“Perfect LA beach weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Erwin

You added Hotel Erwin to your Saves list
Hotel Erwin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1697 Pacific Avenue, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, CA 90291 (Venice)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Claremont, California, United States
“Perfect LA beach weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

For my wife's birthday I surprised her with a little weekend beach getaway. We could not have been happier with the time we had at Hotel Erwin in Venice. The rooftop bar at the hotel, "High", is amazing. I don't think there is a better place to watch a sunset in LA. The drinks hit the spot as well. After drinks, that Friday evening happened to also be "First Friday" on Abbot Kinney. Hotel Erwin is in a great location to walk to the street/food truck fair as well as everything else in the Venice Beach area. It was the perfect evening. The next morning could not have worked out better as well. Our with a delicious breakfast in Barlo was followed by a walk along the famous Venice boardwalk. The hotel is not only in the perfect location for the ideal LA beach experience, but it is extremely hip and comfortable at the same time. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Josh W,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, High Rooftop Lounge, and Barlo, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the local area as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. I hope your wife’s birthday was a memorable experience.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I had to travel to Venice Beach, LA CA for business and stayed at the Hotel Erwin. It's currently under construction but the staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. This was my last stop on a rather long trip and I forgot to call that I was planning to check-in early, but they tried very hard to accommodate me even though I showed up 4 hours ahead of check-in time. While I waited for my room, no less than 3 groups came down to check-out who asked if they could stay another night because they loved it so much.

The room I stayed in (4th floor) was outdated by about 5-6 years - had a very funky vibe and graffiti art on the entry wall. However, the bed was comfy and they got my the hypoallergenic pillows I'd requested. There was noise from a bar below and a lot of light, but the drapes solved the problem pretty effectively. The balconies they offer are pretty small and have chic versions of folding camping chairs on them which I didn't find very comfortable - unless it's really warm out, I'd save your money from the balcony and just enjoy a regular room if you can't get the full ocean option.

BEST PART about the hotel is it's proximity to the actual beach (very short, easy walk) and the rooftop lounge. They had delicious food, great drinks and an excellent staff, but if you want to go up there and have a seat to watch the sunset, call ahead, even on a weeknight. That said, you can stand and get great pictures (see below) even if you don't have a table reserved.

Enjoyed my stay, if you're going to Venice to experience that location's vibe, no way you'd be disappointed. If you're not into the culture and funky atmosphere, may not be your thing, but you should at least stop by to check out the rooftop deck!

Room Tip: There are very few rooms with full ocean views, so try to reserve them with the upgrade option they...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ana O,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Hotel Erwin was one of my little splurges on my last trip in SoCal...my boyfriend and I were looking forward to a boutique eclectic style experience & Hotel Erwin did not disappoint. During our stay, the hotel was undergoing some renovations however, we were not inconvenienced what so ever & the $10 restaurant vouchers in exchange for the disturbance made up for it. The service at this hotel was exceptional; Anderson the Valet was a gem. He catered to all our needs and went way beyond the duties of his job title. We also had a chance to try their new restaurant which was slightly pricey for breakfast but the choices were so interesting & yummy we didn't really care when the bill came! Another fun feature of the hotel is the rooftop deck with the cozy couches and a perfect view of Venice Beach!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sembriaco,

Thank you so much for posting a review to share with everyone here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate it. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and i will be sure to pass along all the great comments to the entire team including Anderson.

It's great you had a chance to try our new restaurant Barlo. The food in there is amazing and i try to eat there often. Next time the SoCal Skillet if you didn’t this time, its the best!!

Best,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Well, another amazing stay at Hotel Erwin last month when I needed to be in LA for work - the staff is incredible. The GM Ben is the nicest guy as well for special needs or requests. But honestly from valet to front desk to the maid-service you can't get a bad service at this place. I am headed back down at the end of this month and this time bringing people to entertain there. With great food, the rooftop deck, the beach you can be there for work, pleasure, a romantic weekend - it is all worth it!

Room Tip: Spend a little more for the partial or full ocean views - it is worth it!
Dear Clare M,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed you stay once again. The staff all knows you and we love to have you on propertry. We look forward to seeing you later this month.

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

A very classy hotel just steps from the freak show of the Venice Beach strip. We were upgraded to a suite which was fantastically huge, modern, and comfortable. The rooftop bar is fabulous and affords great views. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with view/partial view of the beach. Higher rooms are best although you don't wan...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Martamom,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed your suite. I am happy to hear you ate at Barlo, I make it a point to eat there at least once a week becuase the food is so amazing.

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I had a fabulous happy hour work event at Hotel Erwin’s High. We had an amazing view of all Venice, and great drinks. With the excellent help of the sales team, and Mina specifically, the event was a huge success.

Dear Jenn_M3112,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin and High Rooftop Lounge, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the High Rooftop louugne as well. The view from the rooftop is the best part of my day.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I love this place! Hotel Erwin is right in the heart of Venice beach, making it such a fun & unique location. I've been here quite a few times during the Venice art crawl, and recently planned a work get-together at their rooftop lounge. If you are looking to throw a party/event, ask for Mina, the sales/events coordinator. She is super friendly & extremely helpful. The rooftop food was amazing (the sliders & the quesadillas rocked my world). I will definitely be back.

Dear LadyWestside329,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the High Rooftop louugne as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. I agree, the Sliders and Quesadilla's rock my world as well.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!