“Festive, good service, special food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roys Restaurant

Roys Restaurant
800 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)
213-488-4994
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 8th St. & Figueroa St.
Transit: Red Line Metro a 7th & Figueroa / DASH Downtown A or F line
Description: The legendary culinary vision of Roy Yamaguchi can be enjoyed right here in Los Angeles. At Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine, our menu features the finest seafood with a focus on delicacies from the oceans around Hawaii. Each creation is a fusion of flavors found in our freshest local ingredients with European sauces and bold Asian spices and served with the spirit of Aloha, creating a dining experience that leaves you feeling like you’ve found paradise. The Downtown Los Angeles restaurant is located on the corner of 8th and Figueroa and features a spacious dining room with a sushi counter that gives you a front row seat to the excitement of the exhibition kitchen. In the kitchen, Chef Garrett Mukogawa brings his imagination and artistry to the plate every night. Chef Garrett learned his love of cooking from his Grandma Park, whose creativity in the kitchen influenced Garrett’s style of cooking. It is our pleasure to welcome you into our Ohana and we look forward to serving you.
California
“Festive, good service, special food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Roys has become a pretty wide chain, and for that reason I shied away from it for a while. I have since eaten there in Hawaii and Woodland Hills, CA and have been pleased with service and food. The menu is interesting and the food memorable. It is definitely pricey, but given that, you do get what you pay for.

Visited February 2013

78% Recommend
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Seafood taste bud explosion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

If you appreciate fresh seafood mixed with explosive flavor, Roy's is a great spot.

The tuna is world class and is their specialty. I always sit at the sushi bar as you can watch the entire kitchen work.

The conundrum white wine was a great value and complimented our entree selections. Service is top notch, fair prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
LA
“Overpriced and not that good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It always sounds like a good idea but they never really do it right.
The food is so so and I dont really get all the hype about Roys - Been to serveral of them and they are OK - I like the island feel of the restaurant but the food does nothing for me - And usually the service is not that great - Its expensive

Visited September 2012
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roys Restaurant, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry for not meeting your expectations. Do you have time to speak with our manager? My contact information is jlee@roysrestaurant.com. How may I connect with you?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes, Jeannie Lee @ Roy's
Providence, Rhode Island
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We ate at Flemmings nearby the night before and we figured Roy's was a comparable experience, so we decided to eat there the next night. What a disappointment from what we thought would be a very similar night out.

We called ahead to see when they close. They said we would be fine as long as we arrived by 10pm. We arrived at around 9:30p and sat at the bar and ordered drinks and asked for menus. We explained that we had one more in our party, and wanted to be sure to not miss when the kitchen closed. The last member of our party arrived at about 9:45. The bartender assured us we were fine.

We ordered appetizers and entrees at around 9:55p. By then our glasses were all empty, but none of the bartenders stopped to ask us if we wanted more drinks. At around 10pm our appetizers arrived and we asked the server to alert the bartender that we wanted another round.

We were starting to get discouraged with the slow bartender service. there were a total of 8 people in two parties at the bar - it was very slow, so there was no reason for the poor service. The food was great - as is usually expected at Roy's. Our second round of drinks order was taken by a different bartender (just another of the same) but no drinks arrived. At about 10:15p our bartender announced "last call". We explained that we had drinks coming and he said that that meant we couldn't order anything else and we would not be able to have any more drinks after the round that was coming.

Our entrees hadn't even been delivered yet, and we were not given any warning that Last Call was coming up soon. So we asked to speak to the manager. The bartender gave us a very hard time and argued with us at length about how last call works. I can assure you that this kid was a chump and didn't know what he was talking about. And he certainly didn't know anything about customer service. we repeated our desire to speak with the manager, but we got the feeling that we were being blown off.

After awhile our entrees arrived. Of course our second round of drinks were long gone by then. I don't think it took longer than it should have for the entrees to arrive, and they were delicious. But we agreed that it is absolutely sacrilege to serve an entree and deny a guest a drink with that entree.

We asked again to speak with the manager and got no satisfaction until we asked the other bartender. She said she would send for him. And at least she agreed to give us water!

When the manager finally showed up, he was very gracious and eager to address our concerns. Although I had the sense that he didn't actually care. He also seemed to have a rather slimy personality. He apologized and asked what he could do to fix the problem. We said that another round of drinks would be nice. He made the round himself, but he didn't know how to mix the mixed drinks. (He made a white Russian with just vodka and milk). I asked the other bartender if she could add some Kaluha to the White Russian, and she begrudgeingly obliged.

When it was time to leave, the manager gave us a business card for the general manager and asked us to please call her to explain what happened and perhaps she could make it up to us with another dinner. We were astonished that there was absolutely no offer to take anything off our bill, or provide a free round of drinks - nothing!

We agreed that there was no way we would ever come back to this restaurant - even if there was a chance for a free meal. Life is too short to waste time giving a place like this a second shot. I blame the general manager for allowing that manger to make us wait so long to speak to him, and I blame him for hiring such a chump bartender. Clearly they have some serious management problems in this restaurant, and it's not worth taking a chance when there are so many excellent alternatives in this same neighborhood. Too bad.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your detailed review and we are truly sorry to hear about your experience. While we understand that you wouldn't want to come back and dine with us, our Managing Partner would sincerely like to speak to you about your experience.

There is no excuse for poor service, ever, and we take such feedback very seriously. My contact information is jlee@roysrestaurant.com. What is the best way to connect with you?

Best wishes, Jeannie Lee @ Roy's
United States
“Amazingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I go to Roy's every time I'm in L.A. because the food and service both are excellent. They keep track of me in the computer, so they act like they remember me every time I visit (which I like.) Great wine selection. I recommend the fish trio which provides tastes of salmon, mahi mahi, and the famous misoyaki butterfish (a.k.a. black cod.)

Visited January 2013