“VeniceViews” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Erwin

Save Saved
You added Hotel Erwin to your Saves list
Hotel Erwin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1697 Pacific Avenue, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Now to Save 15%!
Ranked #27 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
Hamburg, Germany
“VeniceViews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

7day business trip residence.Very nice, clean modern rooms with lots of space, also in the bathroom. Location directly at the beach and next to crazy Venice boardwalk. Cafés and Stores nearby. View from the rooftop terrace is amazing.
And they have a great roomservice team.

It only does not feel safe, being outdoor alone after nightfall in that area. But this feeling completely disappeared after sunrise.

We had a great time.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Moxymom,

I agree, the rooftop view is amazing. Whenever it’s a busy day, I always take time to go up there and take in the wonderful view, best part of my day. Thank you so much for you kind review and we hope to see you back soon!

673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location is fantastic, the price is excellent for an oceanfront room (at least in January when we have stayed), and the staff provide excellent customer service. Specifically when we called to book our room, Lisette was helpful in our booking, and when we checked in Nicole was very accommodating. In years prior, we stayed on the 5th or 6th floor and when we checked in to the 3rd floor room, you get closer to the street noise and the ocean front view is blocked significantly. Not a problem, Nicole had our room moved the next day for the remainder of our stay! I would recommend requesting a 5th or 6th floor room- the 6th floor has had a complete renovation and the rooms are gorgeous. Also, the bathroom doors shut fully on the 6th floor! Which leads to the main downfall of the Erwin are those damn sliding doors that don't shut all the way when you use the restroom. We had a suite this year as we took my husbands sister with us and should note that the suites with a sleeper sofa are not available on the newly renovated 6th floor.
Breakfast at the onsite restaurant Barlo downstairs is excellent and affordable (their room service prices aren't crazy either- just a $3,50 charge as opposed to $3.50 plus 18% etc). The upstairs roof top bar is such a lovely place to watch the sunset. They have heat lamps and blankets for when the sun goes down.
The design of the place is funky with graffiti type murals in the rooms and old rock n' roll and bodybuilder pictures in the hallways. Their is a sunglasses rack in the room where you can purchase a pair for around $15 in case you forgot yours. It's a fun place with lots of great bars and restaurants, and of course the beach all in walking distance.
We look forward to returning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jkinz,

I was thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Looks like you go the full Erwin/Venice Beach experience. We really appreciate you taking the time to write the review and share with future visitors all that we have to offer. Thanks and we hope to see you back again soon!

Coral Gables, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Booked an ocean front room. When I opened my room door I noticed that my view was of the neighboring parking lot. I returned to the front desk where I was informed that all rooms on the 4th floor are "ocean front." I was given a breakfast voucher for my trouble. I feel strongly that the hotels claim of ocean front views are practically fraudulent.

Aside from this issue, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The room is well appointed, the bathroom is modern and large. The location is only a block to the beach and 10 mins from street with restaurants and boutiques.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Jmclaughlinjr,

Thank you for choosing Erwin for you recent stay in Venice Beach. I apologize about the miscommunication of views for certain rooms types; however I am happy to see the team made up for it. Please contact myself directly next time you are in the area and I will make sure we are on top of getting the correct room for you the first time.

Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed for a night at Hotel Erwin in December. I was very impressed with the quality of the service I received from the front desk staff. They were friendly, helpful, and authentic. The room was clean and well-appointed. I appreciated extras like q-tips in the bathroom (a very simple thing, yet most hotels overlook it). We received an excellent discount through Discover Los Angeles which made the price of the hotel very affordable. Valet parking was rather expensive, but it's optional so I guess you can skip it if you're looking to save money. I wish the weather had been nicer so we could have enjoyed the rooftop bar. The location of the hotel is spectacular and only steps from the beach. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Meghan1214,

I am so glad to read that you were impressed with the great service during your visit; that’s what we’re all about. Thank you for mentioning the little extra that we do to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations, we really appreciate it. We hope to see you back soon at Erwin!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

From the moment the four of us entered the hotel, we were treated like just the people they were all waiting for. And when the reception desk worker discovered that our room wasn't yet ready, he presented us with a voucher for complimentary breakfast. Which, by the way, was delicious, fresh, and beautifully presented. The rooms (we got 2 suites) were large, retro-edgy, and well-appointed. The rooftop bar was amazing. DO take your earplugs, because due to the location, there is constant and loud street traffic, up to and including 3:30 AM. But don't stay there if you don't want to be in the scene. If you do want that, you can't do better on Venice Beach than this hotel. We will definitely look for the opportunity to return.

Room Tip: Stay off the street side if you want a quieter experience. But that won't guarantee it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jwh_10m,

I love to read reviews like yours, it makes my day. We were so happy to hear that Erwin was exactly what you were looking for and we want to say a big thank you for choosing us. We hope that you can make it back again sometime soon!

Sao Jose dos Campos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our view was for an alley. The tinted glass bathroom sliding door provided no privacy in the toilet. A lot of extras, such as internet connection, valet parking (very expensive). The comfort was not too bad, but for the price that was expected.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marina311,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay. I apologize that you felt there was a lot of extra charges and that the view was not as you would have liked. I will make sure to follow up with my team so they explain the certain room types and views associated with them. Please contact myself directly next time you are in the area and I will make sure you have a view better to your liking.

Los Angeles, CA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Wasn't even a guest at this hotel, needed a favor from the reception desk and the receptionist working (Yerin, I believe) was more than helpful and went above and beyond. Because of this hospitality I would definitely recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Max L,

I love to see that your very short interaction compelled you to write the review. I want to say thank you for the kind words about our employee and we hope to see you as a guest sometime soon!

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!