“Great views, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 11 sites
Save Saved
You added Hotel Erwin to your Saves list
Hotel Erwin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1697 Pacific Avenue, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great views, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I chose this hotel primarily for its views onto Venice Beach. The hotel was of a higher standard than I expected, it was clean and I stayed in a recently refurbished Ocean View King room. For me it was worth the extra money as I enjoyed the start of sunset from my balcony and also had breakfast (which was good) out there.
The cocktails on the rooftop bar were well made and good value and the view of the sunset from up there was brilliant.
I was able to leave my bags with the valet attendant in the morning for him to put in my car and then I came an collected my car early afternoon once I'd wandered round exploring the local area.
Not the cheapest hotel, but not the most expensive hotel with good beach views either!

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean View King and enjoy the views across the beach and out to sea.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We’re happy to hear we surpassed your expectations! Nothing beats waking up to a gorgeous sunrise from the comfort of your private balcony and catching a sunset on the rooftop. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again.

Team Erwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
El Cerrito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

There is a lot to like about the Erwin. It’s a small boutique hotel in the heart of Venice Beach, just a block off the sand. While some might find the neighborhood a little off-putting; we found it fun and urban. The roof top bar is great, and the restaurant downstairs served surprisingly good food and had very friendly service. The beds are pretty comfortable and the minibar is well stocked.

The views sucks unless you get an ocean view or sunset ocean view room (we fortunately booked the former). I posted a pic of the view. Our room was well over $400/night, and I don't think the service or room warranted the price.

Lastly, in the evening the tiny lobby and the rooftop bar were filled with quite a few 30 year-old adolescents. I'm just past the point where I find that energy fun, but if you still drink Jägermeister or wear a retro hat of some kind...you might be entertained.

All that said, we'd stay again during the week but probably not on the weekend. And I probably wouldn't spend more than $275 for an ocean view room.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms if you want any view or just piece and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re happy to hear you had a fun during your time with us and thank you for sharing that gorgeous photo you took! We take pride in the details and you’ll see that in our quirky minibar setup. We’ll see you next time your travels take you to Venice Beach.

Daly City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here for business about a month ago and the people were very accommodating. They were a preferred hotel by my company and when I checked in they had upgraded my room. The room itself was quite nice, it was a 1 bedroom with a large living room and dining nook. The only thing I didn't like was that the area itself was not that nice. It was late summer/early fall so there wasn't much going on at the boardwalk area except for smelly homeless people. The wireless at the hotel worked great though and I certainly would stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind review. We’re happy we met your business needs but hopefully you’ll come back, next time for pleasure! The boardwalk and the entire city of Venice for that matter come alive during the summer! We can’t wait for your return.

Until then,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed at the hotel but we were mainly there to celebrate and host a friend's birthday party at High Lounge and it couldn't have been more perfect..The weather was gorgeous, the views are amazing, the food was delicious, the cocktails were to die for and the DJ set the right mood. It took very little effort on my part to plan this party because I had it catered through the hotel. The catering staff were very professional and everything went very smoothly and exceeded my expectations. Regarding the hotel stay, the staff were extremely nice (they knew we were there to celebrate a birthday and sent us up a complimentary bottle of wine). The rooms are clean and the location is perfect.. right off the strand. I live in Los Angeles and don't know why I've never been here. Definitely one of my new favorite spots.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing those awesome photos! We’re happy to hear you and your guests had a fabulous time on the rooftop and that the DJ kept the good vibes flowing. We like to make event planning as seamless as possible for our guests and our catering team is full of superstars. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Erwin and we’ll see you next time!

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We took my parents to Los Angeles and were so confused about where to stay. Last trip my husband and I stayed in Downtown LA. But this time we got a great deal at Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach. It was a beautiful hotel. Right next to the beach. They gave us a FREE upgrade on both of our rooms. The rooms are trendy and modern with comfortable beds. We walked around during the day and at night we headed up to the rooftop bar. We were two minutes away from Santa Monica. And we were very close to Universal Studios, Walk of Fame and Beverly Hills and Tar Pits. It was wonderful to visit busy LA in the day time and retreat to Venice at night. My husband and I ran in the mornings and passed Muscle Beach and found the beautiful Venice Canals. All in all it was a wonderful place to stay. The staff was super friendly and the valet guys were awesome! We all had a wonderful time! Thank you Hotel Erwin!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We’re so happy to hear you and your entire family enjoyed your experience with us! Venice Beach is a destination for all ages and you never run out of things to do! The Venice Canals are a hidden gem and make for great running paths. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope you’ll come back for a visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a few days off work and wanted to spend a few days in Venice. I have been coming to venice for twenty years, but always just day trips. We wanted to experience the whole area. A friend of ours suggested Hotel Erwin.

We started our stay at "High" the rooftop patio at the hotel. The view was gorgeous and the service was great.

The hotel staff was very helpful with advising where to go for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We ate each morning at "Barlo" the hotel restaurant. It was so good we had dinner there one night as well. The burger was great and had some nice craft beers as well. Not at all too pricey! My girlfriend and I split the poutine and enjoyed it so much we ordered another one. She had a cucumber gin drink which she loved and mentioned they were not shy with the gin. We also went to Larry's bar beside the hotel. Good food there too and an awesome bartender!! We went to go have a couple drinks and had to have a few more because are bartender was so fun.

We were very happy with the service provided. Starting with the front desk, then the cleanliness of the room, the service at High, the suggestions made by staff and the valet guys! This was a great little vacation!!

If we stay in Venice again it will be at Hotel Erwin

• Stayed October 2013
What a kind review! Thank you for sharing your Erwin Experience with us! Hotel Erwin is truly a one-stop shop when on a Venice Beach adventure. Breakfast at Barlo is one of the best in the area and the poutine during dinner simply can’t be beat. We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but visited the roof terrace at sunset to enjoy a cold beer and the brilliant view from the comfortable seats - not to mention some interesting people watching amongst the trendy clientele. Not cheap, but we didn't object at all to 'paying for the (brilliant) view'

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for stopping by High Rooftop Lounge! There’s really nothing better than relaxing on the rooftop during a warm afternoon. While our prices are comparable to LA prices, what really sets us apart is the gorgeous view. We hope you had a safe journey back home and that you’ll stop by the next time your travels take you to Venice.

Team Erwin

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!