“enjoyed the hotel but not the venice area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Erwin

Save Saved
You added Hotel Erwin to your Saves list
Hotel Erwin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1697 Pacific Avenue, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Now to Save 15%!
Ranked #28 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manchester Uk
“enjoyed the hotel but not the venice area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

stayed for 2 nights in the Erwin in late march, enjoyed the hotel, the rooftop terrace was great as was the restaurant. However did not enjoy Venice, full of weirdos , tattoos and homeless.

we travelled from the erwin as our base as we just did not get Venice, I would stay at the hotel again if I was happy to stay within the hotel, but if I was looking for a base maybe I would not choose Venice again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
Altrincham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We loved staying in this hotel on Venice Beach after a long drive from Las Vegas. The location was perfect for the beach and promenade areas and there were plenty of great restaurants within walking distance

The staff were incredibly relaxed and friendly, the food, drinks and ambience of the restaurant and bar areas fabulous.

The rooms were quirky but very pleasant.

Loved our stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
beantown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

One of those moments when I know i am getting older-on my recent visit to Venice beach with my 18 yo son looking to move to the area. i dont know the previous history, however the current Hotel owners definitely gave it a valiant effort to renovate over an old no frills three star type of hotel to its current existence. the room i was in (304) was small but updated with a decent tv, mattress, clean crisp sheets, small bath separated with a slider( not optimum with a roommate) kept clean from what i could see. the downstairs restaurant, though tiny, had a decent breakfast and the hotel has made every attempt to offer full service with the space they have to work with. The roof is gigantic and is a great party spot for sunsets, although it was just too cold on our visit to enjoy. Walls were on the thin side and not the best for light sleepers. the room was priciey- i didn't enjoy my view and the dumpsters smell lining the alley outside my room- ask for the other side, needless to say i didn't open the door for fresh air. valet was convenient but on the expensive side at $30 a day.
the area around the hotel is where is was feeling my oats- very dirty with lots of trash from the beachgoers and a carnival like ( not in a good way) atmosphere with all the stalls selling tourist junk. Wasn't the safest feeling getting coffee early morning and walking around at night with lots of what appeared to be homeless people. I think next time ill stay down the beach and ride a bike to the boardwalk if i want to visit the carnival for the day...

Room Tip: stay off trash alley and away from the trash trucks that come through at 7 am
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

What can I say? From the moment I arrived for an impromptu visit until I left everything was truly fantastic. I am a seasoned traveler and event planner (Domestic/International) and have high (but reasonable) expectations.Hotel Erwin has an amazing team (Michal, Steve, Aaron, Athena,Erin, housekeeping, valets, front desk, barlo staff- to name a few). The valet staff -awesome, front desk well informed and friendly, room service took under 20 minutes, the Barlo burger and truffle fries? to.die.for... High rooftop Lounge is- a- must, curl up with a blanket in one of the seating areas (killer view no matter where you are ) and tuck into some wonderful small plates and drinks (they accommodate gluten free diets), the view is simply perfect. My room was lovely (very roomy, the colors, bedding, toiletries, and artwork top notch) private deck with sliding doors created an outdoor living-nice touch! Michal was the perfect host for my stay- plan to come back soon to stay and hold a meeting or two in the hotels versatile meeting space! Not your typical hotel to say the least! Thanks for making my first visit to Venice Beach a memorable one!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Shetravels468,

We all agree here that the Barlo burger is the best in town. Thank you for the staff mentions, we will make sure to pass them along. I see this was your first trip to Venice Beach; hopefully it will not be the last.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Erwin in April 2012.
There were 4 of us (girlfriends) and we shared a Partial Ocean View Suite.
STAFF: The valet and front desk team are fabulous, even when I backed my rental car into one of the pillars out front! Very helpful in recommending places to hire bicycles, bars, eateries. They printed us off a map to help us get to Hollywood because we didn't get GPS!
ROOMS: Very modern, funky... Bright yellow bathroom! The beds were comfortable, the sofa bed was alright too & big enough to accommodate 2 adults females! The view was gorgeous, even with only a part Ocean View but you have to expect that you are in a city and there are car parks, alleyways immediately below. Ask for a high floor!
LOCATION: The ONLY hotel that is right on the front of Venice Beach. Literally 20 seconds walk out the door and you're on the promenade with all the street vendors and entertainers everywhere. 4 minute walk to Muscle Beach ladies!!!!
NIGHTLIFE: I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant (Barlo) but we did get to experience High Rooftop Bar, if I get the chance to stay here again, I will reserve a table for one night. The view at sunset is incomparable, rumour has it the bar at High attracts some celebs during the summer although I didn't see anyone famous. The sofas all have heat lamps and the waiters provide you with blankets on a chilly evening. The cocktails are POTENT! Also, right around the corner is 'The Townhouse" has a comedy & burlesque night downstairs on a Wednesday evening with no cover charge. For the music fans out there 'The Townhouse' is where LMFAO filmed the video for "Sexy and I Know it"
All in all a great stay and I hope I get a chance to stay again some day!

Room Tip: High Floor & Ocean View. Also the suites are great as they have extra space for families/fiends
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear BrightonTA2012,

Thank you so much for such a great review about your trip to Venice Beach. We love to read comments about our staff and the hotel like this. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Hope to see you back soon!

The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I arrived early and the room was not ready. The staff offered to valet park the car so that we could walk and get something to eat. When we came back I was given an ocean front room. It was on the second floor and overlooked the parking lot. There was some sketchy guy walking in the parking lot staring up at me while I stood on the balcony. This made me feel uneasy since I was staying there alone. The front desk staff was very accommodating with offering me alternate rooms. The third room was perfect for me with a partial ocean view and a partial city view. It was on the 6th floor I believe.

The negative for this room is that it's right next to a concrete stair case that leads down from the roof top terrace. It was very noisy when people would run down the stairs, especially women in high heels. I'm a very late sleeper so this didn't bother me but I know it would bother some people.

All the rooms I looked at were very nice. The property was recently renovated. Some of the rooms are very small. Ask to see whatever is available until you find the one you like. The rooms were very, very clean. I'm extremely picky about that and they passed with flying colors.

The hot water in the shower was lukewarm. The staff would come by each day to ask you if everything is ok. When I told him about the lack of hot water someone was in my room working on it within minutes. I went for dinner and when I came back it was fixed.

The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful whenever I needed them. I was visiting family in the area. The staff was accommodating in allowing my family members to utilize the valet parking whenever they came to visit me.

The rooftop terrace was lovely. It has an excellent view of Venice Beach, the ocean and downtown. The drinks and food were all very good. Apparently it gets crowded up there so the staff is pretty annoying about asking if you have a reservation. They will seat you without a reservation but will repeatedly inform you that the table is reserved and that you will have to move once the other party arrives. I understand the need to say that once but not to continue to repeat it.

They also allow people to stand and enjoy the rooftop which can be unpleasant for the seated guest. People are hovering over you, getting into your space to take pics and leaving their empty glasses and plates on your table. That was very unpleasant.

It gets cold at night so the terrace has heat lamps and plenty of blankets. It's a really nice atmosphere late at night when it's not so crowded.

The crowd seemed like a young, hip and European crowd when I was there. So they could be boisterous. I'm easy going so it didn't bother me but something to consider if you're looking for something more sedate.

The location is excellent. It is one block from the middle section of Venice Beach. There are lots of nice restaurants with walking distance. The boardwalk is right there. The beach is right there. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The room right next to the staircase leading down from the roof top terrace can be very loud. The se...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear teaharbor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Erwin, we really appreciate it. I will make sure to pass along the great comments to the team here. We hope to see you back soon!

atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that when we arrived, I realized that my take on Venice Beach 30 years ago when I was in my 20s is not my take on Venice Beach today. I wanted an oceanfront room and remembered that Venice Beach was really interesting and funky. What did not sink in was that a Venice Beach hotel would likely be a reflection of the area. And, it was. A run down exterior, located located right next to a very loud tattoo parlor, with rooms that felt a bit dirty and run down, with furniture from the 1970s. This was not the quiet ocean front get away we were looking for [my bad]. The room smelled musty. It was big enough and the furniture definitely was retro - not that comfortable but cool to look at. It all had a kind of "we really haven't updated anything since the 1970s" feel to it. The staff was accommodating. But the whole experience was a bit too earthy and funky for us. Which may be more of a statement about us than the hotel. Bottom line is that you should know what you are getting - a fairly run down hotel in a very noisy & eclectic section of the beach. Not a place to relax and unwind but if Venice is your scene, then this might be the right place for you. BTW, parking was $33/night - not something which we were happy about given that the rooms were already a bit expensive given the hotel's condition.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear aaag,

Thank you for taking to time to give us the feedback and tell us about your most recent trip to Venice Beach, I am sorry to read that it did not meet your expectations. Venice is a very unique and diverse area which makes it such a great place to visit while in SoCal. Rest assured I will share this review with the rest of the management team and take action on the things we have control over. We went through a recent upgrade/renovation almost a year ago and the design and decor is retro, but all furniture in the hotel is relatively new. Should you decide to give Venice another try please contact myself directly and I will make sure you have a great time.

Hotel Erwin

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!