“Best Western Minus” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5525 Sepulveda Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 91411 (South San Fernando Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #87 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Toronto
“Best Western Minus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We arrived around 8pm, check in was quick. We had requested an upper level room in advance, we got it.
We were lucky, we got the last parking spot. (I guess the hotel was almost full) Next day morning cars were illegally parking everywhere.
WIFI is free, fast and reliable. Denny's is attached to the hotel and they do room service free of charge!
The pool is heated, nice greenery around but the pool towels were missing on 3 occasions out of 4. The front desk's excuse was that they were not getting back enough from the laundry. We always had enough in our room, but there was a big sign asking not to take towels from the room to the pool. They also have a nice size whirlpool (jacuzzi), but at a different location(weird). One of the wings of the hotel and parking both sides are between the pool and the jacuzzi.
When we stayed here they painted our wings' hall area and outside and they left the covering materials on the floors, on the lights, everywhere for our entire stay(6 days). We felt we are at a construction site for our all stay.
Our worst experience was the elevator. It was shabby, dirty, very noisy, shaky, and just refused to stop at our floor on the way up. All the time it took us to one level above, and on the way down it stopped at our floor. We couldn't believe we will find a creepy elevator like this in North America in 2013. My daughter was so scared after the first ride she never took the elevator again.
Housekeeping was not bad but sometimes they forget to leave the coffee for the coffee maker, the other day the sugar and the cream were missing.
Overall this hotel was OK for a short stay, but I wouldn't stay again longer that 3 days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have stayed here twice so far.

PROS: The rooms are clean (my BIGGEST pet peeve is a dirty room) and the beds are soft. The rooms in which I have stayed have two sinks - one outside the bathroom and one inside the bathroom, a good sized mini fridge, nice sized work desk and nice, clean furniture. The room comes with a "clean remote" which I also enjoy.

The location is good for me as it is close to the freeway and all the things I need to do when I am in Los Angeles (I come for business). Plus there are big box stores within a short distance which is good when you are traveling and need something.

This part of town can have a sketch feel to it from time to time but it is just fine. I used to live not too far from here and, if you are not from L.A., you may have difficulty gauging neighborhoods as L.A. neighborhoods can literally completely change within the span of a few blocks. But, this area is not bad at all.

The wifi is free as is the parking. This is major in L.A. Most hotels I've stayed at here charge for at least one of these things.

CONS:

I really, really, really find it disconcerting and strange when hotels chain their irons to the ironing board. It makes the whole property feel low budget. Its as if you feel your customers are thieves. It is inconvenient if you want to iron something large or bulky and don't want to do it on the ironing board. I mean, really - if I was a thief, there are plenty of better options for thievery which are not chained down. No one is stealing a basic iron!!!! (Sorry, this just bothers me to no end for some reason).

Parking - If you get there early, there is plenty of parking. If you check in late (I checked in at midnight on one occasion) - good luck to you! We had to park off site in a seedy alley and walk with our luggage. In the dark. Not good.

But, overall, I would return again. It is a good option for affordable business travel.

Room Tip: Get there early if you want plenty of parking options!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am always a little apprehensive about booking a room over the internet, but gave this place a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. I've stayed in many hotels all over the country over the years, and I can honestly say that this hotel was one of the cleanest properties I have ever seen. I saw employees scouring the landscaped areas for trash in the mornings, making sure that the property looked its best. The rooms were well appointed, looked to be recently updated, and meticulously clean. Even the bathroom tile was exceptionally clean - no discoloration on the grout anywhere. I used the laundry room on our last evening, and it was clean, as well. The kids enjoyed the pool and spa. It is safe, well-lit, and staffed by polite employees. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Great place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Great room, polite staff and heated pool!!! Really great stay!!! Convenient location. Denny's right out front. Will stay here again the next time we are in town and will refer friends and family. Close to Universal Studios.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
South Carolina, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Internet was definitely spotty. Beds had no firmness at all.
Otherwise rooms were OK - no significant complaint.

Motel features a Denny's in the middle of the parking lot, with rooms all around it!
Very basic place: get your parking spot, sleep, and spend the rest of the day inching along the packed streets and freeways of LA! But hey, the weather is great.

Room Tip: Will let you know after I've tried the luxury suite that they should build here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked this hotel through a large online discount bidding site. We had originally been trying to get a 2-1/2 star property but were "upgraded" to a 3-star. Nothing wrong with this hotel but it really wasn't an upgrade and we lost out on free breakfast from a 2-1/2 star!

Not to worry though, this property is more than adequate. The rooms were clean, the desk staff was hospitable and we actually wound up with a double queen instead of the basic single King that they said it was going to be when we first called.

Our observations:

The hotel is located right against the 405 freeway and yes - you can hear it, but there is actually more noise off of Sepulveda than the freeway. Neither is a real issue for us as we don't sleep THAT light.

The parking lost isn't that small but the spaces are definitely narrow in some cases, as others have noted.

No in-house food but there is a Denny's that the hotel is built around and depending on your room purchase, it may or may not be included in your room cost.

There is a very small pool, but we didn't use it. Looked clean and wet...

There is a room that has been converted to a "fitness facility." Not real big but if you need a treadmill, an elipticalor a universal, it works fine.

The hotel is very convenient to most of the north-end locations. 25 minutes to Malibu, 35 minutes to Santa Monica, 30-40 minutes to The Grove, 20-30 minutes to Hollywood, etc. Most of these times incl average traffic.

The room itself was clean and adequately supplied. 2-cup coffee pot, mini-fridge, flat screen tv, reasonable bathroom, plenty of lighting... We were on an upper floor so noise from parking and other rooms was not an issue.

As hotels go, the matresses were a little soft. I saw that someone else noted this too. Not a huge issue but if you need a firm matress, it definitely isn't. Pillows and bedding were fine.

Not sure what the rack rate is here, but we were heavily discounted so it was well worth our cost. No addt'l fees either... :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Location and overall look of the hotel is very convenient. Reception staff polite and helpful.
Despite being next to major freeway and street traffic noise was ok.
Problems were shower didn't work at all, and room door, felt like with a good shoulder on it, it would pop open from outside. The tightness of door closed and locked had 1/4" of movement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn? Share your experiences!