“An excellent pre cruise hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2800 Via Cabrillo Marina, Los Angeles, CA 90731 (Formerly Marina Hotel Port of Los Angeles/San Pedro) (Harbor)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free WiFi + Bkfst
Ranked #86 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Edmonton, Canada
“An excellent pre cruise hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Reserved a balcony room overlooking the marina, which turned out to an excellent choice. The room was large, clean, and very well appointed. The view was great, watched our cruise ship arrive down the main channel.

The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The shuttle service was great, in fact because he was not busy the driver took us to the Queen Mary one morning, which I think is farther than they usually go. Book your transfer to the ship the day before and it works like a charm.

The restaurant was great, with a good choice and reasonable prices. The conceirge recommended the 22nd street fish market for dinner one night, walking distance along the marina waterfront, and it too was a hit.

Overall more than we expected, and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a room facing the marina, preferably with the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
An Excellent pre Cruise Hotel...Thank you for your well put comments. Thank you for choosing one of our FEW balcony rooms. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time. The balconies are truly incredible rooms. Night Sky's, Cool Breezes, Rocking Boats and those friendly sea lions. Why Not? I am happy the staff recommended to you the 22nd Street Landing although they are my very close competitor. They are pretty good after all and I think it demonstrates that the staff truly had your best interest at heart as I am sure they would have loved to have you eat with us when recommending and that makes me very happy. I am also very pleased to hear that the Drivers took extra good care of you. I hope seeing the Queen Mary added to your visit. It is a very nice attraction. Thank you Excellent pre Cruise Hotel. Your business and your comments are very much appreciated and we will continue to try. Tommy Spencer

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here overnight before our Disney Cruise. This hotel is in a great location, friendly staff, warm chocolate chip cookies on arrival, free Internet access in lobby area, free transfers to cruise terminal, stored our luggage while on cruise & picked us up from cruise back to hotel. Fantastic service......only downside was the restaurant area is very small but really overall all the other positives outweigh that! Rooms spacious too! Would recommend :)

• Stayed December 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I usually love staying at Double Tree. They are clean, have good service and usually decently priced. Unfortunately, the Double Tree in San Pedro falls way below any Double Tree I have ever stayed at.

We were staying here one night before a cruise the next day and lets just say I am happy it was only one night...

I arrived at 3 PM, well 2:55 and went to check in. They told me my room was not ready yet, but she just needed to call housekeeping and it would only be a minute. I walked around the lobby for a second and was quickly called back to the front by the front desk agent. She told me it would be another 45 minutes to an hour before my room was ready, even though check-in time was at 3. She then told me I was welcome to use the restaurant...

Strike 1: No apology, no attempting to make it better by offering a drink coupon or anything, just sent me in the direction of the restaurant. It would have been really easy for me to write a positive review if she had just apologized, that at least shows me that she cares. But I got nothing.

Exhausted from a 9 hour drive, we decided we would eat lunch in the restaurant. Normally I don't like to eat in hotel restaurants because they are over priced and usually not very good, but we did not want to drive anywhere and decided we would give it a shot.

Strike 2: The food and service at their restaurant is awful! For starters there was only 3 other people sitting there and there were 3 people serving. That would tell me each person would be responsible for one table and service should be quick. Oh was I wrong. We waited about 15 minutes just to be offered anything to drink and that was followed with a "What do you want??" We must have been inconveniencing her because she clearly didn't want to deal with us. 30 minutes later when we finally got the food it was so disgusting that we barely ate any of it because we thought we might throw up. We just wanted to get to our room, but we still had to wait.

After our experience at the restaurant we went back to the front and I told the guy that we needed to get into our room. He looked at me like I was an idiot and asked what our room number was. I told him we didn't have one yet, which seemed to confuse him. Another 5 minutes went by of him fiddling around with the computer and finally we got our keys.

Strike 3: I was never recognized as being a Honors Gold Member, I was never given any information about the hotel or about breakfast (which I am supposed to get for free as a benefit of being an Honors member) and I was still never given an apology.

We got up to the room, and the room was clean and it seemed fine. My only complaint with the room is all of the dirty sheets (surely from the people the night before) sitting in the hall right in front of my door. How nice. When we got in the room it was very warm, so we turned the A/C down a couple notches and left to get a couple last minute things for our cruise the next morning. When we got back our room was freezing. So we turned the A/C (not the heat) up just a little. Next thing we knew it was super hot again, so back to turning it down. This went on all night and we ended up waking up for good at 5am because we could not tolerate it anymore. There was no happy medium. It was either hot or freezing cold.

The hotel will allow you to arrange transportation to the port, but with how everything else had gone so far, we got a ride from family who was coming in that morning to cruise with us. We were able to leave our car parked at the hotel for the whole cruise, and honestly, that is the only reason I gave this hotel 2 stars instead of one.

A couple other things to keep in mind. There are tons of kids at this hotel cruising with their families and it is like staying at a Chuck-E-Cheese. The entire night there were kids running up and down the halls, slamming doors and being extremely annoying. No, this is not the hotel's fault, but I still feel they should have done something about this. Also there is no wireless internet in the rooms. They have wired, but lets be honest, who uses wired anymore? In this day and age you use tablets or smart phones, and I'm pretty sure no one has an ethernet cord in their phone.

In conclusion, this hotel is very close to the port, but there are other hotels close by as well. Even if you are an Honors member like me and want to stay at a Hilton because you want to use your points, or get points... Don't. I stayed there because I was able to use my points, so basically it was free, but I am not happy that I did. I wish I had saved my points and stayed elsewhere because this was not a good use of my points. Find somewhere else to stay if you are in the area for a cruise, I know we will.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Normally Love Doubletree...There were many things that I wanted to express after reading your review but all I want to say is that I am sorry. I am very sorry. For anyone reading this review please take note that I have obviously failed and I will attempt to correct to assure guest satisfaction but feel there are a few things I must say. The first is that check in is at 4pm and always has been across all channels for this hotel. If you find anything saying anything different I would love to know. We will attempt to accommodate an early arrival but cannot guarantee so the closer to 4pm you arrive the more likely it will be that your room will be ready. The second issue is the children. It is my experience that although we do participate with Disney that these Disney cruises are going to Hawaii and other exotic locations for many weeks and children are normally not involved. There are special occasions but normally only with those gracious and wonderful Grandparents who bring the Grandkids with them. You know who you are. Not many kids at all and in fact our hotel enjoys a good deal of airline, cruise, government and port related business that causes us to filled with traveling professionals adults and experienced cruise ship travelers. I am not sure what to say about the food. I wish you would have reported these issues. It is impossible for me to understand. Our food is fantastic and the reviews are great. We perform well above the brand benchmarks which are already very high and receive wonderful comments. The combined culinary team has over 60 year’s experience between my three full time chefs and I do employee an experienced restaurant owner and operator as my food and beverage director. Again I am very sorry. I will conclude by saying that I am very sorry. I wish that we had received your comments while you were here so that we could correct. For all others I will ask and let you know that if you encounter any problems at my property my cell phone number is published on my business cards and I am available 24 hours a day not to mention that I live less than 10 minutes from the hotel. I can be there quickly and would never tolerate service as described. If you experience any problems like these or others please reach out while you’re at the hotel and I promise you will leave happy. We do a wonderful job and I promise your satisfaction. I am sorry normally and I do hope you will reach out to me so that you may have the opportunity to stay again and make better use of those points by holding me accountable to what I say. Tommy Spencer
Phoenix, mAZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Spent one night at this property. We were booked on a 15 day cruise and found they would let us park our car in their lot without additional charges. From the time we checked in till we returned over two week later, everyone at the hotel treated us great. When we arrived the bell hop told us about the free parking., The front desk had our reservations in perfect order and two warm cookies waiting for us, Housekeeping had our room ready and in perfect order, even tho we checked in two hours early. I called the front desk and asked for a sea food restaurant in the area and they recommended 22nd Street Landing, a short walk from the hotel. Perfect. After a good night sleep we decided to enjoy the hotels breakfast buffet. Spendy!! The selection was good and the service was better. While we were having breakfast, Tommy, the hotel manager, stopped by and introduced himself (when was the last time that happened to you?). After breakfast the hotel shuttle delivered us to the ship and when we got back they picked us up and dropped us off at our car.

There were two things I was not happy about. No free wifi in the room and the price of breakfast.

We will be cruising again out of San Pedro and will be staying at the Doubletree.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view, even tho our room was on the other side. We got such a great deal using the CL...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ansbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Have you ever noticed the law of diminishing returns? I have noticed that at a certain point in hotel costs, you start getting less and less for the dollars you spend. Like the $350 hotel room I once paid for, only to find out that it cast $25 a night to park.

The Double Tree San Pedro has free parking. For the dollar, I would expect free internet and some sort of breakfast as well. The hotel uses it's perfect location to justify the cost, and it just might actually justify it. After spending an extended stay at this hotel, the location and it's staff are it's greatest assets. However I still struggled with the value, knowing that the main customer using this hotel will only stay one or two nights as they come and go from a cruise. Does the fact you can park your car here for a week at no charge justify the one night charge? Maybe it does. You are paying for car storage, security, and a night stay at a very nice hotel within walking distance to a lot of cool stuff.

The hotel is very clean, despite the enormous turnover of guest that I saw while there. The assistance I saw the staff give was way above par. The van drivers even gave a family a ride to Target and back when they discovered they arrived without swimsuits. They took a few other couples to local restaurants as well. My room, 204 (I think) looked over the Marina and had a balcony. It had a great view of the the oldest Yacht Club in America. I also could connect to the wireless internet offered in the lobby...even though the package I paid for came with wired internet in the room. As I was staying for an extended time, I had a large cooler in the room for food storage. I found out later that I could have rented a small refrigerator. I figure if someone was paying for that many nights, the frig might come complimentary, but I didn't ask. I left for one weekend (while keeping the room) and put the cooler in the bathtub in case it leaked. When I came back, the water had been drained, and someone had kept it full of ice. I figured they tried to move it to clean the shower and found it full, so filled it with ice. That was a nice touch.

If you are looking for a place to have a conference, this place is great. They supplies mine with incredible snacks that caused me to gain about 10 pounds the first week. I had to start using the well equipped gym, pool and hot tub to fight the bulge. The conference rooms are wired for sound (not sure if it is all of them or not) and the staff was awesome to work with.

All in all, I think the hotel is great. You just have to ask yourself if the price is worth the security of parking your car here for a week or more for free, the location, and the very attentive staff. If you are staying for an extended period, maybe you would prefer free breakfast and internet.

Room Tip: 204 gets the lobby wireless.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

This is a decent hotel, but I think it is overpriced for what you get.

You are paying for location. It is very close to the Port of Los Angeles, so if you are going on a Disney or Carnival Cruise you are literally minutes away. The location next to marina is nice for walking and the views, but the amenities are lacking for the price of the rooms. For example, there is no fridge in the room (you can rent one for an extra cost), no free breakfast, no included internet access.

There is internet access in the rooms...if you pay for it, and if you have a cable to access it. There is no wi-fi in the rooms at all. There is wi-fi in the main lobby area, but there are no quiet spots due to the fact that the restaurant and bar are open to and part of the lobby. When we were there some huge party was going on and it was very loud in the lobby area. I was trying to do some work because all I had was my tablet (so I could only access wi-fi) and I finally gave up and went upstairs around midnight, and the party was still going strong. Yeah, it was a Friday night, but it was disappointing that there were no quiet areas to work in.

The pool was clean, but frigid. My kids, who love to swim, spent about 20 minutes in the water and then had to get out because they were freezing. The ice cold water is probably really nice in August, but not so great at the end of October.

Our room was nice and clean, so were the linens. The bed was pretty comfortable. The bathroom had a sliding door on it, and no lock. This didn't bother us but might both some people. There is also no fan in the bathroom, so it gets very steamy and the mirror foggy, and you have to wait for it to clear.

The door to the hotel room had a slow-closing mechanism on it to prevent the door from slamming shut, but it was a total pain because you either had to wait for it to close totally, or you had to manhandle it closed. If you don't wait, your door is wide open and anyone can just walk in, and if someone was trying to push their way through the door you would not be able to close it quickly. I don't think this is very safe, especially for women traveling alone. This hotel is also very spread out, so you will be doing a lot of walking to get to your room depending on where it is located.

The final thing to be aware of it that since this hotel is so close to the port, if you like to sleep with the window open you will hear a constant (about every 90 seconds) horn blowing. I am not sure what it was, but it was constant. And it seemed to increase in frequency about 6:30 am. You can't really hear it when the windows are closed, though. Our room was also overlooking the marina, so maybe it wasn't as noticable on the other side of the hotel.

If you want to be close to the Port, you can't beat the location. But you won't get as much for your money as you would at another hotel. You can find packages online that will add to what you get for your money (such as comp. breakfast, etc.), so I would recommend searching these out if you plan on booking here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

If you are cruising out of San Pedro this hotel is the best place to start and finish you journey. They have a great hotel with friendly hosts and good food. Plus the free parking while you travel and shuttle service to and from the ship! You might want to use a GPS to get you there but its worth the trip to this great hotel!

Room Tip: Front door cobble stones can be noisey with baggage carts.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro? Share your experiences!