool and jacuzzi. The area is convenient to freeway I-405 and 101 and the Galleria shopping center and Target are nearby. Only downsides are noise (by the freeways) and hookers standing on corner in early moning.

Denny's next door offers a good, good breakfast.

Stayed July 2007
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

Pet Friendly, nice place! The people working here are all sweet. For the area it is a great value and you can park your car right in front of your room. On-site laundry was clean and inexpensive. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

Stayed again last week. The hotel personnel went out of their way to make sure our stay was wonderful. THEY make this an EXCELLENT choice for the money. The rooms are nice and clean, the location is very convenient. It is next to the 405 freeway, so request a quiet room away from the highway. Dennys (yuck) next door, so eat elsewhere. We'll be at the Carriage Inn again this weekend ... and of course at our favorite Italian restaurant too ... ... Spumoni, at 14533 Ventura Blvd.

• Liked — The people who staff the hotel
  • Disliked — Next to freeway.They will give you a quiet room if you ask, and if available.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn? Share your experiences!