“18 day holiday ruined by accident on dangerous kerb outside pool, no aftercare by hotel management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5525 Sepulveda Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 91411 (South San Fernando Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #70 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was to be an extensive 18 day holiday. We travelled 9,000 plus miles to get there (due to plane cancellation). On the first day of my holiday I left the bright pool area by a side gate which leads to a poorly lit area and fell off the kerb which side had been painted the same colour as the road causing it to appear to be the same level as road. I fell with such force that the skin was ripped off my knee, my toenail was badly damaged, my shoe broke and very badly hurt my left foot which immediately began to swell. I was taken to a local hospital where my foot was xrayed and my wounds were dressed. Luckily my foot wasn't broken they think the ligaments were torn but this doesn't show in an X-ray. I was given strong pain killers, £175 hospital bill, crutches and told to rest my foot. Unfortunately I was the only person in our party who could drive and for the first week I could not do so because of the pain and the painkillers. To fill out an accident form, I had to struggle over to the office. The incident ruined mine and my family's holiday, I worked extremely hard to be able to afford to come to America and doubt if I'd ever be able to do it again. The first weeks stay passed in a blur because of the medication. On top of everything I was not given a proper apology or a real acknowledgement of my accident. I have since tried contacting best western via email but the office keeps telling me that they have tried to contact me?!? - they haven't. If this matter had been dealt with in a compassionate way I would have been more likely to have accepted an apology. Now nothing less than compensation will do.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were surprised to find a nice, clean and spacious room after reading some of the reviews. We liked this hotel and found the location very accessible to the freeway and local shops and restaurants. Although parking in the evening is quite difficult and we were their on bin day which meant that some of the cars that has parked at the end of rows were badly damaged and was hit resulting in lost bumpers so make sure u park sensibly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The front desk clerks were courtesy and helpful upon arrival and departure. The room was clean and decorated nicely. The beds were comfortable and I liked there were 2 sinks in the room. The location was in close proximity to Universal Studios and Hollywood. There is a Denny's onsite which was nice to eat before heading out. And also the parking was free. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room was adequate, but room charge seemed too high for quality of the motel. Couldn't make outside call because they had changed their phone system and not updated the instructions in the room. Convenient to have Denny's there for breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Three Rivers, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have stayed here about a dozen times a year over the last decade and this hotel has never failed to provide a great experience. It is conveniently located for easy access to locations along either the 101 or 405 freeways. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and when possible are happy to accommodate special requests. There is a restaurant on the property that is of reasonable quality. The rooms are excellently furnished with a great bed and lots of pillows. Nice TV and internet is sufficiently fast to allow me to do work when necessary. Only disappointment is that no microwave oven is available in rooms, which for a 'Plus' hotel is lacking, at least many other Best Western hotels provide this service. Nevertheless I would not hesitate recommending this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked a room here for about $110 through Kayak. I think next time we'll spend a little more and go somewhere else... the rug had sticky stuff embedded in it, they had cheapo toiletries; one of the towels smelled like cheese, and (really unforgivable) there wasn't any hot water when I took an early shower. I mentioned this to someone else who had stayed here previously; his theory was that they turn off the water heater overnight to save money - and turn it on again only when someone complains in the morning. On the brighter side, it wasn't too noisy; we got a decent night's sleep; and both the staff and the other guests seemed to be OK folks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ericybw, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time send a review about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

During our last night in Los Angeles we stayed in the Best Western Carriage Inn. Nice rooms well maintained and cleaned. The swimming pool was on the warm side. Location of the Best Western is very central and the best thing is Denny's is right next door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn? Share your experiences!