“Funky hotel in Venice Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Erwin

You added Hotel Erwin to your Saves list
Hotel Erwin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1697 Pacific Avenue, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
LONDON
“Funky hotel in Venice Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Erwin is a colourful , funky hotel in the middle of a run down area in Venice Beach.
If your expectations are hig... don't go there....

If you're settling for Venice Beach with its run down beach front shops (but not the arrogant LA attitude) this is the place to be.

Room was colourful , spacious and the beach view was great.

Personnel was extremely helpful, both with our vehicle and our last minute requirements

I'll be back there

Room Tip: choose a beach front room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TEREHDEC,

We were glad to read you enjoyed Venice Beach and your stay at Erwin. Thanks for the great comments about the staff and the hotel. We will be sure to pass them along to the team!

Hotel Erwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed here last July 2012. Never having been to LA before we didn't really know what to expect, but after reading good reviews on tripadvisor we decided the Hotel Erwin looked perfect for our stay. The room was really lovely, we each had a huge queen bed to ourselves and although the bathroom was quite basic it had really nice organic toiletries. The only bad point is that the entire hotel smelt a bit soapy like a laundry room, but it wasn't really a bad smell, just quite overpowering! The minibar food they leave on the desk is sooo nice but can get quite expensive (well at least it can if you can't stop eating it like we couldn't). The location is perfect, a short stroll away from Venice Beach and a longer walk up to Santa Monica. The staff were really helpful when we were booking taxis and deciding where to go on days out. I will definitely consider staying at Hotel Erwin again when I go back to LA in the future!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Katie P,

Thanks for posting your review about Hotel Erwin. I am so happy to read that you liked the area and sounds like you made the right choice. Our staff will be thrilled to read this review. Please choose us again next time you’re in Venice Beach.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a funky hotel on the beach in Venice. The hotel staff was absolutely excellent. The rooftop lounge is an incredible place to watch a sunset. For the uninitiated, Venice is a little seedy and carnivalesque. The partial ocean owe rooms require you to step out onto the balcony. The beds were comfortable and very clean. The funkiness of the rooms derives from the 70's era decor. Overall great value, clean, comfortable, convenient with awesome staff. I would stay here again.

scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear TLunedi,

I agree, the rooftop view and sunset is amazing, best part of my day. Thank you for the great comments about the hotel and staff, we really appreciate your support. Hopefully we will see you back soon!!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've stayed at the Hotel Erwin several times when in LA. Great location right on Venice Beach. Rooms are clean with friendly staff and a decent value. The gym leaves a little to be desired, but hey you can always run on the beach which is right out the door. Nice roof top bar as well.

Dear M D,

Thanks for your quick review of Hotel Erwin. You are correct, although our gym is a little smaller; we have the world famous Muscle Beach nearby. I will make sure to pass along the comment about the cleanliness and the service to the team who will be very happy to hear it.

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

7day business trip residence.Very nice, clean modern rooms with lots of space, also in the bathroom. Location directly at the beach and next to crazy Venice boardwalk. Cafés and Stores nearby. View from the rooftop terrace is amazing.
And they have a great roomservice team.

It only does not feel safe, being outdoor alone after nightfall in that area. But this feeling completely disappeared after sunrise.

We had a great time.

Dear Moxymom,

I agree, the rooftop view is amazing. Whenever it’s a busy day, I always take time to go up there and take in the wonderful view, best part of my day. Thank you so much for you kind review and we hope to see you back soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location is fantastic, the price is excellent for an oceanfront room (at least in January when we have stayed), and the staff provide excellent customer service. Specifically when we called to book our room, Lisette was helpful in our booking, and when we checked in Nicole was very accommodating. In years prior, we stayed on the 5th or 6th floor and when we checked in to the 3rd floor room, you get closer to the street noise and the ocean front view is blocked significantly. Not a problem, Nicole had our room moved the next day for the remainder of our stay! I would recommend requesting a 5th or 6th floor room- the 6th floor has had a complete renovation and the rooms are gorgeous. Also, the bathroom doors shut fully on the 6th floor! Which leads to the main downfall of the Erwin are those damn sliding doors that don't shut all the way when you use the restroom. We had a suite this year as we took my husbands sister with us and should note that the suites with a sleeper sofa are not available on the newly renovated 6th floor.
Breakfast at the onsite restaurant Barlo downstairs is excellent and affordable (their room service prices aren't crazy either- just a $3,50 charge as opposed to $3.50 plus 18% etc). The upstairs roof top bar is such a lovely place to watch the sunset. They have heat lamps and blankets for when the sun goes down.
The design of the place is funky with graffiti type murals in the rooms and old rock n' roll and bodybuilder pictures in the hallways. Their is a sunglasses rack in the room where you can purchase a pair for around $15 in case you forgot yours. It's a fun place with lots of great bars and restaurants, and of course the beach all in walking distance.
We look forward to returning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jkinz,

I was thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Looks like you go the full Erwin/Venice Beach experience. We really appreciate you taking the time to write the review and share with future visitors all that we have to offer. Thanks and we hope to see you back again soon!

Coral Gables, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Booked an ocean front room. When I opened my room door I noticed that my view was of the neighboring parking lot. I returned to the front desk where I was informed that all rooms on the 4th floor are "ocean front." I was given a breakfast voucher for my trouble. I feel strongly that the hotels claim of ocean front views are practically fraudulent.

Aside from this issue, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The room is well appointed, the bathroom is modern and large. The location is only a block to the beach and 10 mins from street with restaurants and boutiques.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Jmclaughlinjr,

Thank you for choosing Erwin for you recent stay in Venice Beach. I apologize about the miscommunication of views for certain rooms types; however I am happy to see the team made up for it. Please contact myself directly next time you are in the area and I will make sure we are on top of getting the correct room for you the first time.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!